Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Tuesday, October 15th, 2013, 07:59 AM

DJSTEVEZ is on a distinguished road
Question HELP: WiFi In Aruba

Hi gang,

I'm making my annual 2 week pilgrimage soon. The WiFi situation at La Cabana is unclear at best. It appears that LCB has installed there own WiFi system, but they can't quite figure it all out and as such, is tantamount to it not even being there. As I hear it, LCB is no longer selling the Setar card. It is unclear if they have just stopped selling the Setar card (presumably so as to eliminate competition with their own in-house system) or if Setar coverage is no longer reliable there. Interestingly enough, as I hear it, the Setar card is available at the front desk of the Tropicana, right across the street from LCB.

According to the La Cabana online forums, MIO is the way many are going to access WiFi @ LCB, but it's a tad pricey, and you have to rent some of their gear.

Can anyone shed some light on the WiFi situation?

THANX! -Z-
Old Tuesday, October 15th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HELP: WiFi In Aruba

Steve... I don't know anything about LaCabana's Wi-Fi since I don't stay there. How long are you staying in Aruba?

I used MIO last February for a month, and it was better and cheaper than Setar.

You don't rent any equipment.. The MIO device is as small as a credit card, and you plug it into any socket, and can use 5 devices with it. There's no charge for it. There's a one time activation fee.. and, each year you bring the device with you... stop at MIO, and they'll re-activate it at no cost. You obviously pay in front for time, and that's it.

I think I paid something like $66 and change for a month, and it was wonderful.

Maybe Liz of NJ will see this, and give you more info. Depending on how long you're staying is the key as to whether MIO's for you or not.
Old Tuesday, October 15th, 2013, 01:29 PM

DJSTEVEZ is on a distinguished road

Wow, that's a bargain. Thanx for the info.

I just purchased a WiFi repeater. In years past I've been able to pick up Amsterdam Manor's free WiFi with no problem. The repeater will pick up their signal, clean it up, secure it, and rebroadcast it with enhanced speed and strength. If that doesn't work I'm going to MIO. Thanx again! Best, Steve
Old Friday, October 18th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road

La Cabana does now have free Wi-Fi. I came back from La Cabana 1 1/2 weeks ago. I don't know how good it was as I used MIO. I did see many people using their laptops in the lobby. I'm not sure if it was because they were not getting a good signal in their room.

I purchased the MIO device 1 1/2 years ago. As Elaine stated its good for up to 5 devices (laptop, iphone/smartphone, I-pad, etc). The cost of the device at that time was AFL. 49, (approx. $28 US). I was told that all I would probably need for surfing the net and emailing was 4gbs. The monthly cost for gbs. was AFL 69, (approx. $40. US including tax) for a month. If movie/you tube watching, they suggested at least 6 gbs at an additional cost. See alert below about charges.

I think Elaine said she or a friend set up the devices on her MIO. I didn't want to try to set-it up myself so I brought my laptop and I-pad into to the MIO office and they did it for me. I have a iphone this year which they set-up when I went to pay for this years service (the monthly charge). I didn't think of charging the device before going to the store. It took longer for them to make sure it was working as they had to recharge the device.

I stated above that I paid $28 US for the device. Now I was told that the price went up to $38 US as it is a new model. But MIO started a promotion a month ago that the device is FREE. The lady I spoke to did not know how long the promotion will run.

You can pre-order the device on their website Mio Wireless . I was told you would receive an e-mail confirming the order. You would bring the confirmation e-mail to either the MIO office downtown or at Cellular Express at the new Super Foods.

Alert:

I found out is that if you are using MIO for part of one month and part of the next month you are paying a pro-rated cost for the 1st month (depending on how many days) and the full cost of service for the next month.

Last year my stay in Aruba was during April. I paid $39 (69, AFL) even though I was not there for a whole month of April.

This year I started service on Monday, Sept. 30th (the last day of the month). I paid approx. $2.00 US for that 1 day and a then another $40. (69, AFL) for the month of October even though I departed Aruba on Monday, Oct. 7th.

As example if someone arrived on the 15th of a month and stayed until the 15th of the next month they would have to pay for 15 days ($20 approx.) and $40 for the next month even if staying 1/2 month. That would be $60 for 1 month. If they can pro-rate the days in the 1st month, I don't understand why days in the 2nd month can't be pro-rated also.

I still love MIO.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook