Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Saturday, March 13th, 2010, 10:15 AM

aaahruba is on a distinguished road
Default Chinese Vegetable Garden?

On one of the online Aruba maps, out by Boca Prins, I noticed an 'attraction' marked 'Chinese Vegetable Garden'. We've driven out to Boca Prins many times over the years and I do not remember any vegetable garden type thing. Does someone know what this is?

thanks,
Nancy

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, March 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM

mafalda is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chinese Vegetable Garden?

There used to be one..many years ago, next to fonteyn cave...i believe fonteyn cave is named after the "fountain" that used to give fresh water to this "garden"... u can still see the fountain... and there is some fish in it...
Old Sunday, March 14th, 2010, 10:51 AM

They need to update their online map then Thanks for the info - saves us from trying to find it!

Old Sunday, March 14th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafalda View Post
There used to be one..many years ago, next to fonteyn cave...i believe fonteyn cave is named after the "fountain" that used to give fresh water to this "garden"... u can still see the fountain... and there is some fish in it...
The fish were put in on purpose so they would eat the mosquito eggs, otherwise that fresh water would be one huge breeding ground for mosquito's.
Old Sunday, March 14th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Aruba Expert

lizzardo is on a distinguished road

There used to be an 'experimental garden'. They were trying
to see if they could raise strawberries and other fruit. They
actually had to airco the greenhouses and stopped the project
because it was too costly b/w water and power to grow
them at an affordable rate.

Which on line map were you looking at?
Old Sunday, March 14th, 2010, 03:18 PM

mafalda is on a distinguished road

haha..it is done on purpose..so u will get lost...and see it all!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaahruba View Post
They need to update their online map then Thanks for the info - saves us from trying to find it!
Old Sunday, March 14th, 2010, 04:52 PM

A few maps show it. I was looking at the map reference to the cave at
http://www.arubavacationhouse.com/images/arubamap.gif

but it is also shown here
Aruba Map from Caribbean-On-Line

We do the drive to Boca Prins each time we go to Aruba and I hadn't ever remembered a Chinese Vegetable Garden or any signs pertaining to it. Not something you'd likely forget!

Nancy

Old Sunday, March 14th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Aruba Expert

Back in the sixties and seventies this was owned by a chinese family who grew their veggies there and they were quite successful at it. Early eighties the old man died and it was not used for quite a while. The park rangers had their office there for a while and they had a small museum in the old house.

It's a gorgeous house btw, such a shame it's falling into ruins now.
Old Sunday, March 14th, 2010, 06:45 PM

LisaK is on a distinguished road

Last year when we were driving around, we became fascinated by the bright yellow house in the hills that are visible from around the drive-in's. Our friends helped us to find the house. Just beyond that is the experimental garden. Very nice place to take a hike and many beautiful photos. Go see for yourself. We didn't have the chance to return this trip, but hope to next time.
Old Monday, March 15th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
Last year when we were driving around, we became fascinated by the bright yellow house in the hills that are visible from around the drive-in's. Our friends helped us to find the house. Just beyond that is the experimental garden. Very nice place to take a hike and many beautiful photos. Go see for yourself. We didn't have the chance to return this trip, but hope to next time.
That is not the same experimental garden as the one in this thread. This one is near Boca Prins. The one you mention is near jamanota mountain. I can't remember the name, but will let you know as soon as it comes up.

It's Masiduri.

Last edited by Sandra; Monday, March 15th, 2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: remembered the name
Old Monday, March 15th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the history, Sandra! Our first trip to Aruba wasn't until 1989, so I guess we missed the Chinese Gardens all together. I'm surprised it's still listed on the map.

I haven't been to the 'expiramental garden' either though - is that public?

Nancy

Old Monday, March 15th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Aruba Expert

The experimental garden shut down years ago. Kinda wondering
if became the Chinese garden afterwards...
Old Monday, March 15th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzardo View Post
The experimental garden shut down years ago. Kinda wondering
if became the Chinese garden afterwards...
No, it was the Chinese garden back in the 60ties and 70ties, when the Chinese man who lived there died it started to degrade a lot. Then in the late 80ties the park rangers took it over for a while and had their experimental garden there with the little museum and the entrance to the cave with the indian drawings. They now moved to the entrance of the Park at Santa Cruz.

The experimental garden near Jamanota, Masiduri has never been open for public. I have never been there because there was always a gate blocking the entrace.
Old Monday, March 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Aruba Expert

I am in awe of you! It's so nice when you hear
the history of some places.

We intended to go to the experimental garden a few
time and never found it - now I know why!
Old Monday, March 15th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Chinese Vegetable Garden?

Sandra... it's so nice having you here onboard. I've learned much from your posts.

Speaking of having you here, any plans for going back to Aruba? I never did get my coconut cookies!!
Old Monday, March 15th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Thanks...an interesting thread...back and forth!
Old Tuesday, March 16th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Aruba Expert

Thanks guys, that's what you get when you are born and raised there with a father who loved the island and we drove around often. He taught me a lot about the geological structure of the island as well.

As for going back, as soon as opportunity presents itself. That means a job or winning the lottery.

