Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba In Words > Aruba Tales > Charles' Stories

Charles' Stories Stories by Charles Croes, true Aruban :)

Old Monday, March 6th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default A Short Tale (or Is It Tail?)

I have always wondered what the lizards on our island talk about. I see them everywhere. On the sides of the streets I see them all the time, especially when I am at a traffic light. I would have to guess that most of those guys are giving condolences to the patch of color in the middle of the street. They hang on to the sides of poles and on bushes as if the world belonged to them. Once (many millions of years ago) it did, but now?

I saw two of them carrying on next to an outside restaurant table. They jockeyed for crumbs and any other thing that might fall from the table. These guys are fat ones. There is an excellent and very healthy lizard at CASA TUA. He hangs around on the hard surfaces at night and I have a suspicion he lolls around on the neatly manicured lawn next to the chairs in the day time, probably under some broad leaf or other shade giver.

Pool deck lizards are the hardiest – I think. I can barely walk across the surface of these decks and there they are – Lizards all over the place. They spend the day looking around the deck for food and somehow manage to do this on three feet. You need to see these guys. They systemically lift one foot then lower it in a rotation of feet. I have been told this is to avoid getting a burned by the pool deck. Personally I don’t buy that story. If that was the case, they would wear shoes and be done with it - anyway – not being a lizard and not knowing if our stores have lizard sizes – who am I to judge these finer lizard points. Was at the pool deck of Costa Linda and I believe they were having a convention. Whether or not that is the case is not as important as the fact that they get along famously with the human critters that bathe themselves in oil and then lie there to scorch.

The beach lizards are fun. They live mostly in a Divi Tree somewhere and skitter. Yup – they skitter!! - and do it masterfully. I like the long trails they leave behind. Nice long lines saying “Leroy the Lizard was here”. Little buggers do graffiti in the sand. We may need to report that to someone, maybe the lizard police. Wyndham has a nice collection of these guys on their beach.

Then there are the Cunucu lizards. They live on a rock somewhere close to a Cunucu house. One of these guys is a male lizard model. I know that because every water based painting of an Aruba country side scene has the same lizard on a rock. The artists must be paying this little guy a fortune. I hope there is a lizard union to cover and protect these guys. Maybe one of them needs a manager? Something to think about.

Then there is HOLO. My son named him when he first saw him. The little guy went across the living room floor and Junior pointed and said – “HOLO”. He named him instantly right there on the spot. Kids have a knack for that.

I used to have a pet lizard a few months ago. He was actually a gecko and was a weather man or actually a weather gecko. He was presented to the readers of another (un-named) bulletin board and was given a 60% approval. Not enough approval to run a country – much less to predict the weather. I have to say that he was right most of the time.

Kids carry them to school and house keepers talk to them. We do not see them any longer because they are a part of us. They blend in much the same way particles of sand blend in to make a landscape. They are important little guys. They eat flies and other buggy things and clean up after messy dinner guests - especially at outside restaurants. They walk on Cacti and incredibly small leaves. They sit at window sills and look in. Some sit on window sills and look out. They are in the rear seat of our cars (never wearing a safety belt) and sometimes meet an untimely demise as a result of napping on the fan belt of the engine.

Hot to trot lizards are the most obvious. How often have we wondered what the lizard is doing when he flips out that long bone under his neck and thereby expose that lovely scarlet colored fold of skin? Ever see it and wonder what is going on? Well – that is a boy lizard calling on a girl lizard to go courting! Yup! That is what that is. So…. Next time you see your darling spouse and feel like courting – just whisper in the ear – hey hone – feel a little lizardy tonight? What the heck – never know what the response will be.

The Ones that I like the best are those that Dr. Carlos Viana called Blueies and Greenies. When we were kids he once told me that they were called by those names. Believed him then and believe him now. Hey – the guy is a doctor right? - and a damned good one at that.

They are discriminated against. No such thing as lizard food in the stores and no such thing as lizard collars. And that is just a bit too much for any lizard to bear. Don’t you think??

So why write about lizards? That is not the question. The true question is why not?

charles
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 6th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Short Tale (or Is It Tail?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescroes
The Ones that I like the best are those that Dr. Carlos Viana called Blueies and Greenies.
charles
Ah, yes. Blueies and Greenies. And the gray ones, we called them Woodies.

