Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Aruba Grand/Riu

Aruba Grand/Riu This Forum is for Aruba Grand/Riu Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Monday, August 14th, 2006, 11:21 AM
rdharles's Avatar
rdharles rdharles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: August 13th, 2006
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Posts: 78
rdharles is on a distinguished road
Default Latest Aruba Grand picture

Have you seen the recent picture on RIU's website for the "new" Aruba Grand.
If you didn't know any better, you'd think they had completed the remodel already...
R.D. Harles



http://www.riu.com/en/hotel/hotel_riu_palace_aruba.html
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old Monday, August 14th, 2006, 02:57 PM
AuntieMame's Avatar
AuntieMame AuntieMame is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: March 20th, 2006
Posts: 595
AuntieMame is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

I'm gonna miss the old girl with her never-crowded beach and very good restaurant.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old Monday, August 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM
rdharles's Avatar
rdharles rdharles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: August 13th, 2006
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Posts: 78
rdharles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

I couldn't agree more. The whole reason we purchased a timeshare at the Grand 2 years ago was for just that reason. We liked the ability to walk to all the restaurants we ever wanted yet had a nice big quite beach to hang out on during the day. It was perfect.
Right now, all I can do is hope for the best come week 9, 2008. (I assume it will be in full swing by then).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old Monday, August 14th, 2006, 04:12 PM
AuntieMame's Avatar
AuntieMame AuntieMame is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: March 20th, 2006
Posts: 595
AuntieMame is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

I'm sure all the small properties will be gone soon.

We had better enjoy the Manchebo while Ike Cohen lives, because once he's gone I suspect there will be big changes.

(Robert came very close to selling us on a share at the Grand)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old Monday, August 14th, 2006, 04:58 PM
LynnS LynnS is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: May 29th, 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 473
LynnS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

AHHHHHHHHHHH the "good old days" Glad I have pictures for when my memory starts to fail.
__________________
LynnS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old Thursday, October 19th, 2006, 04:21 PM
doreen doreen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: March 5th, 2005
Posts: 40
doreen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Will the RIU be a timeshare?????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old Thursday, October 19th, 2006, 07:07 PM
rdharles's Avatar
rdharles rdharles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: August 13th, 2006
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Posts: 78
rdharles is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
Will the RIU be a timeshare?????
Nope. The new RIU will not be a timeshare. Only existing timeshare owners will still have timeshares there. Once the contracts are done, that's it for timeshares at the former Aruba Grand.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old Friday, October 20th, 2006, 08:19 PM
JohnL JohnL is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 6th, 2006
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 179
JohnL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Looks like a HUGE resort...... quiet will be a thing of the past. Oh well.

Thanks for the photo update.

I just sent an email to Debby requesting information. Is there an estimated completion time other than what we were originally told in the closure letter of 12/12/2005 which was we'll be notified in "due time?"

Any information would help to reassure Aruba Grand Royal Palm Club members and curb rumour and propaganda.

I shall report when and if I get a reply from the powers that be.

Thanks again,
__________________
John L
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old Thursday, October 26th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Corrine's Avatar
Corrine Corrine is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: April 27th, 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,430
Corrine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Hey John,

My husband's co-worker was offered an "upgrade" on her domestic timeshare to a week at the "Aruba Grand" in Aruba for January 2007. Odd, since there is no Aruba Grand. Do you think this RIU will be done by December, so should she try for a different deal?
Any input you have will be helpful, thanks!
__________________


Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old Thursday, October 26th, 2006, 10:36 AM
rdharles's Avatar
rdharles rdharles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: August 13th, 2006
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Posts: 78
rdharles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Last I heard, there was chance they'd be done "early" possibly by Aug. 2007.
(I believe Lynn got this information from Richard this past summer.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #11  
Old Thursday, October 26th, 2006, 12:43 PM
JohnL JohnL is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 6th, 2006
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 179
JohnL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Hi:

I doubt this is a legitimate offer. Maybe January 2008! RIU/AG will not be ready until November 2007 at the earliest, at least that is what Debbie Hassell, Richard's assistant, told me last week. rdharles sent me recently taken photos of the Grand property and the construction is far from complete. Debby also told me nobody is allowed on the property except authorized workers. The latest Ag picture is a futuristic photo of what the new RIU/AG property will look like upon completion and it is on the RIU website.

But I'd like to hear more about this offer; who made it, and what were the circumstances and details? If it further appears to be a legit offer, have someone let me know and I'll inquire with AG management.

My private email is lajoie@privateinvestigator.com

Thanks,

JL
__________________
John L
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old Thursday, October 26th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Corrine's Avatar
Corrine Corrine is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: April 27th, 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,430
Corrine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Thanks, John. My husband doesn't have the details on who offered this. He will not see the woman until Monday. If he finds anymore out, I will email you,thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Hi:

I doubt this is a legitimate offer. Maybe January 2008! RIU/AG will not be ready until November 2007 at the earliest, at least that is what Debbie Hassell, Richard's assistant, told me last week. rdharles sent me recently taken photos of the Grand property and the construction is far from complete. Debby also told me nobody is allowed on the property except authorized workers. The latest Ag picture is a futuristic photo of what the new RIU/AG property will look like upon completion and it is on the RIU website.

But I'd like to hear more about this offer; who made it, and what were the circumstances and details? If it further appears to be a legit offer, have someone let me know and I'll inquire with AG management.

