Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Costa Linda Resort

Costa Linda Resort This Forum is for Costa Linda Resort Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Monday, November 27th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default what do you think?

it has come to my attention that there are some negatives happening at costa linda. i am an owner there too and want to know what is bothering people. obviously, the surprise raise in fees is one item but i would love to get a healthy discussion going here.

opinions please?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, November 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM

felicia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what do you think?

Sherry, have you received notification of the increase from CL yet? I still have not! Interestingly I had posted on the CL members forum a couple of days ago regarding an additional hairdryer in the 2nd bedroom for our stay...looks like no one is responding to anything there!

I definitely hope that things get cleared up there...so many owners are upset.

Old Tuesday, November 28th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

i received it about 2 weeks ago along with the lovely note explaining the increase. i love cl and don't plan to leave it. i also understand that an increase may have been needed. we not only stayed stationary but dropped for 2 years for fees. however, this increase is a large one and doesn't make me too happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicia View Post
Sherry, have you received notification of the increase from CL yet? I still have not! Interestingly I had posted on the CL members forum a couple of days ago regarding an additional hairdryer in the 2nd bedroom for our stay...looks like no one is responding to anything there!

I definitely hope that things get cleared up there...so many owners are upset.
Old Tuesday, November 28th, 2006, 07:00 PM

Can't imagine why we haven't received it! I agree with you...we love it and have no intention of leaving. But I definitely agree with everyone that it was done in a pretty underhanded kind of way. Would have been much easier to accept if they had prepared everyone for an increase in the October payment! Oh well, if I don't receive the notification, I guess I can stop in when we're down there. Regardless of all this garbage, I can't help but feel extremely excited about returning!

Old Tuesday, November 28th, 2006, 09:02 PM

Just as an FYI, they FINALLY posted the information on the CL website in the members forum.

Old Wednesday, November 29th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Aruba Expert

LynnS is on a distinguished road

I have a question about the fees at CL- do all the 2 bedroom units pay the same amount or does it depend on the week owned or the location of the unit?
Thanks
Old Wednesday, November 29th, 2006, 08:37 AM

All 2 bedroom owners pay the same as far as I know regardless of the week or location.

Old Wednesday, November 29th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Aruba Expert

LynnS is on a distinguished road

Thanks- I have always liked CL and would consider buying a resale- this info helps.
Old Sunday, December 10th, 2006, 07:22 PM

GarySundance is on a distinguished road
Angry Costa Linda Problems

Maintenance Fees were just raised in a questionable Board Meeting and in a recent meeting, some Board Members called other Board Members "Liars".

Minutes of Board Meetings have not been published as required and stated "unanimous" votes are in dispute.

Recent events have created a crisis in confidence in the leadership of the Association. Going from a fiscally sound operation to at least a $750,000 deficit.

Members are wondering were their money has gone.

Last edited by GarySundance; Monday, December 11th, 2006 at 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Tuesday, December 12th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Aruba Expert

zerokarma is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Costa Linda Problems

Something rotten is going on there, I hope this is not a sign of more bad things to come for Costa Linda.
Old Thursday, December 14th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Linda VH is on a distinguished road

We haven't gotten our increase notice either. I think it has to do with the new "mega-suites" that they are building. We voted against this but it passed with them saying it "wouldn't cost us anything". Now it looks to me like it is costing us "something". Not happy!!! I won't be leaving but I've stopped bragging about CL for now until we get some answers.
Old Thursday, December 14th, 2006, 12:38 PM

GregW is on a distinguished road

The mega-suites actually had nothing to do with the Maintenance Fee increase. There was money spent for studies and drawings, but nothing for any construction related items.

The deficit was caused by the way the Board is running the show and how they have been interacting with management. At a recent Manager's meeting 2 board members (on the finance committee) showed how the $800,000 deficit was broken down. $475,000 of it was the lack of Room Sales of the remaining 120+ units.

When we questioned them, they didn't even know the budget actually was. It ended up that it is $600,000 per year. So, we were actually only 25% of budget.

So rather than address the problems with the Costa Linda Sales office (closed for a while because of vacations/sickness, not aggressive enough, not being pro-active, etc.) the Board voted to raise the fees and go home.

Thus, the split in the board on how to handle things. If non-descretionary spending was stopped there wouldn't be a deficit and we could therefore spend the time to solve problems. The 6-3 vote to raise fees, the 3 against weren't necessarily against raising the rates, but more about the amount and how it ended up being a "back-door" way to do it.

The Costa Linda is still the best resort on the Island and we all want to keep it that way. We were in much worse shape when we were part of all of Sun Development issues and elected a Board, including a Chairmen, Cy Holley, that got us out of deep doo-doo.

The present Board and Management are starting to get us into trouble again and we just need to do a little work to straighten things out. Back then there was a chance of bankruptcy.

Nobody needs to SELL or not consider BUYING, just let's all pitch in together and help get things back in order.