I am hoping soon to be able to buy a slides scanner and then scan all my dads old slides. There are pictures in there from 1958 and I can't wait to get my hands on them.
Old Tuesday, March 16th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Sandra,
Our neighbor bought a new toy, a "slide scanner" last weekend and asked us to try it out to be sure it worked. Otherwise, she was going to return it to Kohl's store.
The installation directions were awful, but it finally worked. It scans 4 slides at a time...one by one in a "tray" that holds the 4 slides. Nothing automatic. You push this "tray" through and scan each one.
We haven't done slides in probably 30-35 years and the test slides we copied were from 1970-1971.
The results were OK (not superlative). I think some of it must be related to the age of the slides.
It would have to be a labor of love to spend lots of time with many trays of old slides and this device.
We got rid of a lot of slides when we moved to Florida 7 years ago, but still have a lot.
We have not looked at slides in those 7 years, do not have a working slide projector.
Just thought I'd relate our experience.
Good luck in getting back to Aruba!

Sandra,
On a different topic, could you briefly comment about the weather in the Netherlands in April? My wife is going on a river cruise from Amsterdam into Belgium and back...9-10 days...April 5 to April 15. Florida has been very cold this year, but she has been trying to prepare properly. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Last edited by JohnJT; Tuesday, March 16th, 2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old Wednesday, March 17th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJT View Post
Sandra,
Our neighbor bought a new toy, a "slide scanner" last weekend and asked us to try it out to be sure it worked. Otherwise, she was going to return it to Kohl's store.
The installation directions were awful, but it finally worked. It scans 4 slides at a time...one by one in a "tray" that holds the 4 slides. Nothing automatic. You push this "tray" through and scan each one.
We haven't done slides in probably 30-35 years and the test slides we copied were from 1970-1971.
The results were OK (not superlative). I think some of it must be related to the age of the slides.
It would have to be a labor of love to spend lots of time with many trays of old slides and this device.
We got rid of a lot of slides when we moved to Florida 7 years ago, but still have a lot.
We have not looked at slides in those 7 years, do not have a working slide projector.
Just thought I'd relate our experience.
Good luck in getting back to Aruba!

Sandra,
On a different topic, could you briefly comment about the weather in the Netherlands in April? My wife is going on a river cruise from Amsterdam into Belgium and back...9-10 days...April 5 to April 15. Florida has been very cold this year, but she has been trying to prepare properly. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks
Hi John, yes I know those scanners and I am not planning on putting 4 at a time in a tray. That is why I am looking into a different kind of scanner (more automated) hence more expensive, hence more saving before I can do that. My father has about 10.000 slides if not more, so the more automated the better for me. More expensive will also mean the quality will be better, at least I hope so.

Now for the weather in Holland, that is tricky. April can be just wonderful or horrible. There really isn't anything in between. Wonderful will be around 20 degrees (Celsius) with sun, horrible will be about 10 degrees and nothing but rain.
Today we have a beautiful blue sky with nice temperatures, but starting monday it is going to be colder again (with night freeze) and rain. How it will be the week after that, I have no idea.

Oh Belgium usually has a little warmer weather then we do. They are more down to the south.
Old Wednesday, March 17th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

sandra, you have my email. when you find a better slide scanner, send me the info. i have at least as many as you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
Hi John, yes I know those scanners and I am not planning on putting 4 at a time in a tray. That is why I am looking into a different kind of scanner (more automated) hence more expensive, hence more saving before I can do that. My father has about 10.000 slides if not more, so the more automated the better for me. More expensive will also mean the quality will be better, at least I hope so.

Now for the weather in Holland, that is tricky. April can be just wonderful or horrible. There really isn't anything in between. Wonderful will be around 20 degrees (Celsius) with sun, horrible will be about 10 degrees and nothing but rain.
Today we have a beautiful blue sky with nice temperatures, but starting monday it is going to be colder again (with night freeze) and rain. How it will be the week after that, I have no idea.

Oh Belgium usually has a little warmer weather then we do. They are more down to the south.
Old Wednesday, March 17th, 2010, 11:00 AM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Chinese Vegetable Garden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
sandra, you have my email. when you find a better slide scanner, send me the info. i have at least as many as you have.
The Canon canoscan 8800 gets good reviews. Costs about $200. Does 35 mm film negatives and slides.
Old Thursday, March 18th, 2010, 09:38 PM

Masiduri --
Thanks for the name of the experimental garden near Jamanota.

I'm a little ashamed to say I didn't remember a gate at the entrance to the property, but honestly woudn't have thought we were trespassing, but rather that they didn't want motor vehicles tooling around there. We hiked in. It's a lovely place. Not much growing there except the usual stuff. It's a little hilly, and there's a nice view of the sea off in the distance. We saw a couple huge herds of goats keeping watch, birds, and thankfully -- no snakes.
Old Thursday, March 18th, 2010, 09:44 PM

Phew, I just googled Masdirui, Aruba and here's what I came up with --

Aruba Travel Guide: Holidays, Things to Do, and Reviews - Travel Library
"Masiduri In the 1950's, Masiduri served as an experimental garden. Aruba was a major exporter of aloe for its medicinal and healing properties. The site features an aloe-cultivation exhibit today. The sheltered location and comparatively moist conditions draws various reptiles to the area, including the Aruban cat-eyed snakes, and feral donkeys rest here at night."

It all sounds good, except the part about the Aruban cat-eyed snakes, that is.

And the sentence about the exhibit sounds as though we weren't horrible tourist trespassers, thank goodness.
Old Friday, March 19th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Aruba Expert

I know of only 3 kinds of snakes on the island. The mini rattler (endangered and limited to the park), Boas (not native here) and the 'piss snake' which is basically a small garter snake which pisses on you when you pick it up.

This is not a 'snake' island for sure.

Aloe is shipped out via the Aruba Aloe for medical use for burn patients. Aruba aloe is known for being one of the best Aloes in the world. It's
an interesting tour thru the Aruba Aloe factory.