Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General > Polls

Polls VisitAruba.com Polls

View Poll Results: would you use this car rental company again?
2 plus car rental --yes 2 1.82%
2 plus car rental --no 1 0.91%
ace car rental --yes 5 4.55%
ace car rental --no 6 5.45%
adventure car rental --yes 0 0%
adventure car rental --no 0 0%
alamo car rental --yes 6 5.45%
alamo car rental --no 1 0.91%
all drive car rental --yes 1 0.91%
all drive car rental --no 1 0.91%
american car rental --yes 3 2.73%
american car rental --no 6 5.45%
amigo car rental --yes 5 4.55%
amigo car rental --no 4 3.64%
aru rentals nv --yes 0 0%
aru rentals nv --no 0 0%
asha nv --yes 0 0%
asha nv --no 0 0%
avis car rental --yes 4 3.64%
avis car rental --no 4 3.64%
bon bini car rental --yes 0 0%
bon bini car rental --no 0 0%
budget rent a car --yes 9 8.18%
budget rent a car --no 5 4.55%
caribbean car rental --yes 2 1.82%
caribbean car rental --no 2 1.82%
carnaval rent a car --yes 0 0%
carnaval rent a car --no 0 0%
clemie's car rental --yes 1 0.91%
clemie's car rental --no 0 0%
courtesy car rental --yes 0 0%
courtesy car rental --no 0 0%
deal on wheels rent a car --yes 0 0%
deal on wheels rent a car --no 0 0%
dedicated 2 u rent a car --yes 0 0%
dedicated 2 u rent a car --no 0 0%
dollar rent a car --yes 2 1.82%
dollar rent a car --no 1 0.91%
ec rent & sales --yes 0 0%
ec rent & sales --no 0 0%
econo car rental --yes 26 23.64%
econo car rental --no 2 1.82%
economy car rental --yes 6 5.45%
economy car rental --no 2 1.82%
enterprise car rental --yes 2 1.82%
enterprise car rental --no 0 0%
family car rental --yes 0 0%
family car rental --no 0 0%
george drive yourself --yes 0 0%
george drive yourself --no 0 0%
gotcha car rental nv --yes 0 0%
gotcha car rental nv --no 0 0%
hertz car rental --yes 6 5.45%
hertz car rental --no 3 2.73%
jenny five car --yes 0 0%
jenny five car --no 0 0%
more 4 less jeep & car rental --yes 5 4.55%
more 4 less jeep & car rental --no 0 0%
national car rental --yes 5 4.55%
national car rental --no 0 0%
optima rent a car --yes 11 10.00%
optima rent a car --no 1 0.91%
royal car rental --yes 16 14.55%
royal car rental --no 4 3.64%
ruba rental car --yes 0 0%
ruba rental car --no 0 0%
supercar rental --yes 1 0.91%
supercar rental --no 2 1.82%
thrifty car rental --yes 4 3.64%
thrifty car rental --no 2 1.82%
topdrive --yes 2 1.82%
topdrive --no 0 0%
toyota rent a car --yes 6 5.45%
toyota rent a car --no 0 0%
tropic car rental --yes 29 26.36%
tropic car rental --no 2 1.82%
value car rental --yes 2 1.82%
value car rental --no 0 0%
van gijn car rental nv --yes 0 0%
van gijn car rental nv --no 0 0%
venus car rental --yes 0 0%
venus car rental --no 0 0%
viva car rental --yes 0 0%
viva car rental --no 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sunday, January 24th, 2010, 12:38 PM

drfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the great car rental poll and ratings thread

Just wondering what Royal is really like.

I just booked and PAID for a car in 2 weeks... We needed an SUV(7 passenger and they seemed good so far, but we have not landed yet!

They have offered so far
Quick email response , the best price, the most choices ,

However I see some reviews that say they don't have the car when you show up and they rent junk that breaks down and not very helpful.

Is this just one person posting several times or should I cancel the reservation and go with the Favorite here..Tropic...They are a few dollars more but I just want a decent car(that i reserved) and quick service.

