Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Tuesday, March 1st, 2011, 08:47 PM

JamieCNM is on a distinguished road
Cool Fruit in aruba

Does anyone know of a open air fruit market in Aruba? Maybe near the docks where the cruise ships come in? Someone mentioned this to me and I can't find any info. Please advise!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Aruba Expert

LocaLisa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fruit in aruba

Sadly there are no open fruit markets anymore, there used to be one in-front of the Royal Plaza in Oranjestad where the Venezuelan boats came with fresh fruits, fish or other goodies. The place still exist but the goods they sell are mostly t-shirts and souvenirs.

There is a place close by a couple of blocks behind the Royal Plaza it's called Virgilio it's a fruit market partly open aired and their fruits come from Venezuela.

You can by fruits at Ling and Sons supermarket they bring from everywhere and also sells local produce.
Old Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

We have a watercolor drawing of the place (near the Royal Plaza) that LocaLisa describes. We remember when it was called The Fruitmarket and it is mostly what was sold. We're going back to the late 80's when there were no US-style supermarkets on the island.
LocaLisa, is it relatively easy to find the Virgilio store?
Old Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
Aruba Expert

LocaLisa is on a distinguished road

Sure, if you take the road between Royal Plaza and the bus station drive 7 to 8 blocks in north direction. If correct on the 5th or 6th there is a supermarket on your left (the ex-Ling and Sons in the early 90's) already from that distance you can see a house on your right (not the one in the corner but the one next to it) ahead of you with the name Virgilio on it. Very easy
Old Thursday, March 3rd, 2011, 05:43 AM

Manzanita is on a distinguished road

Local fruit is amazing! We received an Arubian Papaya last December that was sweet, juicy & FIRM from a dear friends garden! Always loved Hawaiian Papaya until we tried the variety grown in Aruba.
Old Thursday, March 3rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

In principal, there were two major suppliers of local fruit and vegetables. The first one was the wharves mentioned in this thread and the second was the "Chinese Garden" of "Fontein" on the North Coast. Of the two, Fontein was commonly considered to be the best and freshest producer of fruits and vegetables. While only a few hundred yards from the rough and beautiful ocean waters on the Northern side, the water that fed the vegetation there pure and sweet. Not a drop of salt in it. As a matter of fact, that is still the case today. If you go there, you will find the old abandoned farm house. Walk straight through it to the back and you will encounter a man made pool/pond that the spring spills into. What amazed me is that there are tiny little fish in there. I was at a speech given by a Dutch scientist many years ago and (amongst other things) he touched on "Fontein" and said that they had proven beyond a doubt with tracing techniques, that the water there comes from a large lake in Venezuela. Fontein, by the way, is the Dutch word for Fountain.
The fruit that came from Fontein tended to be tastier and 'fuller' - for lack of a better term. The tomatoes were delicious and we used to make tomato sandwiches with them. At our home, they delivered the "Fontein" veggies and fruits about once a week as far as I recall.

The Wharves were a combination shopping, social and outing experience. Calls would come in that a certain small shipment of (for example) bananas had arrived and my grandmother would run off to her room and come out all powdered up and off to pick up the friend that had called her for them to do their shopping. For the mundane daily needs of literally potatoes and onions or Yucca, our housekeeper would go. Joining her was much more fun. The varied housekeepers would do their buying and put it in large hemp bags which they then tied together into a tight bundle and place on their heads to carry back to the house. This included going up the staircase with that balanced on the head. Those outings were much more fun since other kids would be there and we would get together and throw rotted fruit out in the water. there was always an abundance of spoiled fruits and veggies floating around. It created a funny odor that was different and not unpleasant. It smelled like a large fruit garden floating out there. Slowly the ships started to bring over dry goods and then other supplies and soon the fruits and vegetables were replaced with large stocks of t-shirts and other such items to sell with the produce. Finally the produce just dwindled away to what it is today. While the odor is gone, the memories aren't.

Commonly, when looking for really great produce today, I have to say (without prejudice) that Ling and Sons is the leader. When inside their produce department, I am forced to feel I am not in a major USA produce department.

Happy apples to you.

be well
charles
Old Sunday, March 6th, 2011, 02:00 PM

phillyboater is on a distinguished road

Charles is this in the vicinity of Fontein Cave? Can you give directions if not?
Old Sunday, March 6th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Hi Phillyboater,
I read Charles' great description and directions, but I also feel that there is no need to go beyond Ling's. I love fruit, and buy their cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes.pineapples, apples, etc. I LOVE all of it. I'm in Aruba for a month and I truly enjoy the produce (veggies also) as much if not more than U.S. produce. I've been in Aruba for 26 years and must say there is a huge improvement with the fruit and veggies since I first came. There was a time that I would bring fruit and veggies from home, but not now!!!
Old Sunday, March 6th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Aruba Expert

Yes it is. they are within a mile of each other. Also in that same vicinity is a wonderful outdoor sort of small snack bar - restaurant that serves deeeeeliscious fish. It is fresh fresh fresh and pan cooked right there and then to the table. I have eaten grouper (when available) there and it is soft and chunky and buttery.

By the way, Junior feels they make the best hamburgers in the world there.
Lots of onions,lettuce and tomatoes on monster patties with nice fresh buns.

be well
charles

PS
I HOPE I AM NOT GIVING THE IMPRESSION THAT THE FRUITS ARE STILL BEING GROWN THERE. THE ENTIRE ENTERPRISE WAS ABANDONED SOME TIME AGO AND WHAT IS LEFT MAKES FOR EXCELLENT PHOTO OPS AND THE PLACE IS A HIDDEEN GEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyboater View Post
Charles is this in the vicinity of Fontein Cave? Can you give directions if not?
Old Monday, March 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM

phillyboater is on a distinguished road

Charles
Understood your post completely. Looking for the history and photo op. Thank you. Assume you are referring to Boca Prins Restaurant. We love it. Great location and great food. Love the burgers also.
Old Monday, March 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Aruba Expert

Yes I am. By the way, you can walk there from the restaurant.
c

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyboater View Post
Charles
Understood your post completely. Looking for the history and photo op. Thank you. Assume you are referring to Boca Prins Restaurant. We love it. Great location and great food. Love the burgers also.