Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Thursday, September 6th, 2007, 11:09 PM
dolceg dolceg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: August 19th, 2007
Posts: 37
dolceg is on a distinguished road
Default International calling card

The best card to use while Aruba and yet be in touch with your family.......Irie Card. I bought mine at Magnet Perfume and Gift Shop in Casa del Mar. It costs only 8cents.per min. to USA. It's used for calling worldwide. The only catch is that you have to pay the local charges on the hotel bill. But it still works out to about 10times less than the normal charges. My best investment in Aruba!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old Monday, September 10th, 2007, 09:30 AM
anit anit is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 8th, 2007
Posts: 4
anit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International calling card

Thank you for that information. I know my question may seem dense but I am trying to figure out how to make an international call. How does one dial from connecticut to Aruba and from Aruba to connecticut.

We are leaving on sunday (finally!) and if I ever get my phone i wanted to leave instructions for my son.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old Monday, September 10th, 2007, 10:07 AM
charlescroes's Avatar
charlescroes charlescroes is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: February 21st, 2005
Posts: 960
charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International calling card

001 - (Area Code) + 7 digit number

Regarding calling cards and the hotel charges, - my humble suggestion is that you do the math carefully on this.
MAke sure you understand what the hotel charges are. IN some hotels this can be scary while at others can run in the 50¢per minute range.
be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by anit View Post
Thank you for that information. I know my question may seem dense but I am trying to figure out how to make an international call. How does one dial from connecticut to Aruba and from Aruba to connecticut.

We are leaving on sunday (finally!) and if I ever get my phone i wanted to leave instructions for my son.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old Monday, September 10th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Al Newcomb's Avatar
Al Newcomb Al Newcomb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: September 14th, 2005
Location: Hanson,Ma.
Posts: 80
Al Newcomb is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: International calling card

Hi Charles,when we call our friend in Aruba we use 011-297 & the # we are calling.Isn't that correct?Thanks Al.
__________________
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]http:www.[img]://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10732;449/st/20090415/e/April+15-May+2%2C+ABC%2CCDM./k/21a5/event.png[/img]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old Monday, September 10th, 2007, 10:52 AM
TomFrederick TomFrederick is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: April 16th, 2004
Location: Howard County, Maryland
Posts: 338
TomFrederick is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: International calling card

WARNING! In Aruba do not charge your calls back to the States on phones that state make calls to the States using your Credit Card. The going rate on those are like $35 and up per call. There are some Phone Centers around Aruba that are very reasonable besides that card mentioned above.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old Monday, September 10th, 2007, 11:46 AM
dolceg dolceg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: August 19th, 2007
Posts: 37
dolceg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International calling card

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolceg View Post
The best card to use while Aruba and yet be in touch with your family.......Irie Card. I bought mine at Magnet Perfume and Gift Shop in Casa del Mar. It costs only 8cents.per min. to USA. It's used for calling worldwide. The only catch is that you have to pay the local charges on the hotel bill. But it still works out to about 10times less than the normal charges. My best investment in Aruba!!
U dial 001 and your phone no. in USA in order to dial from Aruba
Some hotels may charge more , however the hotels that I am talking about are: Case del Mar, Aruba Beach Club and Costa Linda. When using these Irie cards from your room, they will charge you 50c (American) per 3mins.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old Monday, September 10th, 2007, 11:48 AM
anit anit is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 8th, 2007
Posts: 4
anit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International calling card

Thank you Al ... That was what I was looking for. Do you dial the 011 when you are calling the US from Aruba?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old Monday, September 10th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Liz from N.J.'s Avatar
Liz from N.J. Liz from N.J. is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: East Brunswick, New Jersey
Posts: 1,734
Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International calling card

Quote:
Originally Posted by anit View Post
Thank you Al ... That was what I was looking for. Do you dial the 011 when you are calling the US from Aruba?
From Aruba - 001
To Aruba - 011
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old Monday, September 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM
charlescroes's Avatar
charlescroes charlescroes is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: February 21st, 2005
Posts: 960
charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International calling card

Yes it is

I wrote an incorrect answer. Sorrrry.

To call from Aruba to America it is 001-area code + 7 digits
To call from America to Aruba it is 011-297 + 7 digits

My apologies

be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Newcomb View Post
Hi Charles,when we call our friend in Aruba we use 011-297 & the # we are calling.Isn't that correct?Thanks Al.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old Monday, September 10th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Nikkinewyork2007 Nikkinewyork2007 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 3rd, 2007
Location: Staten Island, New York
Age: 44
Posts: 25
Nikkinewyork2007 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International calling card

In response to calling card questions. Are there any pay phones around the island? Or would I have no other choice than to use the phone in the hotel. Would I be able to use the calling card with my cell phone?
__________________
October 27-November 3....Aruba awaits!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #11  
Old Monday, September 10th, 2007, 10:19 PM
chip collector's Avatar
chip collector chip collector is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: August 24th, 2006
Posts: 323
chip collector is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International calling card

I used to walk to the Holiday Inn and use their pay phone (near the check in desk, down the hall from the Excelsior).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkinewyork2007 View Post
In response to calling card questions. Are there any pay phones around the island? Or would I have no other choice than to use the phone in the hotel. Would I be able to use the calling card with my cell phone?
__________________
Chip Collector
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old Tuesday, September 11th, 2007, 08:30 AM
dolceg dolceg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: August 19th, 2007
Posts: 37
dolceg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International calling card

Your best bet would be to use these cards from your hotel room especially if you are staying at Casa del Mar or other low-rise area hotels. Using these from a cellular would work out expensive because you will be paying the local cellular charges. Using a pay phone might cost a little less but you will have to have coins ready because you will be paying the local call charges. I always use them from my hotel room and the entire cost (including the card and hotel charges) work out to about 0.25 c.per min.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old Tuesday, September 11th, 2007, 03:39 PM
ljgrimes1 ljgrimes1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 29th, 2006
Posts: 3
ljgrimes1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International calling card

Behind the Alhambra casino there is a phone kiosk that charges .25/min to US and Canada. They are open 3-11PM Mon-Sat. You dial the number, talk, hang up, and the nice lady will tell you how long you talked and how much you owe, no need to buy a card or minutes you won't use. We always call from there, and it's great to be able to feel "in touch" without spending much money.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old Tuesday, September 11th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Liz from N.J.'s Avatar
Liz from N.J. Liz from N.J. is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: East Brunswick, New Jersey
Posts: 1,734
Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International calling card

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljgrimes1 View Post
Behind the Alhambra casino there is a phone kiosk that charges .25/min to US and Canada. They are open 3-11PM Mon-Sat. You dial the number, talk, hang up, and the nice lady will tell you how long you talked and how much you owe, no need to buy a card or minutes you won't use. We always call from there, and it's great to be able to feel "in touch" without spending much money.
New hours for the Call Shop at Alhambra are 'till 10 pm.




At Renaissance Marketplace and La Hacienda mall (where Texas de Brazil is) there are internet places that also charge .25 min.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old Wednesday, September 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM
dolceg dolceg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: August 19th, 2007
Posts: 37
dolceg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: International calling card

Thx. I know about that kiosk near Alhambra Casino. That is ideal if you just want to make a couple of calls.......Sometimes you have to wait in a long queue and everyone can hear while you are talking.
But if you want to call often and if you want to talk for "hours" (like I do) then nothing like this international calling card which you can use in the comfort of your room.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2006 -2011 - CaribMedia.com