Actually, the real reason for this post (which probably should be a pm instead of an open post on the board but, what the heck), is to ask about your friend Dr. Viana. I realize that Viana is not an uncommon name but, was Dr. Viana's father the owner of a large car dealership in the 50s and the 60s (Viana Auto Sales, if I remember correctly)? If so, then he was married for a period of time (for all I know, still is) to my next door neighbor! Small world (if it's the same guy).
Old Monday, March 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Here is a greenie. He lived downtown by the Seaport Marketplace: http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...vfolderid=2005

Lizards at LaCabana are very well fed. People give them lettuce or fruit. And they are spoiled! When hungry, I have seen them go into people's beach or food bags left on the deck, one went up the chair to get to someone's bag!

Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Aruba Expert

Charlie,
Yes it is the same VIANA. Funny story on your part. I will someday write a short snippet about Carlos Viana. He is a practicing physicion on the island and one of my better friends.

Corrine
About the blueies going up beach chairs, that is hilarious.

Be well both of you

charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlierat

Actually, the real reason for this post (which probably should be a pm instead of an open post on the board but, what the heck), is to ask about your friend Dr. Viana. I realize that Viana is not an uncommon name but, was Dr. Viana's father the owner of a large car dealership in the 50s and the 60s (Viana Auto Sales, if I remember correctly)? If so, then he was married for a period of time (for all I know, still is) to my next door neighbor! Small world (if it's the same guy).
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 07:46 PM

drcarlos is on a distinguished road

You only knew they were called Blueies and Greenies if you had a friend that lived in the Colony. Another world, many years ago; a North American suburb on the end of a dessert island that few of us could visit. Tom Mix space crusader at the Lago Club movie theater Saturday morning. Then a chocolate shake at the soda fountain. That was easy living at age eight.
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

charlie, i think we have just found dr. viana. drcarlos, our newest member has a profile that leads me to believe he is your man.

are you getting the feelings of deja vu again? or is it just leftovers of the 70's?

Quote:

Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Almost Aruban

Damn, I wish I was home and on the computer about 2 - 3 hours ago! Drcarlos is most definitely the dude that married the girl next door! This has been confirmed!

Dr. Viana: Bonbini to the board! Good to hear from you again after all these years! I am a few years younger than you so I don't really expect you to remember me but I sure do remember you! Please join our little community - I think you'll like us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry
charlie, i think we have just found dr. viana. drcarlos, our newest member has a profile that leads me to believe he is your man.

are you getting the feelings of deja vu again? or is it just leftovers of the 70's?
Old Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Charlie,
Thanks for the welcome. So, did you live in the last hose closest to the refinery? The house with the big mango tree?
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]
Old Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Almost Aruban

No, I lived right next door to the Soderstons - one house closer to the refinery than they were. We were actually three houses down from the refinery; the Soderstons were the fourth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcarlos
Charlie,
Thanks for the welcome. So, did you live in the last hose closest to the refinery? The house with the big mango tree?
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]
Old Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Aruba Expert

Hey Charlierat,
Didi you know Fletcher Dunbar?
charles

Quote:
No, I lived right next door to the Soderstons - one house closer to the refinery than they were. We were actually three houses down from the refinery; the Soderstons were the fourth.
Old Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Almost Aruban

I have a vague recollection of the Dunbars. I can't place Fletcher Dunbar, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescroes
Hey Charlierat,
Didi you know Fletcher Dunbar?
charles
Old Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: A Short Tale (or Is It Tail?)

Dr. Carlos... I was in Aruba Feb. 5th through Feb. 25th. I think it was you and your wife who Lloyd introduced at Don Carlos, at which point you got up and danced. No?? (just checked your picture out at your website) You're both very attractive!!

Quote:
Charlie,
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]

Last edited by Elaine S; Wednesday, March 8th, 2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old Friday, March 10th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S
Dr. Carlos... I was in Aruba Feb. 5th through Feb. 25th. I think it was you and your wife who Lloyd introduced at Don Carlos, at which point you got up and danced. No?? (just checked your picture out at your website) You're both very attractive!!
Elaine,
That was us. Thanks. When I worked for my Father’s car company, Lloyd and I were the repo men for collecting back bills or taking back the cars. Believe it or not, Lloyd was the “nice” guy and I was the “heavy”. Wow, Lloyd, who always just wanted to be a troubadour, has many “war” stories of repo jobs we did together. Having grown up in Aruba, there are a bunch of people who know “stuff”, especially Charles Croes, who was the closest thing I had to a big brother.
Yea, we like going to Don. Carlo’s to listen to Lloyd and eat fresh fish. Actually, when our cook is not on the island, which is second kitchen for Phyllis, my soul mate, and me to eat and unwind. Especially after a late clinic, who has time to cook? When back in Aruba give us a holler.
Old Friday, March 10th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

I Love Aruba Re: A Short Tale (or Is It Tail?)