Please tell me I never made a mistake as having a lousy broken down SUV would not be a highlight for our trip as we plan on doing some exploring and spending some time driving.

I have been with Alamo before and they lost our Confirmation and jammed us twice the price for a junky car even though I had a prebooked package...Live and learn...Never again with Alamo.

Now I am not sure who to go with ....Once bitten as they say...
Thanks
Derrick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Sunday, January 24th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

yes, i saw that there are a few negatives. your problem is that you need a larger vehicle so there are limited resources. so far, the positive votes far outweigh the negatives. i would contact them again 2-3 days before your vacation (btw, when did you say you were leaving?) and verify to remind them. then i wouldn't worry about it. it's been a while since the last complaint so i am assuming they corrected their problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfisher View Post
Just wondering what Royal is really like.

I just booked and PAID for a car in 2 weeks... We needed an SUV(7 passenger and they seemed good so far, but we have not landed yet!

They have offered so far
Quick email response , the best price, the most choices ,

However I see some reviews that say they don't have the car when you show up and they rent junk that breaks down and not very helpful.

Is this just one person posting several times or should I cancel the reservation and go with the Favorite here..Tropic...They are a few dollars more but I just want a decent car(that i reserved) and quick service.

Please tell me I never made a mistake as having a lousy broken down SUV would not be a highlight for our trip as we plan on doing some exploring and spending some time driving.

I have been with Alamo before and they lost our Confirmation and jammed us twice the price for a junky car even though I had a prebooked package...Live and learn...Never again with Alamo.

Now I am not sure who to go with ....Once bitten as they say...
Thanks
Derrick
Old Sunday, January 24th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by getaway View Post
Royal gives you a free cell phone? We do not use a cell phone in Aruba but the last visit, I was thinking...what if something happened when we were out and about and no phone.
How are their rates and service compared to Hans?

We normally would not care about a cell phone, but it does come in handy for calling the local friends we have made over the years, as well as reservations, etc. I can't compare to Tropic - we've never used them before. But then we are limited because of our need for a larger vehicle. We've always been pleased with the rates at Royal as well as the service. Boy, looks like I'm the only who has never met Hans!! We have not made our reservations for this year yet, but will in the next couple of days and then will post the rates for a van.
Old Friday, January 29th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Royal gives you a free cell phone? We do not use a cell phone in Aruba but the last visit, I was thinking...what if something happened when we were out and about and no phone.
How are their rates and service compared to Hans?

We made our car reservations with Royal, and the cost for a Van is $630 for 2 weeks (we have 6 people). For the next 10 days it's just me and Frank, so of course we downsize to a car and for the 10 days it will cost us like $225(?-I already forgot). He said we got a discount for renting 3+ weeks. And they will give a free phone if there is one available - that wording seems new this year. Apparently they have had issues with people not returning them. If it's not returned, the customer pays a fee, but Royal still doesn't have the phone available then and has to purchase more. One year we had to go back the next day to get our phone.
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 06:55 PM

lobe is on a distinguished road

We find it easiest to book online from one of the major international companies that have offices at the airport. This is not the third world, where you have to use locals --you can use Hertz, Avis, National, Alamo, Dollar, etc.. Use a comparison site like sidestep.com to compare prices, or use your Entertainment/AAA discounts. Relax with the knowledge that a major company here in the States will have your back if you need customer service. Relax with a selection of cars, not just Yarises. Relax with frequent-flyer miles or rental-frequency points. Relax with the fact that no one's going to take your car away for a "surprise wash." Relax in knowing that no one will be trying to avoid airport vendor fees by trying to do paperwork on the sly as you're walking your bags through the airport.
Old Friday, February 5th, 2010, 08:28 PM

ArubaMichele is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobe View Post
We find it easiest to book online from one of the major international companies that have offices at the airport. This is not the third world, where you have to use locals --you can use Hertz, Avis, National, Alamo, Dollar, etc.. Use a comparison site like sidestep.com to compare prices, or use your Entertainment/AAA discounts. Relax with the knowledge that a major company here in the States will have your back if you need customer service.

