Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Monday, August 7th, 2006, 09:51 AM

jasejase is on a distinguished road
Default Visit Aruba Plus Card

just out of curiosity... What do you find yourself using this card for the most?

We got it last year, and really only used it a couple times, probably just breaking even on the cost... We are all inclusive, so I'm sure that's part of the reasoning behind it. But in many instances where we could have used it, we wound up either getting a promotional price (the card typically isnt valid with any other offers), or just had a regular coupon, etc...

i got it again for next months trip... perhaps i will have better luck this time!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, August 7th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Visit Aruba Plus Card

hubby uses it for diving. we have used it for rental cars. however, for us, the best part is the restaurant discounts. if you are all inclusive that takes a chunk out of your savings. one year we stayed at the manchebo and it gives you free breakfast for 2. that saved us a fortune. that year, with a rental car, the breakfasts, dinners, diving we saved well over $200.

i always suggest that before buying it you read what is on the list. for some people it isn't worth it but as they expand their list each year it becomes more and more valuable to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasejase
just out of curiosity... What do you find yourself using this card for the most?

We got it last year, and really only used it a couple times, probably just breaking even on the cost... We are all inclusive, so I'm sure that's part of the reasoning behind it. But in many instances where we could have used it, we wound up either getting a promotional price (the card typically isnt valid with any other offers), or just had a regular coupon, etc...

i got it again for next months trip... perhaps i will have better luck this time!
Old Monday, August 7th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Aruba Expert

AuntieMame is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Visit Aruba Plus Card

We use it mainly for lodging. For the last two years we have gotten free breakfasts for two at Manchebo. This year we get a discount at Paradera Park Apartments.

We'll also be using it for the cell service ArubaFastPhones that Charles offers.

We do often use it at restaurants as well.

For us, it pays for itself many times over.
Old Monday, August 7th, 2006, 10:18 AM

thanks for the info! its only $10... so i decided to be on the safe side and get it again. i wiill give it another try this time around!
Old Monday, August 7th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

J - I have gotten nice discounts on my rental car with my card! I've also used it for restaurants, Lets Go Latin show, ABC Jeep Tour and snorkeling on the MI Dushi and Tranquilo. Well worth it!

Old Monday, August 7th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Aruba Expert

captmorgnsgrl is on a distinguished road

I used the card many times this past trip and saved at least 3 times what I paid for it. I just wanted to make a suggestion. When we were shopping downtown, there were a few stores that honored the card. But when I went to use it, one merchant asked me for the book. I asked her which book and she told me the little book that comes with the card. I told her I left it in my room, she said she needed this to give me the discount. She was kind enought to give me the discount anyway. So if you go shopping downtown, make sure to take the book along. From now on I am going to leave the book in the rental care. I need to look at it every now and then, so I will know what places the card is honored at. I also used it on my car rental, at restauraunts, tours and shopping.

Old Tuesday, August 8th, 2006, 06:27 AM

andrea j. is on a distinguished road

The sales clerk was wrong and should not have asked you for "the book".
Quite possibly some of the sales clerks and wait staffs are not in the loop with management and know nothing of the discounts or perks.
If you remember to have the book in your purse that is fine, but one can always ask for a manager in the event of a question.

We had difficulty a few years ago with Juggling Fish and the sales clerk made a call to one of their other locations, spoke with a supervisor and we got the free gift or the discount. Cannot remember much other than the situation was easily solved.

Those that do not do discounting or perks with the visistaruba program may offer coupons or discounts that are advertised in your "little switzerland" bag.
Old Tuesday, August 8th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Aruba Expert

I always have to carry the book in my purse, not to show to vendors, but to remember who gives the discount.

(Juggling Fish used to give out foam can holders)
Old Tuesday, August 8th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieMame
I always have to carry the book in my purse, not to show to vendors, but to remember who gives the discount.

Aha, someone else who does this!! Glad I am not the only one!

Old Tuesday, August 8th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Almost Aruban

elisabeth_nj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieMame

Me too...its small enough to fit in the tinyest of purses. I never can remember who honors it how doesn't so its always on my person!!! We've saved many a buck at restarurants and tours. We are always a large party so even 5% of a dinner bill helps! We saved on groceries at Certified last trip also. Was on 3%...but then again...it helps!
Old Tuesday, August 8th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

When it only costs $10, it really is an easy decision to get it. The car rental alone was $35 less because of it, so anything else is just more gravy. I try to carry the book too, just to remember who honors it. Maybe this year I'll shop for a tiny purse to carry it in
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa
Me too...its small enough to fit in the tinyest of purses. I never can remember who honors it how doesn't so its always on my person!!!
Old Tuesday, August 8th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Weimaraner is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Visit Aruba Plus Card

