Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Friday, August 12th, 2011, 02:33 PM

DJSTEVEZ is on a distinguished road
Question Resource For Available Timeshare Weeks?

So this is the 2nd time in as many years that I've been able to negotiate myself an "Available" timeshare week to piggy-back on my existing timeshare week and end up with a 2 week stay. The 1st week is at a (so called) low-rise resort which I own, and the 2nd week at the Surf Club.

The thing is this...I'm looking to find out what the best resources are for Available Timeshare Weeks. Prior to discovering RedWeek.com, I've been limited to eBay (with which I've done well) and Craigslist (which I would not only prefer to not use, but with which have repeatedly struck out).

I recently learned a valuable lesson with all of this too. To the more seasoned than I, this will be the equivalent of telling you water is wet...The 1st priority is to buy the plane tickets at their cheapest price...which is usually when they're 1st released. I used to wait to secure the Timeshare week I wanted until I went (in my mind) all in and purchased the plane tickets. 2 years in a row now that cost me big time. My experience tells me now that the Available Timeshare weeks are more plentiful and available than airfare at it's cheapest price and I'll now act accordingly .

Thanx in advance for any help and/or leads! Cheers, -S

Last edited by DJSTEVEZ; Sunday, August 14th, 2011 at 02:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, August 13th, 2011, 09:11 PM

classiclincoln is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Resource For Available Timeshare Weeks?

When is the "cheapest time" to get tickets?
Old Sunday, August 14th, 2011, 02:52 AM

DJSTEVEZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiclincoln View Post
When is the "cheapest time" to get tickets?
In my experience, the airfare prices are the least expensive the closer you purchase them to their initial release date from the airline. There are exceptions to this. I like the Kayak.com website to research prices. While JetBlue to Aruba has the reputation of always being the lowest, American Airlines recently has been stepping up & beating them in the earlier days of initial ticket availability. Good Luck! -Z-.
Old Sunday, August 14th, 2011, 12:00 PM

classiclincoln is on a distinguished road

OK, thanks.
Old Sunday, August 14th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Maybe it is late in my time zone. Maybe I don't understand.

It is great to snag a bargain. Since we have fixed timeshare weeks, I don't know the best route. We usually try (and book) about 6 months out. I'm envious of people who seem to get better deals.

Maybe I am also wrong that airlines still bury some of the fare cost if you are buying a few days in a hotel. If so, get your timeshare bargain and look for a hotel-room package to wrap around. More difficult if you are trying to add bargain weeks to existing weeks.

(We're retired and forget that not everyone is/can be flexible)

We have only 2 experiences in exchanging timeshares in 23 years. We always went to Aruba every year since 1988. This is just my late night opinion...hope it makes sense.
Old Monday, August 15th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Aruba Expert

Weed is on a distinguished road

If you are using frequent flyer miles, the seats are released 330 days out. This is when MOST airlines open for booking. The catch is that you need to book 330 days out from your RETURN date. But if you need to change dates, you usually have to use the ticket or get it reissued to use on other flights within 1 year of booking. Often, more FF seats are released about 6 months out. I've found it easier to get a FF first class ticket at 55K miles than an economy seat at 30-35K; the latter go real fast, then you're in the 50K range, so you might as well go first class! When I've paid for a ticket, I sometimes waited until 4-6 months out and got a good deal in the $350-400 range from DC. When the best price is $500 plus, then I use the FF route. Of course, if you can fly mid-week (I've always flown Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun), you might have more flexibility. Many resorts like Marriott have multiple check-in days available, not just the usual Sat & Sun.
Old Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Aruba Expert

TomFrederick is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Resource For Available Timeshare Weeks?

>>> "The 1st week is at a (so called) low-rise resort which I own,"
----- If you want another week in the low-rise area think the best way is just go to the resorts website. Think most of the member owned resorts have a page listing units for rent by their members.
Old Friday, November 4th, 2011, 11:39 PM

lynnen is on a distinguished road

Another site to search for rentals is www.tug2.net it is free, no membership fee required & you can contact owners directly.