NOT TRUE!!! We had issues with Avis in Aruba in 1998. It is a company that LEASED THE AVIS NAME. They paid a fee to Avis to use their name. We had no support from Avis in the USA and was told there is nothing they can do because of the name lease agreement. This is the same with several of the "Major Intl Companies". In fact, the Hertz location in Aruba is a division of DePalm Tours not operated by the Hertz corporation.

Trust me when I tell you that the local companies treat you much better than the big companies. Besides all of the local companies offer discounts with either internet bookings or if you own a timeshare on the island. I will rent with the office site locals any day over the "Major Intl Companies".
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 12:36 AM

getaway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Has everyone forgotten about SKYPE??? If I remember correctly, it costs about $.021 per minute from Aruba to the USA or vice versa. Of course, both the calling party and the number called must have Skype. But....how can you beat that? I've tried it for the past few years to call home, speak to the grandkids, etc. ...it's like Mom's apple pie!!
Someone else mentioned SKYPE to me. I'll have to check it out when we travel again. Thanks for the reminder, Darryl. Hope it's not too complicated for this old broad.
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Administrator

getaway, it is really easy. i taught a friend a few weeks ago and she has no computer experience. skype is great and simple. saves a fortune on phone calls and makes life very very easy. you will love it.

Quote:
Someone else mentioned SKYPE to me. I'll have to check it out when we travel again. Thanks for the reminder, Darryl. Hope it's not too complicated for this old broad.
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 01:16 PM

getaway is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: the great car rental poll and ratings thread

Thanks Sherry....will definitely be checking it out.
Old Saturday, February 6th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArubaMichele View Post

NOT TRUE!!! We had issues with Avis in Aruba in 1998. It is a company that LEASED THE AVIS NAME. They paid a fee to Avis to use their name. We had no support from Avis in the USA and was told there is nothing they can do because of the name lease agreement. This is the same with several of the "Major Intl Companies". In fact, the Hertz location in Aruba is a division of DePalm Tours not operated by the Hertz corporation.

Trust me when I tell you that the local companies treat you much better than the big companies. Besides all of the local companies offer discounts with either internet bookings or if you own a timeshare on the island. I will rent with the office site locals any day over the "Major Intl Companies".

You are SO right ArubaMichele. I would never use Avis, Hertz, etc. Like ArubaMichelle said, they aren't run by the companies they're named for. They are the biggest ripoff going, and they do not offer any more safety or reliability, and they certainly don't allow you to "relax". They actually rely on customers thinking that using the so-called Major Intl Companies is the best way to go. But that is so wrong. Local is the only way to go here.
Old Wednesday, February 10th, 2010, 12:34 PM

PTgirl is on a distinguished road

Hey all, we were just in Aruba and rented a 4 wheel drive jeep from Royal Car rental for a day. They had the jeep at our rental house a few minutes early to make sure they could find the place. Paperwork was easy to fill out. Jeep was relatively nice, the glove box wasn't the best, but just what we needed for off roading on the East side. They came back the next morning at 9 am to pick up the jeep and finished the paperwork with no problems! Very happy with the experience.

Old Tuesday, February 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM

lobe is on a distinguished road

Sorry, Roschone and Michelle -- I always check with the US-based customer service offices, who ensure that I will get the car class I requested and be charged exactly what their booking engine quoted -- and if not, they offer to gladly step in and fix the problem or offer a refund. Alamo, Dollar, Thrifty, National - they've all been wonderful to us!
Old Friday, February 26th, 2010, 12:22 PM

john is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: the great car rental poll and ratings thread

Just returned from 5 weeks in paradise. We rented from Hans at Tropic. The rates were the best and so was the service. When we left terminal hhis man had a sign with our name on it. We walked to parking lot and he loaded our bags. We gave him the form we had filled out online and we were on the road in 5 mins. Halfway thru the visit Hans came out, picked ou the car and washed and cleaned it. Never had that happen before. When we left, we met his man in front of departure terminal. He gave us our copy of bill and done in 5 mins again. What a pleasure to do business with Hans. Highly recommended!!!
Old Friday, February 26th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Darryl is on a distinguished road

See? You have joined the ranks of Hans' devoted customers! Tropic and Hans would not receive SO MANY accolades if they didn't provide the service that they do! Keep up the great work, Hans and Denis!!!

