Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Friday, February 25th, 2011, 07:06 PM

mark is on a distinguished road
Default What to expect when coming to Aruba during festivities and holidays

Several people have asked us about what to expect when traveling to Aruba during times when there are public holidays, or special festivities such as carnival. We've prepared some travel tips just about that.

You can see them here:

Aruba Travel Tips for official holidays and festivities

Since Carnival is in full swing and the main parades are just around the corner, there is some useful information in there about what to expect during carnival.

Hope you like it and thanks LocaLisa and Merel for putting it together!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, February 26th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What to expect when coming to Aruba during festivities and holidays

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Several people have asked us about what to expect when traveling to Aruba during .... special festivities such as carnival. .......!
AS AN ADDED NOTE: While the local populace is (in general local broad strokes) a quiet people, they are also the exact opposite when carnival is here. Carnival is the letting go of frustrations and turning it all to fun and exhibitionism in a controlled manner. It is a time when bankers and carpenters walk side by side of political and religious ministers all dressed in a (normally garish) costumes that portray the theme of their group.
Carnival is when the people rich, poor, businesses or private, bid for spots along the carnival route to be able to place their trailers or small lean-too's so that they can gather with those they choose and watch the grand parade go by. It is a time of fun, laughter, and abandonment. It is a time of music, dancing and perhaps most important - a time of equality and "sameness".

That said, it is also a time when people tend to over indulge in the delicious cold beers and other drinks. and in this mood of "release" it happens that the obnoxious side of humanity sneaks out. If this happens close to you, walk away quickly.

There will be many police on the streets. They are there to maintain order but the principal reason for them being there is to control the crowds from jumping into the parade. The excitement of it all makes it seem as if joining is the natural thing to do.

If you are here during that time with family or friends, I recommend renting a cell phone from one of the many listed companies. Before going to the parade, put in the number of the Taxi central in the memory area and perhaps even the number of the resort where you are staying. Reason? If you get separated it will be the life line of communication. Should this happen, and you are asked where you are, do not give the name of a street sign. Look for the tallest building around you (can be a tree or tall anything) and stay there and let them know that is where you are. Tall things are easier to find in a crowd.

Bring as many water bottles or containers as you feel comfortable carrying while walking about. It is HOT HOT HOT out there.

Wear tennis shoes and not sandals

Put on suntan lotion

Wear a baseball cap. Brightly colored if possible.

If you are in a group of you, try to wear a similar t-shirt or something alike so that if you ask someone you can point to the shirt or bright hat as a reference.

Lastly, if you are with kids, keep them close to you and never let them out of sight. The crowds are massive and kids get lost. Treat kids as if they were a gift from God - because they are.

be well
charles
Old Sunday, February 27th, 2011, 09:32 AM

forabcaruba is on a distinguished road

Will the Supermarkets be open Sunday March 6th??????????
We will be coming in & need to stock up.
Thanks
Old Sunday, February 27th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by forabcaruba View Post
Will the Supermarkets be open Sunday March 6th??????????
We will be coming in & need to stock up.
Thanks
Sorry, but no. The supermarkets will not be open on Sunday. They will be closed on Monday as well.
Old Sunday, February 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM

coconut is on a distinguished road
Default What to expect when coming to Aruba during festivities and holidays

What a Blast! We went to the Lighting Parade last night. Parked by the bus terminal...all the lights were out in the terminal parking area. Radar always goes off around the terminal, the lack of lighting made it worse. A young girl was parking her truck in front of us, and she commented about the lighting. We talked, and she said the parade will not get to this portion of Oranjestad, until 1AM. She recommended we go to the roundabout by Talk of the Town. Happily, I removed myself, and my wife, from the Terminal and went to the corner where Banco Caribe is. What a great spot. We first walked to Talk of the Town, then back, talking to Police and Locals along the way. I am truly amazed, that so many people can put aside their differences, and Party together. Without incident!

