Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Divi Phoenix Resort

Divi Phoenix Resort This Forum is for Divi Phoenix Resort Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Wednesday, April 21st, 2010, 12:48 PM

karen w is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Divi Phoenix Aruba

Just recently took a tour of the Divi Phoenix and was very surprised how different from the rest of the High Rise's on Palm Beach. Very quiet, not crowded, and I felt like I was in Fiji not the Vegas Strip as it is up by the Marriott!
Should I buy or rent? We already own Marriott Boston, but not too crazy how crowded Marriott Aruba is. We would not trade to stay their. Looking for 1 week in March sometime if we do rent in bldg. B,C, or D.
Thanks,
Karen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, April 21st, 2010, 02:14 PM

lemarier is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Divi Phoenix Aruba

We own at Divi Phoenix and LOVE it here. It is on the best beach in our opinion - the end of Palm so it is quiet and the water is beautiful but you can walk up the beach at any time to visit the other resorts, happy hours, etc. We never have a problem getting a hut or a beach chair. We bought before the new building were started and we feel it has greatly improved the entire resort with this addition. Pure Beach is a wonderful bar, restaurant and has a great lively happy hour.
So, Yes, I think you should definitely rent there and once you do you will most likely want to buy.
Old Wednesday, April 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Divi Phoenix Aruba

By the way, we are from Methuen Ma - 30 min north of Boston
Old Wednesday, April 21st, 2010, 10:55 PM

linda, is on a distinguished road

Hi I am thinking of renting there this year.So you would recommend staying at the Phoenix. we usually stay at the marriott and yes it is crazy down that end. so looking for a little change we stayed at eagle beach a few years ago too quiet and out of the way for me I like being able to walk palm beach area. We are from wilmington, ma almost neighbors.
Old Wednesday, April 21st, 2010, 11:19 PM

sboyd1964 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen w View Post
Just recently took a tour of the Divi Phoenix and was very surprised how different from the rest of the High Rise's on Palm Beach. Very quiet, not crowded, and I felt like I was in Fiji not the Vegas Strip as it is up by the Marriott!
Should I buy or rent? We already own Marriott Boston, but not too crazy how crowded Marriott Aruba is. We would not trade to stay their. Looking for 1 week in March sometime if we do rent in bldg. B,C, or D.
Thanks,
Karen
Hi Karen
I have week 10 in building C for Mar 5th - Mar 12th available next year. It is on 6th floor and is a 2br lockoff that can be rented as a 1br or studio or both if interested let me know
Thanks
Steve
Old Thursday, April 22nd, 2010, 08:05 AM

Linda,

I would definitely recommend your renting there - we stayed at the Marriott Hotel the first time we went to Aruba (before they had the timeshares there) and we were less than thrilled. Didn't return for almost 10 years and stayed at the Surf Club cuz friends bought there. Absolutely hated it there but LOVED Aruba. Walked the beach and found the Phoenix and bought that same day and have no regrets - it gets better and better each year with all improvements being made. We too feel Eagle Beach is just a bit too quiet for us - we love to people watch and bar hop on Palm.

I worked in Wilmington for 10 years at Agfa/Compugraphic - small world
Old Monday, November 21st, 2011, 10:58 PM

dfranklin is on a distinguished road

We've been going to Aruba for the past 9 years. We looked at the divi phoenix two years ago. I didn't really expect to like it as well as I did. We ended up buying and I'm glad we did. Weve stayed at the Weston before and the playa Linda. There are many things I like about the divi that has convinced me we made the right decision

By the way, I grew up just east of methane and now live 30 miles south of Boston. I am sure you will love it.
Old Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011, 07:30 AM
Aruba Expert

droykelly is on a distinguished road

We have two weeks in the Tower that were purchased pre construction. We absolutely love Phoenix but were happier before they added the new buildings.

Pure Beach does nothing for us & the beach is way too crowded. The expanded beach areas are lousy & aren't used so they quadrupled (at least) the palapas at the original beach and added a few umbrellas. We go off season (returned last Saturday) & the beach area was crazy. I can't imagine what it's like in January!!

That said, as far as we're concerned, there's no place better on the island. Based on the pricing of the new units, I'd be more inclined to rent rather than buy. There are plenty of unsold units available & $25,000 - $35,000 is a ridiculous price to pay!

I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Old Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011, 08:40 AM

dfranklin is on a distinguished road

Relativelly speaking, the beach is not nearly as crowded as most other places (late Feb, early March). We were always able to find shade, be it under a palapas or umbrella.

