Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Wednesday, January 12th, 2011, 06:55 PM

coconut is on a distinguished road
Default Deep Sea

Returning to Aruba Jan. 29 2011. Really enjoy this island. We are frequent visitors, and this year, have extended our stay, until Mar. 15, 2011. The older I get, the more I realize, that I really don't like February in the Northeast US. If this snow keeps up, January and December will make that list as well. We have numerous family members coming to visit during this six week period. I have learned that sharing, and seeing Aruba through anothers eyes, enhances my love of the Island. We have brought many friends and relatives, over the years, and we all love it.

I enjoy the website, and appreciate all the effort that goes into it. I hope to remain a visitor, as long as you'll have me. I don't usually post on blogs or boards. I guess I am a "Lurker". Sometime it just seems so "clickish" to me. I tried to respond to a post once and was not "permitted". I do not know why. However, I am wondering if anyone out there can recommend a deep sea fishing charter. I usually go out of the Seaport Marina, on whatever boat, our favorite mate is working, at the time. His name is Albert, and has been fishing all his young life. Over the years we got to know each other, and we look for him, on each return trip. I'm sure I will find him again. I have a phone number to call on arrival. I thought, it may not be a bad idea, to have some recommendations on hand. One of our visitors is looking forward to a couple of trips, and I thought I could set it up before they arrive. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all for the contributions I have read thus far, and for allowing me to post.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, January 12th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Deep Sea

Welcome to our forum coconut. What a wonderful first post!

The reason you couldn't post a respose originally was that you were a guest, and hadn't signed up at that time to be a member. Now that you are- "talk and ask" away.

Trust me, there are no cliques... we're simply friends in the flesh or by knowing eachother's hearts through our love of Aruba, and this board.

Enjoy... and again, welcome!

I, too, am getting to Aruba on January 29th, but for "only" four weeks!!
Old Wednesday, January 12th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Deep Sea

hi coconut! glad to see that you are posting.

the only reasons a member can't post are if their account hasn't yet been activated (that's when you first sign up) or the thread itself is closed. if a thread is closed the only people that can post on it are the webmasters and moderators. hope this helps to give you an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut View Post
Returning to Aruba Jan. 29 2011. Really enjoy this island. We are frequent visitors, and this year, have extended our stay, until Mar. 15, 2011. The older I get, the more I realize, that I really don't like February in the Northeast US. If this snow keeps up, January and December will make that list as well. We have numerous family members coming to visit during this six week period. I have learned that sharing, and seeing Aruba through anothers eyes, enhances my love of the Island. We have brought many friends and relatives, over the years, and we all love it.

I enjoy the website, and appreciate all the effort that goes into it. I hope to remain a visitor, as long as you'll have me. I don't usually post on blogs or boards. I guess I am a "Lurker". Sometime it just seems so "clickish" to me. I tried to respond to a post once and was not "permitted". I do not know why. However, I am wondering if anyone out there can recommend a deep sea fishing charter. I usually go out of the Seaport Marina, on whatever boat, our favorite mate is working, at the time. His name is Albert, and has been fishing all his young life. Over the years we got to know each other, and we look for him, on each return trip. I'm sure I will find him again. I have a phone number to call on arrival. I thought, it may not be a bad idea, to have some recommendations on hand. One of our visitors is looking forward to a couple of trips, and I thought I could set it up before they arrive. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all for the contributions I have read thus far, and for allowing me to post.
Old Wednesday, January 12th, 2011, 08:44 PM

Default Deep Sea

Elaine: Thank You for your response. We had the four weeks booked and decided to stay for Carnivale. We were there in February 2010 for the Grand Parade and had a great time. I really enjoyed getting there early, walking the parade route, and meeting the locals on the way. People were so freindly, and outgoing it was almost surreal. We are hoping to make the pajama parade in San Nicholas this year.

Sherry: I appreciate the guidance. From what I have seen on various forums, you do a commendable job, in maintaining the integrity of postings. Very impressed with your willingness to call it like you see it.
Keep up the good work.

