Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 04:02 PM

emky is on a distinguished road
Default Timeshare inquiry at Marriott Surf Club

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and am not sure if I am in the right place to find info on timeshares so if I am wrong, could someone please redirect me?

My husband and I just returned from an amazing vacation in Aruba. It was our first visit and we immediately fell in love. We stayed in my bil's gf's timeshare at the Marriott Surf Club and are VERY interested in purchasing one of our own. We really should have taken part in one of the timeshare promotional meetings that they have there, but we didn't and are now regretting it bc we really don't have that much info on making the right choices in purchasing one.

*Resale or Retail? Which would you recommend? What would be the downfalls to resale?

We stayed in a 2 bdrm lockout, ocean view and it was amazing.

*How do i know that I am going to get the same without actually seeing it? It sounds like the same, but should I be worried about anything?

We love Aruba so much that we'd love to return every year.

*Would you recommend an exchangeable timeshare over a non?

TIA for any info you can give me!! : ) ~Kelly
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM

Arubaweek6 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Timeshare inquiry at Marriott Surf Club

Do lots of background work on this before you decide. There is much info on Aruba available and some good places to find resales. I think most people would recommend a resale as the best financial option. Some people will say that you can rent timeshares and not spend "all that money" and that's probably true, but some people (us included) like to know that they have the same place every year available to them. We love owning and are probably going to buy a second week, but it's definitely not a sound financial with returns investment.
The Marriott is probably one of the most expensive on the island and one thing to check out is if you are getting a particular week or a time frame. For instance, we have week 6 at the Divi Phoenix for 40 years-same unit every year. There are many very nice complexes and I'd check them all out before jumping in. If you look at Playa Linda and Costa Linda, they have their own web page with resales listed. Divi has a web page for owners on yahoo and they list resales there. Then there's redweek and tug2-they list alot of them.
There's much to look at and know and the people who already own can be a real valuable asset.
Good luck,
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 08:51 PM

emky is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Timeshare inquiry at Marriott Surf Club

Thank you so very much for your response and your very much appreciated advice. I am a person who'd rather research something to death before making a move so I am 100% confident in taking the next step. I guess I just needed some direction on how to research lol. You have guided me there! Thanks!!! I actually have a "friend" via FB that has a timeshare at the Costa Linda. I will check their site out too. Have heard very good things about the Playa too. Is the Divi the golf resort? I think I remember driving by. Thanks again : )
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Timeshare inquiry at Marriott Surf Club

divi has several timeshares. the golf resort is one in the low rise area. the phoenix is at the end of the high rise area toward the low rises. they are both great as is playa linda and costa linda where i own. you need to travel around on another visit and decide what you want in a timeshare. there are so many excellent choices. do take the time to research it.

keep asking us questions. you will find enough answers to drive you both crazy and toward your goal, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emky View Post
Thank you so very much for your response and your very much appreciated advice. I am a person who'd rather research something to death before making a move so I am 100% confident in taking the next step. I guess I just needed some direction on how to research lol. You have guided me there! Thanks!!! I actually have a "friend" via FB that has a timeshare at the Costa Linda. I will check their site out too. Have heard very good things about the Playa too. Is the Divi the golf resort? I think I remember driving by. Thanks again : )
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 09:58 PM

iamromo is on a distinguished road

HI! I am an owner at the Surf Club. First, I would like to say, even though it gets crowded at times it is still the best place on Palm Beach. Second, do not believe most things the Marriott's salesperson will tell you. We were told we "bought" the second building...wrong! We have been put in all the buildings. We were told we "bought" ocean view pool side...wrong! They actually put us on the Ocean Club side where the only view of the ocean was over the top of the Ocean Club building. We were told it was easy to use Interval International to exchange weeks...wrong! Too long to explain...We were told there would be a larger "grocery type" store built under the third building...wrong! We were told we could exchange our week for Marriott points...correct, but read on... They will give me 110,000 points for my week BUT to use points for the same villa in a different week it would take 240,000 points and the points they would give me could NOT be used to apply to the 240,000 points needed to rent. The points could only be used for a HOTEL rental.
Lastly, they are building a Ritz-Carlton next to the Marriott. Talk about over crowding...
But after all is said and done...we love Aruba...we love the Surf Club...
Old Wednesday, April 28th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Aruba Expert

captmorgnsgrl is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Timeshare inquiry at Marriott Surf Club

Emky...looks like your hooked on Aruba. We own at the Aruba Beach Club and the Costa Linda. I have several timeshares, two I have purchased through retail and my Aruba timeshares were resales. Personally resales are the way to go, but that is just my opinion. After I purchased the two retail I could have kicked myself. I could have purchased the same units for less than half of what I purchased them at retail if we had not fallen for the sales pitch.

