Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Wednesday, October 18th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Arubaman is on a distinguished road
Default Baby Beach

A while back there was a announcement by Tourism minister Edison Briesen of building up Baby Beach with hotels and resorts. Has anything transpired yet?
Old Thursday, October 19th, 2006, 09:53 PM

ArubaPeggy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Baby Beach

Don't know, but ever since the hurricane removed the breakers, Baby Beach hasn't been the same. It's not safe anymore.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, October 20th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

peggy, the breakers are there. we were there 8 weeks ago. the topography has changed slightly but the breakers leave it as calm as it always was. it is certainly safe.

however, it is not safe if you go beyond the breakers and it never was. you may be the lucky person who hits low tide and the relative calm it produces for a few minutes but i personally would never take that chance.

stay inside the breakers where we all belong and you are as safe as ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArubaPeggy View Post
Don't know, but ever since the hurricane removed the breakers, Baby Beach hasn't been the same. It's not safe anymore.
Old Friday, October 20th, 2006, 09:14 AM

I was just there 3 weeks ago. The breakers are only about 20 feet long where they used to be half way across the inlet. The current was strong and it definitely cannot be called Baby anymore. Even in the shallow section, the water was not calm. Also there were only fish in a tiny spot along the 20 foot breaker. So unless you are next to the 20 feet breaker, you are open to the sea. There is nothing between you and the open ocean.

If Aruba wants to build hotels there, they are going to have to rebuild the wall all the way across and make Baby Beach completely safe. There were 2 deaths there a couple of days after I left. If Aruba wants to promote the area, this type of thing can't happen.
Old Friday, October 20th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

I don't see how those breakers could suddenly have disappeared. We did not have a huge storm. I will check it out this weekend and see if anything strange is going on there. However 2 weeks ago when I was there everything was still the way it used to be and nothing unsafe about the shallow part at all.
Old Friday, October 20th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Jeff Stanley is on a distinguished road

I was just there recently and the breakers were still there and baby beach was as calm as ever.
Old Friday, October 20th, 2006, 10:29 AM

The hurricane is from a couple of years ago. There used to be lots of snorkeling and fish along the breakwall along the outside rim of the swimming area. However, the hurricane removed most of this breakwall and left only a tiny section. So most of Baby Beach is now exposed to the open ocean and its tides.
Old Friday, October 20th, 2006, 10:34 AM

idahochick is on a distinguished road

We were there last week and it was fine. The water was super calm and from what we could see, the breakers stretched a good way across the inlet. There were a ton of families at the beach, may little children swimming and snorkeling.
Old Friday, October 20th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The hurricane is from a couple of years ago. There used to be lots of snorkeling and fish along the breakwall along the outside rim of the swimming area. However, the hurricane removed most of this breakwall and left only a tiny section. So most of Baby Beach is now exposed to the open ocean and its tides.
Well I have been going to baby beach ever since I was 6 months old and the breakers are as long as they were back then as they are now. What the hurricane did was put dead coral heaps in front of the breakers. So if the hurricane did anything it was make the breakers section even bigger and broader. The opening into the ocean is not bigger then it was 20 years ago. However if the current is coming from the other side it is possible that the the part where it is usually calm can be a little more wavey.

Baby beach is not more exposed to the open ocean more then it was 6 weeks ago or 20 years ago.
Old Friday, October 20th, 2006, 11:24 AM

When I was there a few weeks ago, the tide was strong and the water was cloudy, even in the shallow section.

If Aruba wants to build hotels at Baby Beach with hundreds of swimmers of all levels, then they are going to have to make Baby Beach safe for all swimmers at all tides and currents. Not all days are going to be calm.
Old Friday, October 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Administrator

peggy, the ocean can't be governed by man. although we would like it always to be totally safe, weather conditions are the great equalizer. there is no beach anywhere in the world that is totally calm at all times and totally safe for all levels of swimmers. that's why we keep preaching safety.

however, as sandra who is aruban living on aruba stated...baby beach really hasn't changed very much over her lifetime.

the beaches along hotel row, either high rise or low rise have waves. in the eagle beach area hubby and i almost drowned a few years ago during a very rough day. it is just the way of the ocean. it constantly changes.

Quote:
When I was there a few weeks ago, the tide was strong and the water was cloudy, even in the shallow section.

If Aruba wants to build hotels at Baby Beach with hundreds of swimmers of all levels, then they are going to have to make Baby Beach safe for all swimmers at all tides and currents. Not all days are going to be calm.
Old Saturday, October 21st, 2006, 11:54 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

Sandra,
You are on the money.
The term breakers could be the issue. There is (for lack of a better description) a sort of a fence made from stones at the Baby Beach site. Over time, the various storms have dumped dead coral on it and it is what it is today. Structually that has not changed significantly.