Last edited by coconut; Wednesday, January 12th, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old Wednesday, January 12th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road

Hi Coconut - I like you already. I don't usually have much to say about deep sea fishing because I've only been about 5 times. But I like your first 3 posts so much I feel I can share the little I know. Our best experiences were with the boat from The Driftwood. Not only did we catch fish, but they cooked the fish that night for us at their restaurant. Our worst experience was when my brother picked a fast cigarette-style boat. It may have been fast, but we caught NO fish and my brother and his wife spent their time over the rail sick as dogs. My brother finally managed to croak out that "he would pay for the whole bleepin trip if we'd turn this tub around", lol. So after a short 30 minutes, it was back to shore for us.

Sounds like you have a sure thing with your favorite mate, Albert. I'd stick with that. Who knows, we may just poach him since you recommend him so highly.

Old Wednesday, January 12th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

coconut... I love being there during Carnivale time. Love the spontaneous "jump ups."and all the celebrations going on. Did the Grand Parade one year, and that was enough for me! lol Unfortunately, because it's late this year, I'll be gone, but not forgotten!!

I've been invited to Jouvert Morning many times, but have never "partaken." You should have lots of fun.

This board's very lucky to have sherry at the helm. I'm fortunate enough to know her personally. In fact, we met on another Aruba board eons ago. Prior to meeting her and her fantastic husband, Murray, in real life - she was and is my oldest posting friend... not in age, but in time.

I'm so glad you joined us!!
Old Wednesday, January 12th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

wow! thank you coconut and of course, my friend of many years, elaine. some days i wonder why i continue to volunteer on this forum. it's comments like yours that give me the answer. and now that my ego has been boosted, i'll shut up, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut View Post
Elaine: Thank You for your response. We had the four weeks booked and decided to stay for Carnivale. We were there in February 2010 for the Grand Parade and had a great time. I really enjoyed getting there early, walking the parade route, and meeting the locals on the way. People were so freindly, and outgoing it was almost surreal. We are hoping to make the pajama parade in San Nicholas this year.

Sherry: I appreciate the guidance. From what I have seen on various forums, you do a commendable job, in maintaining the integrity of postings. Very impressed with your willingness to call it like you see it.
Keep up the good work.
Old Wednesday, January 12th, 2011, 11:28 PM

Default Deep Sea

Ro: Thanx for the insight! Great Story. I know how rough those waters can be. The cigarette boat is a chum maker for sure.
Good Luck with Albert. He is just another part of the Aruban enchantment. Great Mate on any Charter. On our 2009 trip we fished with him 3x. Each day out his cell phone would ring constantly. It got to the point where it was interferring with his work. It became a joke and we teased him about it.
On the third trip the calls continued. At one point he handed me his phone so that he could re-bait. I looked at the call log. There were 20 calls in the last 45 minutes, from 13 different woman. I asked him, "What do they want?" He smiled, slyly, and said "Me". I thought it pompous, until he explained, that a young man on Aruba, willing to work hard, for a steady income, and no drug problem, is highly desirable.
This man lives to fish. The phone rang again. He looked at me, and smiled. I answered. It was a woman, who was certainly surprised to not hear papiamento. She immediately switched to English. I asked her why she wanted Albert. She laughed, and said, "We all do." He was whistling for fish and laughing at me.
During our 2010 trip, I looked him up, as usual, even though I was not fishing on this trip. I had brought my nieces down for Carnivale. They have never left the US, or been on a plane, for that matter. I spent all of my time with them. After inquiring around the docks, I found the Charter, he was currently attached to. I asked the men on the deck where he was, and they just laughed. I explained my relationship with Albert to them. When they stopped laughing, they informed me that he was at the Hospital...awaiting the birth of his first child. Perhaps this year, I will meet the winner.
Old Thursday, January 13th, 2011, 10:55 AM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road

Great story, Coconut! Like Ro, I like you already too!

Bobbie
Old Thursday, January 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM

Default Deep Sea

Bobbie,

Thank you for the encouraging words. It seems that is part of the attraction of Aruba. A small island with thousands of great little stories. Just another reason for returning each year. Who will you meet next, and what story will they present. Have Fun!
Old Thursday, January 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM

phillyboater is on a distinguished road

All I can add is that I too have had the pleasure of meeting Sherry and Murray. Unfortunately not in Aruba but in Atlantic City. I am honored to say that I consider them friends.