Just a suggestion, before you buy as others have suggested do your research. Do you want quiet or party atmosphere? check out the difference between Palm beach and Eagle beach? do you want to be right on the beach or don't mind a larger resort? If it's in your budget you may want to take another trip to Aruba and really check things out. Stay somewhere different, and check out some of the other resorts and ask to see any of the rooms that may not be occupied. Once you actually have checked them out you can start shopping price. It will save you a lot of money if you find a deal. check out these websites. www.redweek.com www.tug2.net www.timesharesonly.com www.holidaygroup.com I know the Costa Linda, Aruba Beach Club and the Casa del Mar have their own resale links on their websites. I am only speaking from experience, we went down twice before we actually purchased and I live in California. I figured it was an investment and I wanted to be comfortable in my home away from home and I am. I did a lot of research and found my Costa Linda timeshare on the holiday group website. I got it for a great price. I have used all the others I posted for rentals etc.

Hope this helped!

Old Wednesday, April 28th, 2010, 12:53 AM

sunscreen is on a distinguished road

Hi Emkey -
Very good post and always a hot topic. All replies listed provide good perspectives....although I don't totally agree, especially with the point issue or other points about the sales people.
UNLIKE SOME TIMESHARES what is nice about the Marriott is YOU ARE NOT BUYING A SPECIFIC UNIT, even though your contract and deed will specify one. You are buying into whichever season and as long as you are organized and plan your vacation, most likely you will wind up with a much nicer location than if you had to purchase it outright - BECAUSE THEY ARE MOSTLY SOLD.

Here's our reality and we have been very pleased.
Whether you purchase direct from Marriott or from a private owner.....by the way, from my perspective the Marriott Surf Club is the best property on Palm Beach and I say that having gone on tours and trying to be objective with the other timeshare properties.
Marriott always has a great promo, however there are other options if you are looking more for a deal. THE ONLY THING YOU GIVE UP IS THE POINTS THEY OFFER IF YOU PURCHASED ON THE SPOT.
Check out this site:

Aruba Ocean Club Resale Listings

It offers Surf Club as well as Ocean Club and I HAVE SPOKEN TO MARRIOTT MGMT about this issue as at first glance you would think they would frown as this cuts directly into their sales force's ability to make the sell. Anyway, you're doing the right thing by getting as much info as possible and with this economy and the right deals you could really land a nice windfall.

Good luck!!!!
Old Wednesday, April 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road

I agree with just about all of what has already been said. You are wise to do your research and this forum is a valuable tool. We bought our Marriott Ocean Club unit about 10 years again and have mostly been satisfied. If you want to go to Aruba during the slower times, you probably won't have any problems, but if you want to go during the very busy season, you may not be able to book the week you want. Aruba is one of Marriotts hottest resort locations and in high demand. The earliest week I could get for 2011 was the first week of April. I think I would rather have a week I can count on every year. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20. After going to Aruba for 8 years, we finally decided to spend a week down on Eagle Beach. We fell in love with it. My advice would be to go to Aruba a few time and stay in different places on both Eagle and Palm Beaches. Talk to owners of the resorts you stay at and see what they think. Good luck!

Bobbie
Old Wednesday, April 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Aruba Expert

Weed is on a distinguished road

I own three units at the Marriott Surf Club, all in gold season (around 1 May to Dec 15). It costs more if you want platinum season and the holiday weeks. I always use the lock-off option, usually trading the lockoff to go somewhere else. Because I own multiple units, I can book 13 months out if booking back-to-back. You can lock off, then book the master suite one week and the lock-off the next, getting two weeks together. They will move your luggage, hanging clothes on hangers, bagged food in fridge on moving day, so you can relax and not have to babysit your stuff or check it with the valet. When I've traded the lock-off to another Marriott vacation club, I've often been upgraded to a one-bedroom suite. I really love the location, as I rarely bother with a rental car, and can walk to shops and restaurants along the road that runs along the hotels and timeshares on Palm Beach, have drinks and not worry about driving back! As I'm usually traveling alone, I don't worry about being "stuck" in the room at night, as I might if I was in the Eagle Beach area, which has some restaurants, but nothing else to do in the evening unless you take a bus or cab somewhere else. I book for two weeks in May, two in the summer (the lockoffs to trade) and two weeks in November. May and November aren't crowded. As others have suggested, I'd look around and recommend booking another trip to Aruba to check out the properties before you buy. Marriott offers "preview" packages to get you to try the property. Here's one for 5 days/4 nights at $449 (total, not per person!)
Marriott's Aruba Surf Club - Palm Beach, Aruba Vacation Packages - Marriott Vacation Club

I've taken advantage of preview packages for the Marriott vacation clubs at Lake Tahoe and Las Vegas.

Good luck. Hope you come back to Aruba, one way or another!
Old Wednesday, April 28th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

There are fixed weeks and variable weeks.
There are deeded timeshares and 40-usage timeshares.
When we were working, the fixed weeks gave us the incentive to actually use them.
At the time, we thought the deeded resorts were a good idea.
Trading has had limited appeal to us, although we have traded one of our weeks on two occasions in 22 years.
Can you tell we still love Aruba?
BTW, we stay at Casa Del Mar and Aruba Beach Club.
Just hearsay, but when we bought an additional 2-bedroom, low-season week in 2005, we believe it was about one-third the cost of a similar Marriott week.