We've used it for Aruba Fast Phone cell rental, car rental and deep fishing with Teaser Charters - all of which we do every year so it's a must-purchase before we head to Aruba. I also have one very big compliment for the Visit Aruba Plus staff for customer service. My husband misplaced our Visit Aruba card the night before his fishing charter where you are required to show the card for a discount. I should have known better to trust him with the card since he lost our room key within 15 minutes of our arrival the year before Anyway he called Visit Aruba and explained the situation and they said they would send a replacement card to our timeshare. Imagine his surprise when they hand delivered the replacement card to Teaser Charters so he could get his fishing charter discount! To us, that level of customer service alone makes us repeat customers. On our next visit, I'm hanging on to the keys, Visit Aruba card and credit cards to be safe.
Old Tuesday, August 8th, 2006, 01:51 PM

I did seriously try to use the card as often as we could last year... i guess i just had a run of bad luck... The car rental place gave us an upgrade at the compact price since they had no compacts in stock... so we got a deal there and couldnt use the card with it. We got a setar card instead of a cell (only called back for 15 minutes total i think)... and we negotiated the fishing charter with another couple to a pretty good price (below what the discount would have included)... we used it a couple times here and there, and we did break even... plus got a free canvas bag at a shop! Being AI, we didnt have the ability to use it as much - but as i said before, i will definetly be giving it another shot.
Old Tuesday, August 8th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d
Maybe this year I'll shop for a tiny purse to carry it in
Oh, I wish I could be a fly on the wall and see this................

Old Wednesday, August 9th, 2006, 05:16 AM

marpertex is on a distinguished road

I bought a card 2 years ago and saved $4.95. Last year I got the free discount card from the Ren and saved about $30 plus received some free gifts. Also used some of the coupons from the newspapers. Do not use for car rental because, although Amigo does honor the Aruba Plus card, they give me a better discount by being a timeshare owner, a repeat customer and making reservations on line. I think it is a good deal for some people, but a waste of money for others.

Aruba in November - 3 weeks
Old Wednesday, August 9th, 2006, 11:22 AM

LoveAruba is on a distinguished road

I always pick up bottles of my friends favorite perfumes as a gift or for birthdays/holidays. Believe me, 10% off a bill of $200-$300 makes it worth the $10 to purchase it. Maggy's downtown and in the various resorts takes it.

Rex Resorts

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Old Wednesday, August 9th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAruba
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
How funny is that??
Old Wednesday, August 9th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d
How funny is that??
Funny?

No.

We're serious.
Old Wednesday, August 9th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAruba
I always pick up bottles of my friends favorite perfumes as a gift or for birthdays/holidays. Believe me, 10% off a bill of $200-$300 makes it worth the $10 to purchase it. Maggy's downtown and in the various resorts takes it.
Love your quote and your picture!

Does Maggie's carry brands like Armani and Burberry perfumes? I always go to the perfume store in the Ren mall where prices are great but if Maggie's gives a discount too, that would be even better!

Old Sunday, August 13th, 2006, 04:31 PM

sdonis99 is on a distinguished road

i booked a trip to aruba staying at the manchebo im reading that you can get free breakfast with the aruba card on the website it says only for customers with direct reservations at rack rate i booked my trip on the internet does anyone know if i can get the free breakfast
Old Sunday, August 13th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Aruba Expert

Carol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdonis99
i booked a trip to aruba staying at the manchebo im reading that you can get free breakfast with the aruba card on the website it says only for customers with direct reservations at rack rate i booked my trip on the internet does anyone know if i can get the free breakfast
Did you book your room directly with Manchebo? If you did, you should be able to get the free breakfast with the Visit Aruba Plus card. However, you should check with the hotel to make sure that you are eligible.

If you booked your room with another company (such as Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, etc.), you won't be eligible for the free breakfast with the Visit Aruba Plus card.

Old Monday, October 16th, 2006, 11:57 PM

ronnie11566 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Visit Aruba Plus Card

I will be arriving Mon Oct 23 06 from the USA . WAs in Aruba 4 yrs ago. Had a card. Remember using it. Not sure how much as we were only there 5 days. Will be there 10 this time and went to oder a card but my hotel is not on the list for delivery. I sent numerous emails to them in past week or so with no reply. CAn you get the card after you arrive in Aruba?? or any other isea's

Thanks
Diane
aka ronnie11566
Old Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Administrator

diane, i will rush this info to their office and see what can be arranged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie11566 View Post
I will be arriving Mon Oct 23 06 from the USA . WAs in Aruba 4 yrs ago. Had a card. Remember using it. Not sure how much as we were only there 5 days. Will be there 10 this time and went to oder a card but my hotel is not on the list for delivery. I sent numerous emails to them in past week or so with no reply. CAn you get the card after you arrive in Aruba?? or any other isea's

Thanks
Diane
aka ronnie11566
Old Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Native Aruban (admin)

Daphne is on a distinguished road

Dear Diane,

I am very happy to find your post, since we have been trying to respond to your email on numerous occasions, but we didn't get a reply, so we suspect our emails have ended up in your spam folder. We also didn't have a telephone number to contact you to answer your questions.

Yes, we can deliver by the 23rd to the Holiday Inn (please confirm whether Holiday Inn or Aruba Beach Club, since they are two different resorts), but it would be best to deliver once you are checked in to make sure you have it sent to your room, since there have been some challenges with the front office in the past.