Quote:
Elaine,
That was us. Thanks. When I worked for my Father’s car company, Lloyd and I were the repo men for collecting back bills or taking back the cars. Believe it or not, Lloyd was the “nice” guy and I was the “heavy”. Wow, Lloyd, who always just wanted to be a troubadour, has many “war” stories of repo jobs we did together. Having grown up in Aruba, there are a bunch of people who know “stuff”, especially Charles Croes, who was the closest thing I had to a big brother.
Yea, we like going to Don. Carlo’s to listen to Lloyd and eat fresh fish. Actually, when our cook is not on the island, which is second kitchen for Phyllis, my soul mate, and me to eat and unwind. Especially after a late clinic, who has time to cook? When back in Aruba give us a holler.
Lloyd's been a good friend for many years, and I knew he was into cars, but he was the nice guy and you were the heavy??? Interesting.

I, too, enjoy Don Carlos.... Lloyd makes it fun, and Andre' always takes good care of me!

I hesitated to write originally since when I saw the age you posted, and thought about the man that I saw dancing ~ they didn't seem to mesh. You certainly look much, much younger!!!

I'll be back in Aruba next February for a month... perhaps you can give me a potion to make me look as good as you do!!!

Please give Lloyd my regards when you see him next!

Old Friday, March 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S
Lloyd's been a good friend for many years, and I knew he was into cars, but he was the nice guy and you were the heavy??? Interesting.

I, too, enjoy Don Carlos.... Lloyd makes it fun, and Andre' always takes good care of me!

I hesitated to write originally since when I saw the age you posted, and thought about the man that I saw dancing ~ they didn't seem to mesh. You certainly look much, much younger!!!

I'll be back in Aruba next February for a month... perhaps you can give me a potion to make me look as good as you do!!!

Please give Lloyd my regards when you see him next!
Elaine,
Will print out these posts and give them to Lloyd. Will see him tomorrow night. Never hesitate to write and as for potions… potions are my specialty.
Old Friday, March 10th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Aruba Expert

Elaine,
Some flolks take Carlos Viana exactly as he wants to be taken, laid back, friendly, casual and anything but a healer of aches, pains and sometimes soulfull issues. I hesitated in promoting him due to our close relationship. Seems as if it might appear to be a family plug or maybe a (less than acurate) promotion.

Someday soon, I will take the time to share some Dr. Carlos stories with you. The guy is gooooood and what I like is that he does this wearing shorts, sandals (sometimes barefooted) a loose shirt and sitting under a large tree surrounded with orchids. Think not that this is a joke. It is the way the guy works and it works just fine.

How I see itt is simple. people are born to do a certain thing with their lives. Not many of us find that "certain thing". Carlos not only found that healing is his "certain thing" but he has made it his hobby. Think about that a second. Sit under a massive Banyan tree withy hanging orchids at your sides. Birds all over the place and talk to patients with the intention of healing them and ... consider it a hobby you enjoy doing. NOT BAD!

No need for silly fish tanks to calm the patient down - you have the earth doing it.

I'll write about it someday soon. Worth more than this short note.

Bye

Quote:
Elaine,
Will print out these posts and give them to Lloyd. Will see him tomorrow night. Never hesitate to write and as for potions… potions are my specialty.
Old Friday, March 10th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Quote:
Elaine,
Dr. Carlos ~
I've heard many good things about you. If you have a potion that makes me look as good as you and Phyllis, perhaps I shouldn't wait a year to go back! In all seriousness, I look forward to meeting you next year.

Lloyd will be shocked that here I am "talking" to you. It is indeed a very small world.

Charles ~ I'm of the opinion that no one would think you were promoting
Dr. Carlos, in fact, I think we'd like to hear more. It's not always about aches and pains, but rather the heart that sometimes hurts ~ and, to find someone to REALLY listen and REALLY care is a joy. In this fast paced world here in the states, a Dr. Carlos is few and far between.

Speaking for me personally, I don't like to take so called medications for anything. As you so aptly put it... I'd rather my cure come from the earth.

I look forward to hearing all about this fine doctor..

Last edited by Elaine S; Saturday, March 11th, 2006 at 11:36 AM.