One other matter. You might want to try the Monday Bulletin Board Party at Amsterdam Manor Beach Bar. Every Monday from 5-6PM. Past years were just so so, but this year about 30 board members showed up. It was a great evening even though a downpour ended it early. We met several of the members later during our trip and were fortunate enough to spend some time with Dutchdushi (Ingrid and Evert). We have returned to Philadelphia and they to Amsterdam. Hopefully we will meet in Aruba again.
Old Thursday, January 13th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Aruba Expert

That's a great story Coconut. Wow, now I really want to meet this Albert guy. Haha, pardon me for being corny, but he sounds like a real catch. I know I know, not my best work....couldn't help myself. I had another line about bait, but I won't go there, lol.

Sherry, all I can say is, thank you thank you thank you for all your work. You make this forum what it is. You lead by example and that's evident by the great job the other moderators are doing too. You've really set the right atmosphere here and that's why we are all so loyal. Are you blushing yet?

Old Thursday, January 13th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Hi Coconut,
Welcome to the Forum. I know you will enjoy yourself on it----both reading other's comments and writing your own. Good for you---extending your time in Aruba. I also love Carnival time in Aruba, and I've probably gone to all the activities during my 26 years in Aruba. Although I enjoy Grand Carnival I especially like the Lighting Parade. Elaine and I tell a funny story about a year we waited for the Lighting Parade to pass downtown. Well, the Lighting Parade is on "Aruba time" and we just got too tired to wait any longer (especially when we have to get up early for chickees.) My friends have been on the Driftwood boat, but after reading your stories about Albert I really feel you have found the best first mate. My advice would be for you to stick with Albert.
Again----welcome to the best Aruba forum.
Old Thursday, January 13th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

I'm still not sure if the parade ever got there that night or if it's still on its way!! We ate, we drank, we walked, we sat on the curb, walked some more.... waited, and waited and waited, and finally around midnight, had enough eating, drinking, walking, curbing and waiting! arty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArubaMary View Post
Hi Coconut,
Welcome to the Forum. I know you will enjoy yourself on it----both reading other's comments and writing your own. Good for you---extending your time in Aruba. I also love Carnival time in Aruba, and I've probably gone to all the activities during my 26 years in Aruba. Although I enjoy Grand Carnival I especially like the Lighting Parade. Elaine and I tell a funny story about a year we waited for the Lighting Parade to pass downtown. Well, the Lighting Parade is on "Aruba time" and we just got too tired to wait any longer (especially when we have to get up early for chickees.) My friends have been on the Driftwood boat, but after reading your stories about Albert I really feel you have found the best first mate. My advice would be for you to stick with Albert.
Again----welcome to the best Aruba forum.
Old Thursday, January 13th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Aruba Expert

Well, we won't be going to any Carnival activities other than perhaps some jump-ups.
Old Thursday, January 13th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Aruba Expert

Yeesh, midnight? That sounds long even for Aruba time. Makes you wonder - lol, Were you in the right place? Did you have the right night? Sounds like you had a good time anyway.

Old Thursday, January 13th, 2011, 10:31 PM

Default Deep Sea

Philly: Hey, thanx for the heads up on the meet at the Amsterdam. Sounds like fun. I will have to check it out. Sounds like a bunch of friends I haven't met yet. Nod to Louis Black.

Ro: If Albert feels that the fish are not biting a certain bait, he will jump into action and switch things up. A true Master Baiter if ever there was one.

Mary: Great story! Sounds like you and Elaine were the parade. Three years ago we showed up at the Stadium for the Flag Day festivities. Only tourists in the place. We had a blast. Who knew? Want to meet some proud Arubans, show up for that event. Homemade food, Crafts and Deserts. WoW! Funny thing, no T-Shirts, Mugs, Pens, Calendars, Mouse Pads, etc. Just fun, music and food with good folks.
Old Thursday, January 13th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Aruba Expert

Angry Re: Deep Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by roschone View Post
Yeesh, midnight? That sounds long even for Aruba time. Makes you wonder - lol, Were you in the right place? Did you have the right night? Sounds like you had a good time anyway.
The Lighting Parade starts way out in the cunucu. We definitely had the right night. We had gone downtown for dinner/drinks/music and then went outside to wait and wait and wait. This happens-----the carnival parades start on time 'somewhere' but unless one is at the beginning of the route one has to wait.