Re. the car rental: The car rental does not need the card prior to your reservation, although you should inform them that you are a VisitAruba Plus member when making your reservation. If necessary you can always ask them to verify with us that you have a valid membership and we will confirm that with them immediately.

Please do send us your application and in the comments form just mention where you will be staying and we can make sure to have the delivery there. You could also include your telephone number in the event we need to contact you. Please put in the note that you have contacted Daphne about it.

So, please check your email spam folder, since our emails might be ending up in there.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me (daphne@visitaruba.com)

Hope this is helpful

Sunny regards,

Daphne

Last edited by Daphne; Tuesday, October 17th, 2006 at 11:38 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM

donjulio is on a distinguished road

The card sounds so good, that we just signed up for one. After looking at the businesses accepting it, I'm sure we will get our money's worth.
Old Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Administrator

i know, i know, i volunteer for this board so i would be expected to recommend it but i really recommend it because i have saved a lot of money using it. donjulio, just remember to carry it with you...can't tell you how dumb i felt the one or two times i left it in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio View Post
The card sounds so good, that we just signed up for one. After looking at the businesses accepting it, I'm sure we will get our money's worth.
Old Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Aruba Expert

Red face Re: Visit Aruba Plus Card

We've been members for years. It always has more than paid for itself in dinners alone!

This year it's going to be tricky because our current card expires just before we leave on the 19th December. We can't renew early enough to have it mailed to us. I hope they deliver to Paradera.
Old Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Administrator

we had this last year and i remember the office issued the new cards early for those who would be leaving on the 'cusp'. don't worry. they won't neglect you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieMame View Post
We've been members for years. It always has more than paid for itself in dinners alone!

This year it's going to be tricky because our current card expires just before we leave on the 19th December. We can't renew early enough to have it mailed to us. I hope they deliver to Paradera.
Old Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Aruba Expert

I think I got an email from them saying they would email me when it was time to renew. But I lost the email. Geeze.
Old Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, 02:55 PM

andrea j. is on a distinguished road

YES happened to us.
We had a late December visit to Aruba last yr.
Cards expired Dec 1 2005
We arrived on Dec 22.
Our new ones expiring Dec 1 06 were waiting for us at check in at Lacabana BRC!

Daphne and staff are on the ball. This is their business and they do it well.

We have saved a good amount of money over the years using the cards.
Old Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Arubaman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Visit Aruba Plus Card

The card is worth every dollar, one should not leave home without one.
Old Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Aruba Expert

chrisnwillie is on a distinguished road

We use it in restaurants...places like Salt & Pepper's are very good to us...giving us glass after glass of free Sangria with it....Pelican Pier gives us at least 15% off, sometimes 20% off our bill, when more than one couple produces it at the table. We love the card.
Old Wednesday, October 18th, 2006, 01:00 PM

kimidz is on a distinguished road

I'm brand new to this board- we are going back to Aruba for the 2nd time over Thanksgiving. Where do I purchase this card?
Old Wednesday, October 18th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Administrator

here's the link... check out the businesses that are signed up.

http://www.visitaruba.com/plus/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimidz View Post
I'm brand new to this board- we are going back to Aruba for the 2nd time over Thanksgiving. Where do I purchase this card?
Old Wednesday, November 15th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Visit Aruba Plus Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieMame View Post
We use it mainly for lodging. For the last two years we have gotten free breakfasts for two at Manchebo. This year we get a discount at Paradera Park Apartments.

We'll also be using it for the cell service ArubaFastPhones that Charles offers.

We do often use it at restaurants as well.

For us, it pays for itself many times over.
We have used it for restaurants as well and I think a clothing store once. What's the deal you get with the ArubaFastPhones cell service?
Old Saturday, November 18th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

As a vendor that recieves the card, I can tell you that it is one of the better ones. they don't just hope that the vendor gives a nice discount but instead, negotiate on the PLUS cardholders behalf. It seems to me that the folks that get the most benefit are those that do some advanced planning on what they want to do and what establishment is included in their package.

be well
charles
Old Saturday, November 18th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Visit Aruba Plus Card

I just went online yesterday to order my card since I'm down to a little over two months, and decided to have it mailed to me this year. I use it mainly for restaurants, and it pays for itself many times! It's a bargain!!!
Old Saturday, November 18th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Firstlight is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Visit Aruba Plus Card

Thanks for reminding me to renew my card for 2007. We always purchased the card but never used it. Last year I use the card at different places to eat. Also for my Thrifty car rental. The 10% discount on the car rental more than paid for the card

Last edited by Firstlight; Saturday, November 18th, 2006 at 10:24 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old Sunday, November 19th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Aruba Expert

Thanks for reminding me. Just renewed. My card will be delivered to Paradera , which means I won't have it yet when we stop at ArubaFastPhones to pick up the phone, but Charles has said that won't be a problem.

Life is so complicated in the fast lane.

One more month . . .