Old Thursday, June 17th, 2010, 12:42 PM

lalala is on a distinguished road

I wish i would have known about this rental poll before renting with ACe(Usave) It would have saved me a day of head ache.

budget saved in the end

cheers
Old Friday, August 13th, 2010, 05:01 PM

hcazoo is on a distinguished road
Default the great car rental poll and ratings thread: re Tropic

I have started the process of setting up a rental with Hans at Tropic, got an initial email back stating that it was not a confirmation, apparently wanting me to confirm that I would use their service. I responded, several times now, and have not heard back.

From the glowing reports regarding his level of service, my concern is that something might have happened to Hans.

I continue to await a reply. I will have to make a reservation with another company if I don't hear from him (arriving on the 23rd). I have never used Tropic in the past, but decided to go with them after reading the rave reviews on this forum.

If anyone in Aruba would like to check in and make sure Hans is ok, that would be great.

Henry Allen
Old Friday, August 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM

Hello! Hans had written to me a couple of weeks ago that he was preparing to leave on holiday with his family to Holland. Perhaps you should try to contact his partner, Denis. You're right, it isn't like Tropic not to respond. Denis may just be swamped with business while Hans is away.

Old Friday, August 13th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Administrator

you are totally right. when denis picked us up last friday he was swamped and looked exhausted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Hello! Hans had written to me a couple of weeks ago that he was preparing to leave on holiday with his family to Holland. Perhaps you should try to contact his partner, Denis. You're right, it isn't like Tropic not to respond. Denis may just be swamped with business while Hans is away.
Old Friday, August 13th, 2010, 05:48 PM

OK - I will wait a little longer to hear from Denis. Thanks for the replies!

Henry
Old Friday, August 13th, 2010, 06:10 PM

One Happy Island Re: the great car rental poll and ratings thread

You might try phoning Denis...if he's not in the office, he, I'm sure will respond later on.

Old Saturday, August 14th, 2010, 03:11 PM

Got an email from Hans today - all set. Now I can stop sweating the details and look forward to sweating as I walk the beach!
Old Sunday, August 15th, 2010, 08:30 AM

You can always count on Hans!!!

Old Sunday, August 15th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Almost Aruban

ruba4ever is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping to hear from Hans myself....we have already sent him our info and he hasn't sent me the forms to fill out yet. I am waiting patiently...but at just 34 days away....I will probably send him a note at the 30 day mark....glad I checked this thread....now I know that he was on holiday.....love this bb................
ruba

Old Sunday, August 15th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Administrator

ruba, he sends them a week or two before usually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruba4ever View Post
I'm hoping to hear from Hans myself....we have already sent him our info and he hasn't sent me the forms to fill out yet. I am waiting patiently...but at just 34 days away....I will probably send him a note at the 30 day mark....glad I checked this thread....now I know that he was on holiday.....love this bb................
ruba
Old Sunday, August 15th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Almost Aruban

*sighing with relief*....thanks honey.....I didn't want to panic...but I couldn't remember how long it took last year for Hans to get the forms to us......I will now wait patiently....

get to fun...that's an order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Sunday, August 15th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Seeing Hans when he greets us at the airport is one of the highlights of our stay in Aruba!!!

Old Sunday, August 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Almost Aruban

I'm with ya Darryl...it means you have arrived and that you are on your way.....woohoo....

Old Sunday, August 15th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Just made our arrangements for Payless/Optima for September.
Received a very professional response and a good rate (which I believe is between 5% and 10% less than last year).
This is our 3rd year with their agency.
Payless seems to work well with the off-airport business. I really like that they bring you back to the airport and drop you off in front of the departures building...no hassle with car return at the airport.

(Have used several others depending on need over 20 years...Econo, Economy, TRAC, Tropic and maybe a couple more.)