My private email is lajoie@privateinvestigator.com

Thanks,

JL
__________________


Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old Thursday, October 26th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Carol's Avatar
Carol Carol is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Posts: 451
Carol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine
My husband's co-worker was offered an "upgrade" on her domestic timeshare to a week at the "Aruba Grand" in Aruba for January 2007. Odd, since there is no Aruba Grand. Do you think this RIU will be done by December, so should she try for a different deal?
Corrine, by any chance could they mean the Occidental Grand Aruba? Now that the Occidental uses the name "Grand", it gets confusing.
__________________


Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old Thursday, October 26th, 2006, 10:34 PM
LynnS LynnS is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: May 29th, 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 473
LynnS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
Corrine, by any chance could they mean the Occidental Grand Aruba? Now that the Occidental uses the name "Grand", it gets confusing.

I would think this is more likely. The RIU site will not take any reservations in 2007.
__________________
LynnS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old Friday, October 27th, 2006, 07:33 AM
JohnL JohnL is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 6th, 2006
Location: Sterling, MA
Posts: 179
JohnL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Good Morning Folks:

To clear the speculation, what follows is the latest email I received from Debby Hassell, who is an office administrator for Aruba Grand (and is still employed):

Hi Mr. Lajoie,

The construction is going pretty fast and I heard they are pushing for Oct /Nov 2007 opening if not earlier, whatever the case I am sure letters will be sent to the Time share member advising them in time of the reopening

As far as I understand all contracts will be honored as is and therefore you would still be able to use weeks off the back of your contracts.
No plans for renovations of the timeshare units ( as yet)
The all inclusive plan is optional for the timeshare guests, if they wish to purchase the plan they may do so, otherwise they will have their own bar & restaurant where they will be able to drink & eat and charge to room if they so wish.


Richard's number is 011-297-5864775
My number is the old one 011-297-5863900

I have to inform you that no one is allowed on property at the construction site.

Hoping to have answered your question accordingly

Best Regards
Debbie

And so, it appears unlikely that Aruba Grand/RIU offered any upgrades as they are not taking reservations. But I sure wish they were.

Thanks,

JL
__________________
John L
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old Friday, October 27th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Corrine's Avatar
Corrine Corrine is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: April 27th, 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,430
Corrine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
Corrine, by any chance could they mean the Occidental Grand Aruba? Now that the Occidental uses the name "Grand", it gets confusing.
Carol,
Knowing my husband, this is a strong possibility! He will see her on Monday and will get more info! The other odd thing is that they want $900 EACH for the AI. Isn't that alot?
Thanks Lynn & John!
__________________


Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old Friday, October 27th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Carol's Avatar
Carol Carol is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Posts: 451
Carol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine
Carol,
Knowing my husband, this is a strong possibility! He will see her on Monday and will get more info! The other odd thing is that they want $900 EACH for the AI. Isn't that alot?
Corrine, I think it's a lot, but then again I never go AI as I don't eat/drink enough to make it worthwhile.

I'll bet it is the Occidental Grand Aruba. They were giving timeshare owners a special rate of $110 pp/pd, so I wouldn't be surprised if they think $900 pp is a good deal for a week.

After reading some of the reports on the Occidental Grand Aruba's restaurants, I wouldn't be willing to pay $900 for a week there. They limit you to the amount of specialty restaurants you can eat at (I think it's a maximum of 4 for the week), and the rest of your meals have to be at the buffet. There have also been complaints about the buffet food, that it's continually recycled.

She'd probably be better off getting a package to Aruba, banking her timeshare week and trading into Aruba, or renting a timeshare in Aruba. All of those options would probably be less expensive in the end, and she could eat where ever she wanted, and spend what ever she wanted on food/drinks. Paying $900 pp for a week would mean that they were spending $257 a day on food and drinks for two of them. I can't imagine spending that much.
__________________


Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old Saturday, October 28th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Corrine's Avatar
Corrine Corrine is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: April 27th, 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,430
Corrine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Thanks for the info regarding the AI situation, Carol! I will have Steve pass this on, on Monday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
Corrine, I think it's a lot, but then again I never go AI as I don't eat/drink enough to make it worthwhile.

I'll bet it is the Occidental Grand Aruba. They were giving timeshare owners a special rate of $110 pp/pd, so I wouldn't be surprised if they think $900 pp is a good deal for a week.

After reading some of the reports on the Occidental Grand Aruba's restaurants, I wouldn't be willing to pay $900 for a week there. They limit you to the amount of specialty restaurants you can eat at (I think it's a maximum of 4 for the week), and the rest of your meals have to be at the buffet. There have also been complaints about the buffet food, that it's continually recycled.

She'd probably be better off getting a package to Aruba, banking her timeshare week and trading into Aruba, or renting a timeshare in Aruba. All of those options would probably be less expensive in the end, and she could eat where ever she wanted, and spend what ever she wanted on food/drinks. Paying $900 pp for a week would mean that they were spending $257 a day on food and drinks for two of them. I can't imagine spending that much.
__________________


Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old Wednesday, November 15th, 2006, 03:30 PM
rdharles's Avatar
rdharles rdharles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: August 13th, 2006
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Posts: 78
rdharles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Latest Aruba Grand picture

Have you guys seen this recent picture? This thing is going to be HUGE!

http://www.aruba-travelguide.com/bul...pic.php?t=5741
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
latest Aruba Grand pictures lindaspooky Aruba Grand/Riu 24 Monday, December 18th, 2006 01:05 PM
Latest Aruba Grand Pictures lindaspooky Aruba in General 1 Monday, November 27th, 2006 02:52 PM
natalee--facts and rumors dwippies Aruba in General 986 Tuesday, July 19th, 2005 09:42 AM
Question - How Do Drugs Get In Aruba Liz from N.J. Aruba in General 74 Wednesday, June 22nd, 2005 04:48 PM
Aruba Photos - A Short List daka630 Aruba in General 4 Saturday, June 12th, 2004 10:50 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2006 -2011 - CaribMedia.com