Last edited by JohnJT; Wednesday, April 28th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old Thursday, April 29th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Aruba Expert

TomFrederick is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Timeshare inquiry at Marriott Surf Club

>>>>> "The Marriott is probably one of the most expensive on the island"
----- DITTO!
>>>>> "Just hearsay, but when we bought an additional 2-bedroom, low-season week in 2005, we believe it was about one-third the cost of a similar Marriott week.
----- Ditto again! Now Marriott no doubt is big and plush. Look around first. Costa Linda, Casa del Mar, and the Aruba Beach Club are member owned. All have Web Sites, all within walking distance of each other, all on great beaches. With these you actually buy a unit#/week# so you get the same view year after year. Would recommend renting one first and then you can look at all and pick out a unit#/week# you like.

Last edited by TomFrederick; Thursday, April 29th, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old Thursday, April 29th, 2010, 08:22 PM

Weimaraner is on a distinguished road

Emky - we own three weeks at Surf Club and really enjoy it. I think you may enjoy a visit to the bulletin board at tug2.com where you can get some good information on Marriott timeshare ownership as well as other timeshares. On the tug2.com board, if someone has specific questions about Aruba they send people on over to this board. But in this case you may want to stop on by tug2.com where there is a lively discussion on timeshare ownership particularly there are rumors of some internal exchange changes that may be in the works to be unveiled in June. We love our timeshares and have also traded them in for visits to Antigua and coming soon, St. Thomas. Regardless of our visits to other islands we always compare them to how much we love Aruba. One question I have about your post was you mentioned a 2 bedroom Oceanview lockout. Just want to clarify - did it have a master bedroom suite and a guest room lockout with queen? That's the standard 2 bedroom at Surf Club. There are also 3 bedroom/3 bath Oceanview units that lock out and have a master suite and a second bedroom with two queens in it. So glad you enjoyed your visit to Aruba.
Old Thursday, April 29th, 2010, 11:58 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road

All valid points made.

No one mentioned the maintenance fees however. All time shares charge an annual maintenance fee. If there are problems or they run out of money there are additional fees charged to the owners called "special assessments". I believe the owners at the Marriott Ocean club and La Cabana had a special assessment recently.

Maintenance fees at the Surf club seem high to me. To us, it was not worth $26000 down and $1400 a year for a week at the surf club.. Thats just us though.

We do own a timeshare-- in Las Vegas. The maintenance fees there are up to $450 a year now(2 br). We have successfully traded that TS through RCI for one in Aruba 7 times including this October at the Costa Linda. We also rented a week in a 1 br this year(oct) at the Playa Linda for $850. We have rented a week a couple of years at Costa Linda (2br), once for $950 and another for $1150. 3 years ago we rented a 1 br at Aruba Beach club for $650 and my sis got a studio the same week for $500. Last year I got a week at the Renaissance ocean suites(1br memorial day week) on Ebay for $445.

We have looked at buying a TS in Aruba several times, but it just doesnt seem to make financial sense to us when there are hundreds of weeks for rent at any given time. More this year than in previous years. Probably due to the economy.

We are very flexable in regard to when we can go on vacation, so having a certain week is not at all important to us.
Old Friday, April 30th, 2010, 07:38 AM

We own at the Surf Club and agree that the the yearly fee is way too high. The only advantage is when you trade. A Marriott TS in Aruba trades for a premium any place else.

Also, you basically did the right thing. The saying, "buy low, trade high" applies here. Can't count the number of people I have talked to on the beach that paid far less somewhere else, but trade every year for Aruba.
Old Friday, April 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamromo View Post
We own at the Surf Club and agree that the the yearly fee is way too high. The only advantage is when you trade. A Marriott TS in Aruba trades for a premium any place else.

Also, you basically did the right thing. The saying, "buy low, trade high" applies here. Can't count the number of people I have talked to on the beach that paid far less somewhere else, but trade every year for Aruba.
We have had no problems trading out time share. We have even gotten 3 extra weeks from RCI over the years. We have traded our week for a week in San Diego, a week at St Pete Beach, Fl, a week in Orlando, a week in Maui, a week in Branson and a week at Hilton Head as well as our trades to Aruba.
Old Friday, April 30th, 2010, 08:22 PM

Interval International is what Marriott supports and probably owns it...we have had no luck with it...
Old Sunday, May 2nd, 2010, 02:37 AM

Weimaraner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamromo View Post
Interval International is what Marriott supports and probably owns it...we have had no luck with it...
Have you tried the "Request First" option on Interval? We've used it twice and within 2 weeks had successful matches. Also as a Marriott owner you are supposed to get access to other Marriott properties approx 28 days before everyone else on Interval.
Old Sunday, May 2nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
Aruba Expert

PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road

Concerning Interval International, every year I trade my St Thomas week for something in Aruba and more often than not I get the Marriott Surf Club. Once I got Paradise Beach Villas which was a pleasant surprise too.