Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Marriott Surf Club

Marriott Surf Club This Forum is for Marriott Surf Club Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 09:59 PM

JTOTO322 is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Surf Club 2BR,2BA, Gold For Sale

Surf Club 2 bedroom, 2 bath, oceanview, Lock Off Option, Gold Season for sale. Asking $24k.

Contact Jimmy at 732-979-3156

JToto322@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, April 5th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Shannon's Mom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Surf Club 2BR,2BA, Gold For Sale

Hi Jimmy,

I'm in Northern NJ and was recently on a presentation at Surf Club. At the time, it was explained that Marriott has the right of first refusal on resales. This is so that owners couldn't sell the timeshare for a deeper discount than 40% off the current selling price.

I don't know how your numbers work out, but the reason that I haven't bought yet is the "break even" calculation.

Let's say the price is $26,000 with $1,000 annual maintenance. If I went 2 weeks a year, that works out to $500 a week for just maintenance alone. I would have to make 2 visits a year for 26 years at another $500 a week to hit the $26,000 mark to "break even", after which the cost would be just the $500 a week maintenance plus going airfare.

By renting 3 times a year averaging out to $866 a weekly stay, I can rent 30 times or for ten years before reaching the $26,000, and the cost of annual maintenance would not be a consideration.

What you may want to do is rent your weeks and bank the amount Marriott would assess to resell your unit so that you break even.
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 12:00 AM

skate is on a distinguished road

"By renting 3 times a year averaging out to $866 a weekly stay, I can rent 30 times or for ten years before reaching the $26,000, and the cost of annual maintenance would not be a consideration."

You could possibly secure a hotel room somewhere in Aruba for $866 a week, but it won't be the two bedroom villa that you bought at the Surf Club for $26K.

Maybe try $855 PER DAY, according to the Marriott website. Care to run those calculations again?

Sk8

Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Aruba Expert

qlaval is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon's Mom View Post
... it was explained that Marriott has the right of first refusal on resales. This is so that owners couldn't sell the timeshare for a deeper discount than 40% off the current selling price...
So untrue! I myself purchased 3 years ago Aruba Ocean Club at 53% of selling price.
explained? By a Marriott salesman that don't want you to purchase resale at any cost...
More right now Marriott doesn't enforce ANY ROFR.

Also I think it is unfair to highjack a for sale thread just like you just did...
It would be more polite to start your own Marriott timeshare resale thread instead of trying to kill this ad don't you think?
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

it's a moot point now anyway since this ad was put up quite some time ago and so was the response. check it out, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlaval View Post
So untrue! I myself purchased 3 years ago Aruba Ocean Club at 53% of selling price.
explained? By a Marriott salesman that don't want you to purchase resale at any cost...

Also I think it is unfair to highjack a for sale thread just like you just did...
It would be more polite to start your own Marriott timeshare resale thread instead of trying to kill this ad don't you think?
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
it's a moot point now anyway since this ad was put up quite some time ago and so was the response. check it out, lol.
LOL March 2008.... Geeeee
Old Tuesday, February 24th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Administrator

knew you would love it, hahahaha.

Quote:
LOL March 2008.... Geeeee
Old Saturday, February 28th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Shannon's Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Are you talking to me? I certainly hope not. Let me slow down the math for you if you have difficulty with that concept:

I have not purchased a unit, and I DO rent three times per year at an average of $866 PER WEEK, as I correctly stated before. At $2,598 per year over ten years (hint: put a ZERO at the end of the previous figure) the total is $25,980, slightly under the $26,000 hypothetical purchase price and WITHOUT factoring in the additional $1,000 annual maintenance (hint: add another $10,000 to the total.)

As for your extremely rude "hijacking" comment, I was courteously providing the poster with a "heads up" that Marriott incorporates right of first refusal into the contractual terms of time share purchases. Whether or not they steadfastly enforce this is not the point. Having this knowledge in advance may prevent this person from doing a lot of leg work for nothing.

I sure hope I never have a week at Surf Club at the same time you do. Rude people have a way of detracting from an otherwise nice time, and I do not suffer rudeness lightly. Understood?
Old Saturday, February 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Aruba Expert

Since this for sale ad is more then a year old I will take the time to answer you.

The thread starter was posting a for sale ad.
You are adding that it is not wise by your calculations to own a TS.
Don't you think that the seller would rather not have this comment for future buyers to see?
The answer is just there...

Also even if I and the other poster don't agree with your numbers don't matter.
The point was that to denigrate TS ownership in somebody else for sale ad wasn't in the seller best interest.
A personnal message to the poster or starting another thread would have been more adequate...
Old Saturday, February 28th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator

actually shannon, what i was referring to was the fact that someone replied to such an old thread. that person was not you.

as to the highjacking comment, qlaval was a bit out of line with his reply by directing it at you instead of the situation itself. you have every right to comment although it makes it awkward for the person who is trying to sell. however, as i said, you have the right to post it without fear of being slammed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon's Mom View Post
Are you talking to me? I certainly hope not. Let me slow down the math for you if you have difficulty with that concept:

I have not purchased a unit, and I DO rent three times per year at an average of $866 PER WEEK, as I correctly stated before. At $2,598 per year over ten years (hint: put a ZERO at the end of the previous figure) the total is $25,980, slightly under the $26,000 hypothetical purchase price and WITHOUT factoring in the additional $1,000 annual maintenance (hint: add another $10,000 to the total.)

As for your extremely rude "hijacking" comment, I was courteously providing the poster with a "heads up" that Marriott incorporates right of first refusal into the contractual terms of time share purchases. Whether or not they steadfastly enforce this is not the point. Having this knowledge in advance may prevent this person from doing a lot of leg work for nothing.

I sure hope I never have a week at Surf Club at the same time you do. Rude people have a way of detracting from an otherwise nice time, and I do not suffer rudeness lightly. Understood?
Old Sunday, March 1st, 2009, 01:02 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
actually shannon, ..., you have the right to post it without fear of being slammed...
Sherry is totally right in her comment.
Sorry Shannon if my comment did seems harsh.

Actually your position on the rental versus purchasing position is a valid one in many cases, it is just that it was done in the wrong thread...
Old Sunday, March 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM

arubasurfclubcanada is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Surf Club 2BR,2BA, Gold For Sale

In my view it all depends on the person and your situation. The first time I went to Aruba we spent $5,600.00 on flight and hotel for 1 week at the Hyatt. That was for 2 people. We have 2 kids as well which we didn't bring at the time. We decided at the time that we loved aruba and would like to go back . We went to view the Surf club and bought a week , at the time i think it was $22,000.00. We've been back to Aruba 9 times since we purchased it. In my view yes it was good, I could afford it , my kids love it, and it makes me want to go on holidays because i know i have it. Before this I hardly went away. So it all depends on your circumstances, if you can afford it, it's not for everyone.

We're leaving on march the 7th, for 2 weeks and all of us are looking forward to it.

Jim
arubasurfclub@yahoo.ca
Old Sunday, March 1st, 2009, 07:05 PM
Aruba Expert

If we limit the comparison to purchase versus rental. (Not TS versus hotel)
Marriott as well as most timeshare properties when purchased directly from the developer especially for the low season are rarely economically viable.
They are mostly an investment fin your life quality as there is no doubt that when you own a timeshare you are more likely to take and enjoy vacation time.

But because the maintenance fee are the same for high and low season, high season week purchased resale on the other side can sometimes be economically viable.
It is cheaper to own then to rent, more if unoccupied your TS rental income for a high demand week can pay for the maintenance fee as well as the timeshare itself.