The parade was amazing! I had no idea what to expect. I've done the Grand Parade before. I thought they might light something, perhaps a small fire. No, they lit everything. Not with fire, but with thousands of lights. Including the participants. Everyone had their best Carnival Costumes lit with strands of lights. The floats were all lit...and loud. Charles is absolutely correct, I certainly felt the need to jump in. However, I thought it better, to not interfere.

About an hour or so into the parade, the young lady we saw at the bus terminal, came down the street (with some of her friends) to enter the parade. She made it a point, to walk up to us and say hello. I noticed she was wearing "white with Zebra" (her description). I was able to tell her, that her crew had passed about ten minutes ago, and she, and her friends, ran to catch up. I can tell you a great time was had by all in attendance. I love this place! You could never have a party like that, where I come from. OSHA would not approve the viewing stands, and there is not enough cops. Congratulations to the people of Aruba, for showing us all, just how to get along. Go Carnivale!!

Last edited by coconut; Sunday, February 27th, 2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old Sunday, February 27th, 2011, 01:03 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Coconut - what a great post! You've really captured the essence of it and seem to have had a great time
Old Sunday, February 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Aruba Expert

Hi COCONUT,
glad it went that way for you . Frank (I think you inow him- missed his connection and was really P.O'd. He extended his stay to catch the big parade.
By the way, mind if I join you guys on that one. Junior is going to be with his Mom.
Let me know.
be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut View Post
What a Blast! We went to the Lighting Parade last night. ............... You could never have a party like that, where I come from. OSHA would not approve the viewing stands, and there is not enough cops. Congratulations to the people of Aruba, for showing us all, just how to get along. Go Carnivale!!
Old Saturday, March 5th, 2011, 09:33 AM

coconut is on a distinguished road

After going to (3) Parades this Carnivale Season, I want to mention something, perhaps overlooked. We attented the Lighting Parade in both Oranjestad and San Nicholas, and the Kids Parade in Oranjestad. Note to Charles: Did not make the Juvee (Pajama) Parade, this morning.

I think it imperative, to give greatest regards, to the Aruba Police Department. I have witnessed the work they do during the parade. Crowd control being the primary concern, the APD, provided a great presence along the parade route. I was very impressed, with their willingness to stop, and talk, to Locals and Tourists alike, before the Parade started. Then, keeping a watchful eye, while greeting their friends and supporters along the route, during the parade. Excellent job, by and excellent department. I like to call it cordial crowd control. Polite, but firm, with an emphasis on staying approachable to anyone. I appreciate their efforts and applaud the work I have witnessed. They are to be commended...all of them!
Old Saturday, March 5th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Aruba Expert

Hey amigo, you can have a PAJAMA PARTY when you get home and call it even.

I am so very impressed at you taking the time to write this unselfish note about our police. they are humans like all of us and deserve the recognition that comes with their hard work.

One thing many people don't think of is the following:

I was talking to a policeman some months ago and in the conversation Carnival came up. I asked him where he would be and he said that he has been on the force for close to 15 years and has not seen a single carnival in those years of service. I asked why and he said

"Carnival is the busiest work time of the year for me."

That sums it up

be well
charles
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut View Post
After going to (3) Parades this Carnivale Season, I want to mention something, perhaps overlooked. We attented the Lighting Parade in both Oranjestad and San Nicholas, and the Kids Parade in Oranjestad. Note to Charles: Did not make the Juvee (Pajama) Parade, this morning.

I think it imperative, to give greatest regards, to the Aruba Police Department. I have witnessed the work they do during the parade. Crowd control being the primary concern, the APD, provided a great presence along the parade route. I was very impressed, with their willingness to stop, and talk, to Locals and Tourists alike, before the Parade started. Then, keeping a watchful eye, while greeting their friends and supporters along the route, during the parade. Excellent job, by and excellent department. I like to call it cordial crowd control. Polite, but firm, with an emphasis on staying approachable to anyone. I appreciate their efforts and applaud the work I have witnessed. They are to be commended...all of them!