At the PlayaLinda, there were people out there at 3 or 4 in the morning waiting for palapas. If you weren't out the before 7, you were lucky to find one ... and while there were lounges, there were never chairs available (they were hoarded by a few). At the Marriott, you have to rent them. At the Weston, if you were lucky enough to get a palapas, there wasn't room to lie next to it in the sun or you'd be under your neighbor's palapas. It is shoulder to shoulder.

While my own private island would be nice, that's not likely to happen. Until then, I'm happy with the Phoenix as it's the best I've found in Aruba.
Old Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfranklin View Post
Relativelly speaking, the beach is not nearly as crowded as most other places (late Feb, early March). We were always able to find shade, be it under a palapas or umbrella.

At the PlayaLinda, there were people out there at 3 or 4 in the morning waiting for palapas. If you weren't out the before 7, you were lucky to find one ... and while there were lounges, there were never chairs available (they were hoarded by a few). At the Marriott, you have to rent them. At the Weston, if you were lucky enough to get a palapas, there wasn't room to lie next to it in the sun or you'd be under your neighbor's palapas. It is shoulder to shoulder.

While my own private island would be nice, that's not likely to happen. Until then, I'm happy with the Phoenix as it's the best I've found in Aruba.
Our experiences are vastly different since we've been Divi timeshare owners since 1991. We bought pre construction @ Divi Village prior to Divi taking over what is now Divi Aruba Phoenix.

However, we're in complete agreement that the Phoenix is the best Aruba has to offer!

Old Saturday, November 26th, 2011, 08:59 PM

JohnL is on a distinguished road

Best Aruba has to offer- no question about it! And I'm there in January for 2 weeks...no problems with chickies or the beach. Love the ambiance of the new bar, Pure Beach, the new pools, the new towel hut, and the fact that you can get away from the busy area by walking around the corner to the villa pool area if you want. Also, I rent out the entire month of February by the week (I own 6 weeks) and they go like hotcakes! Those weeks are usually rented in April and May for the asking prices. So if you're thinking of buying a few weeks and want to rent- it's no problem as long as you are responsive to the renters.

Absolutely love the place (and management has been responsive to my suggestions and a few minor complaints). Did you know that you can use the other DIVI properties as well... and that's a bonus. 7 weeks and I'll be there...can't wait.
Old Monday, January 30th, 2012, 11:21 PM

breanna61 is on a distinguished road

We just purchased week 3 in the new beach towers while staying in Aruba at Playa Linda in the unit we own there week 3 & 4; we walked over to the Phoenix a couple of times and loved it so took the plunge. Once we stay, if we like it as much as we think we will, we'll purchase another week at Phoenix. We really enjoyed Pure Beach and enjoyed the beach. I think we made a great choice and look forward to our first stay next January. We've made many friends at Playa Linda over the years and they are just a pleasant walk down the beach; we're looking forward to making new friends at The Phoenix!
Old Tuesday, August 7th, 2012, 09:41 PM

Yesterday we decided to bite the bullet and rather than wait, purchase our second week at the beach towers Divi Phoenix.....we can't wait for our first stay Jan 19-Feb 2.
Old Tuesday, September 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM

PirateKing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Divi Phoenix Aruba: you shoulda been here 3 years ago!

Nice as the Phoenix is compared to the infamous Playa Linda (where, legend has it, there are fist fights over palapas in the pre-dawn hours) or the Marriott, it isn't what it used to be. What it used to be (quiet, a little out of the way) is what lured us into buying a resale here, but now we like to extend a week and go down to Dutch Village and get out of the hubbub after a week in what was once our paradise. We still like Sunset Beach Bistro; haven't been to the TV and karaoke-cursed Pure Beach.
Old Tuesday, September 11th, 2012, 07:50 PM

To each his own, we found they rolled up the "carpet" very early at Playa Linda and we really enjoyed that there is a bit of activity at The Phoenix after 8:00 p.m. We loved Pure Beach and spent several evenings there on our last trip. We did also eat at the Sunset Bistro one evening as well and enjoyed that. We stayed one night at The Phoenix when we purchased our timeshare there last year and were shocked that when we headed down to the beach at 11:30 a.m., we were able to not only get a palapa but one beachfront. At Playa Linda, we do take turns getting up very early in the morning for a palapa. Different strokes for different folks but thanks for the "what a sucker for purchasing a unit" welcome?? Hope the other folks are a bit more friendly.
Old Tuesday, September 11th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by breanna61 View Post
Different strokes for different folks but thanks for the "what a sucker for purchasing a unit" welcome?? Hope the other folks are a bit more friendly.
You might want to get an attitude adjustment before you arrive...........