The coral outside of that "Fence" had a sort of a structure to it that many people werre acustomed to. That has been shuffled around due to storms etc. With that shuffling so did the currents that go through it change.

Is Baby Beach dangerous, I think that Sherry gave good and sound advise on this and I will not elaborate. While it is a wonderous world to look at though masks - the ocean is not where we live. When you go into the fishes home, keep that in mind.

Be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
Well I have been going to baby beach ever since I was 6 months old and the breakers are as long as they were back then as they are now. What the hurricane did was put dead coral heaps in front of the breakers. So if the hurricane did anything it was make the breakers section even bigger and broader. The opening into the ocean is not bigger then it was 20 years ago. However if the current is coming from the other side it is possible that the the part where it is usually calm can be a little more wavey.

Baby beach is not more exposed to the open ocean more then it was 6 weeks ago or 20 years ago.
Old Saturday, October 21st, 2006, 04:52 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

We've been going to Aruba for 18 years and Baby Beach for several of those years. We got into snorkeling as a result of going to AUA. I was wary of going "through the opening", but eventually we did it. Conditions vary. I indicated my reluctance to go very far from the opening....kept it in sight at all times...maybe only venturing 25 feet from the rock wall. There were times when it was reasonably calm. There were times when it was rough. I tried to tell my wife that the wave action was upsetting at times.....strongly urging her to get back inside. From what we've seen, it was never very deep. I guess as Charles and Sandra say....storms have pushed coral rubble against the rock wall.

I remain convinced that Baby Beach is safe inside the lagoon. We're now past 60 and would rather be safe than sorry.
Old Monday, October 23rd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Aruba Expert

zerokarma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubaman View Post
A while back there was a announcement by Tourism minister Edison Briesen of building up Baby Beach with hotels and resorts. Has anything transpired yet?
I think it is inevitable that Aruba will eventually build up the other side with hotels and resorts however I think that is still long ways away. Also as long as those ugly disgusting oil stacks are there I don't think it will be as popular a spot.
Old Monday, October 23rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator

funny thing about that. i get into the water and the oil stacks disappear. i don't mean physically but i mean my mind blocks them out totally automatically. it's just some background scenery that no longer matters.

i also know it is the major industry in aruba besides tourism and is one of the things that sets them apart from the other islands. they actually have industry that sustains them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokarma View Post
I think it is inevitable that Aruba will eventually build up the other side with hotels and resorts however I think that is still long ways away. Also as long as those ugly disgusting oil stacks are there I don't think it will be as popular a spot.
Old Monday, October 23rd, 2006, 01:08 PM

Joann71 is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Baby Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
funny thing about that. i get into the water and the oil stacks disappear. i don't mean physically but i mean my mind blocks them out totally automatically. it's just some background scenery that no longer matters.

Sherry - it is just something about being in Aruba. My neighbors at home are adding on to their house and the contruction noise drives me crazy while I'm trying to work during the day. When I stayed at the surf club the construction that everyone else had complained about didn't bother me a bit. In fact, while I was on the beach I didn't even hear any of the construction noise but when I replayed one of my video clips on the camera after I got home I could hear some hammering in the background! I wish I could apply that same filter at home to block out the building going on around me!!

Joann
Old Monday, October 23rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Administrator

i wish i could use that filter to block my grandchildren when they start to battle, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joann71 View Post
Sherry - it is just something about being in Aruba. My neighbors at home are adding on to their house and the contruction noise drives me crazy while I'm trying to work during the day. When I stayed at the surf club the construction that everyone else had complained about didn't bother me a bit. In fact, while I was on the beach I didn't even hear any of the construction noise but when I replayed one of my video clips on the camera after I got home I could hear some hammering in the background! I wish I could apply that same filter at home to block out the building going on around me!!

Joann
Old Monday, October 23rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Aruba Expert

AuntieMame is on a distinguished road

I have never minded the refinery stacks. They remind me of Aruba's past, of the colony etc.

No doubt I'm weird . . .
Old Monday, October 23rd, 2006, 08:29 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

I agree with everything you just said

I've stayed in hotels that had a view of an alley, another bldg, train tracks, Pep Boys, nothing - but I was there because it was where I wanted to be. If I'm in Aruba, I don't care if my hotel is next to the jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieMame View Post
I have never minded the refinery stacks. They remind me of Aruba's past, of the colony etc.

No doubt I'm weird . . .
Old Tuesday, October 24th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Aruba Expert

AuntieMame is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d View Post
I agree with everything you just said
Then it's established. I'm weird.