Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Friday, September 11th, 2009, 12:50 PM

merishka is on a distinguished road
Default El Gaucho & Driftwood Reservations

I know def make a reservation for El Gaucho (busy place), but do you think it's really necessary to make one for Driftwood??? Do you think it would be no problem just winging it and showing up and maybe having to wait a few min's for a table??? I really like the idea of nowhere to be at any specific time...afterall, that's what vaca is all about!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, September 11th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: El Gaucho & Driftwood Reservations

depends on the season but driftwood always was busy when we went. didn't get to go this year but unless you go at an off hours you might have a fairly long wait. i do love the nowhere to be idea and practice it often. however, that is one place i do call at least early the day i want to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merishka View Post
I know def make a reservation for El Gaucho (busy place), but do you think it's really necessary to make one for Driftwood??? Do you think it would be no problem just winging it and showing up and maybe having to wait a few min's for a table??? I really like the idea of nowhere to be at any specific time...afterall, that's what vaca is all about!!!

Thanks!
Old Friday, September 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Aruba Expert

Dogwriter is on a distinguished road

Went to Driftwood without a reservation on July 5 and got a table right away. However, it was early and before we left, the place was packed. So, it is a crapshoot, I guess.

"Vacation is what you make of it, what you take from it and what you leave behind."
Old Friday, September 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Call early??? Just call that day u r planning on going and see if you can get in then so if can't go elsewhere....just to clarify. Also, have you been to The Old Man & The Sea? Is it sorta like Flying Fishbone? Just curious. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
depends on the season but driftwood always was busy when we went. didn't get to go this year but unless you go at an off hours you might have a fairly long wait. i do love the nowhere to be idea and practice it often. however, that is one place i do call at least early the day i want to go.
Old Friday, September 11th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

exactly...call early. why take a chance and be disappointed. worst thing is to get somewhere your heart is set on and there are no tables.

yes we've been to OMATS and loved it. pricey but the atmosphere itself is worth it. lovely place. i understand they had gone downhill for a short time but recent diners have been very pleased. yes, it is much like flying fishbone. in fact, they are neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merishka View Post
Call early??? Just call that day u r planning on going and see if you can get in then so if can't go elsewhere....just to clarify. Also, have you been to The Old Man & The Sea? Is it sorta like Flying Fishbone? Just curious. Thanks!
Old Tuesday, September 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM

SunSeeker is on a distinguished road

I love the Flying Fishbone. I have visit that restaurant for 5 times now. But now I will try The Old Man & The Sea. I am very curious.
To stay on topic…. I think it is always wise to make a reservation. These places could be crowded.
Old Tuesday, September 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSeeker View Post
I love the Flying Fishbone. I have visit that restaurant for 5 times now. But now I will try The Old Man & The Sea. I am very curious.
To stay on topic…. I think it is always wise to make a reservation. These places could be crowded.
We are booked for both El Gaucho & OMATS....can't wait to try OMATS...thier menu looks fab!
Old Tuesday, September 15th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Sunny Beaches is on a distinguished road

I have heard that OMATS doe's not have as good of a sunset view as FF has, is this true?