Old Thursday, October 11th, 2012, 10:21 PM

explorer21 is on a distinguished road

breanna61, welcome to the phoenix. we purchased a 2 bdrm penthouse pre-construction and will be making our 5th trip to aruba next week. we absolutely love it there and feel it's the best place on the island. there are a couple of people on the board who are so negative about the phoenix but yet keep coming back. you made a great choice. again WELCOME!
Old Saturday, October 13th, 2012, 12:19 AM

Thank you so much for the warm welcome explorer! I owned (and still do actually) several weeks of timeshare at PlayaLinda for >20 years so yes, I do find it strange that an owner at a resort would publicly "bash" their own investment. I'm quite certain we made a great choice in making the move to the Phoenix. We really enjoyed our "previous home away from home" on Palm Beach but found ourselves drawn to and enjoying all the Phoenix had to offer on our last visit. We even spent a night in our new unit after we purchased on our visit last year and absolutely loved it!

I'm no longer surprised that the Divi Phoenix area of the board is so quiet when the most frequent visitor is very negative to his own investment and makes new members feel like they made a poor investment (someone does definitely need an attitude adjustment and may require a mirror). I believe a BB directly associated to and with the cooperation of the property works best and my husband & I would be happy to put in the legwork and IT experience to make that happen. We'll explore that possibility when we enjoy our first stay in our new home at the Phoenix.

Have a wonderful stay when you return next week! I do love the mojitos at the pool bar and wish we were there to treat you to one!!
Old Sunday, October 14th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Aruba Expert

Not sure this is what you're looking for but...........

diviphoenix : Divi Aruba Phoenix

Old Sunday, October 14th, 2012, 09:38 AM

Thanks droykelly; the Yahoo Group is a little quiet. I thought perhaps Divi would be agreeable to add a monitored Forum to their own website. The PL model has an owners only section and is monitored by the GM and board to answer questions that arise. There is also the general area of the board that can be accessed by anyone, renters and owners alike.

Here's a link to the Playa Linda Forum; perhaps something like this would be welcome at Divi Phoenix as well?

Playa Linda Message Board • Index page
Old Sunday, October 14th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Aruba Expert

It's a very nice idea but I don't see Divi being agreeable. You have nothing to lose by asking for their approval but as long as there are available units in the inventory, I don't think they want us competing with them to rent &/or sell.

That's probably one of the biggest differences between the Divi properties & standard timeshares like Playa Linda. We don't really "own" anything & have no say in how it's run or maintained. If we're not happy with something we can complain but if Divi doesn't want to make a change, there really isn't anything we can do to make it happen.

Old Sunday, February 10th, 2013, 02:53 PM

We returned from our first two-week stay (wks 3 & 4) since purchasing in 2012. We were very lucky as we were able to trade our studio week 4 for a one-bedroom week 4 in the same unit we own week 3 in the new beach towers....the previous owner had just traded up the day before we enquired so our unit was available. Next year we won't have to move and we wanted two weeks one-bedroom, so it worked out perfectly!

The Phoenix did make the move easy for anyone who has to change units during their trip. We were able to stay in our unit until 12:30 and move over to the new unit which was serviced and ready to go.

The big advantage of Phoenix vs Playa Linda where we also own (we rent out the remaining unit we have there) is no chickee/palapa wars!! We could actually relax in the morning and wander down for a palapa and were always able to get one....even on the day we didn't get down until noon. I hope it stays that way....at Playa Linda you have to be down by 4:00 a.m. to get a chickee.

Met lots of wonderful people, enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere while still being an easy walk to the restaurants, malls, etc at Palm Beach. The suite is beautifully appointed and comfortable. Initially I thought I'd miss the privacy of the balconies at Playa Linda, but we enjoyed meeting and chatting with our neighbours out on the balcony.

We're looking forward to our next stay at our new home away from home!
Old Sunday, February 10th, 2013, 03:48 PM

explorer21 is on a distinguished road

So glad you enjoyed your stay at the Phoenix. We can't wait to get down again but it's not until Oct. I'm also waiting for the flight prices to go down. They're ridiculous right now. It's nice to see that Divi is putting money back into the resort like "Pure Ocean". they were working on it when we were there and I see it's done. Did you get to eat there? Looks real nice. I think I mentioned the slower pace and quiet setting there. Everyday we walk up the sidewalk to eat lunch and get "excercise" we always comment how much we would hate to have to fight to get a spot to sit. We love the Phoenix and wouldn't want anyplace else. Hope your next trip comes fast!
Old Sunday, February 10th, 2013, 04:14 PM

Hi Explorer,

Pure Ocean opened during our stay week 4. We did check out the menu, but didn't try it as the night as we'd planned to go on our last night, but it was quite windy and we wanted to eat on the beach. Friday at Pure Ocean is Romance Night. The menu looks great though and the ambience is perfect. It is at the top of our list for next year!