Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Costa Linda Resort

Costa Linda Resort This Forum is for Costa Linda Resort Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Monday, January 8th, 2007, 10:46 PM

leftyjy is on a distinguished road
Default My Questions From The 'Informal CLBR BB'

Here are the questions I asked on the other bb. I hope this works.
Reply | Forward | Delete Message #155 of 165 < Prev | Next > Hi, I am John Y on the CLBR bb, aka leftyjy on the Aruba-bb.
I've heard mention of several suggestions, some of which raise a
question in my mind.

A. There is talk of establishing a 'Member's Voice' Committee. Who
and how many will serve on that committee?

B. Besides the Annual Meeting in June I've since heard of a meeting
in February and another in November. Are there other important
meetings scheduled during the year? Who attends? Why are there so
many meetings? Are attendees travel and lodging paid for by the
resort?

C. Approximately 165 units, 51 weeks, that compounds out to over
8,000 units. Deduct, say 3,000 to account for multilple week owners
and include un-owned units, that bottoms out at just over 5,000
different owners. How is it possible to reach the hundreds (or
thousands, maybe) of members who do not use a computer?

D. As a board member or committee member I assume there are
committments and responsibilities involving time, travel and
communication. What is the service life of a CLBR Board member and
committee member?

E. Does Dutch Law have any jurisdiction involving any of the inner
dealings, transactions, deedings, etc. that go on at Costa Linda?

F. Who is/are our Aruban Board and Committee members and what is
their stance in all of this?

G. I've heard of some lay-offs at CLBR of some pretty fine staff
members. I've also heard of some potential lay-offs of other
important department heads at the resort. Are there competent
replacements lined up to take their places? Who hires and fires at
the resort? Is there any discussion among managers prior to lay-off?

H. "Emergency Owners' Meeting".... Who would call it? How would it be
scheduled? Where would it be held? Assume a fairly low attendance at
this meeting, how would a vote be handled? Would it be binding?

I. Files, Notes, Books, etc. that are currently in the hands of CLBR
Board members and management, I assume these would be legally
protected for the Owners should some Board members be ousted. What if
these important documents were NOT turned over?

J. All the owners are scattered pretty much all over the world. How
is it possible to collect opinions, votes, applications, etc. unless
a complete name and address listing is made available?

K. Should some existing board members be ousted, how will they be
replaced? How will candidates be chosen? How and when will a vote
occur? Will responsibilities be laid out fully and clearly prior to
their nomination?

L. How solvent is CLBR? Is there absolutely any worry about anyone
losing their timeshare ownership because of any of this turmoil or
the result of some legal mutiny?

M. Do all the departments.....ALL! the departments currently seem to
be performing at the usual excellent level of service we've come to
expect over the years? Friendliness, efficiency, attentiveness
included?

That's about it for questions for now. Let me add: I fully intend to
pay the additional fees. I fully plan to be there for my two usual
weeks in the Spring + one extra night. I'm extremely disappointed in
that some persons whom I've had a very pleasant relationship with at
the resort over the years are now some sort of an adversary, thus,
our relationship could be chilled due to all of this. What a shame!

My sincerest thanks to Greg, Carol, Norm, Joy, Alan, everyone
involved, yes, Judge Schepps, too, whether pro or con my interests,
thank you for having the passion and the drive to do what YOU think
is right for everyone. I'm hoping that everyone, as a group, can
assemble thoughts, plans, ideas, solutions, whatever, to re-form into
one compatible team with one goal, that being to help make Costa
Linda continue for many years as THE best resort on Aruba.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, January 9th, 2007, 08:17 AM

GregW is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Questions From The 'Informal CLBR BB'

Members of the Coalition's Members Relations Group have been working on your answers. There were a lot of them and some needed a lot Research and referral to Costa Linda Association By-Laws and Articles.

I had just gotten the final draft of the Answers and Carol was about to reply to your post.

Sorry that it has taken a few days to reply to your post, but again there were a lot of very good questions, we'll thought out, and very comprehensive.

So, we all wanted to try to get you the very best, accurate answers.

====================
"A"

Ques. There is talk of establishing a 'Member's Voice' Committee. Who and how many will serve on that committee?

Ans. Yes. Proposition 5 would create a Member Relations Committee that will focus exclusively on members' concerns and will recommend to the Board policies and practices which reflect those concerns. Beyond being a vehicle for making complaints or recommendations, this Committee could keep track of common issues that are shared by many members and serve as a monitor on whether these concerns are being met.

The members have the opportunity to structure the Members Relations Committee the way they would like it. It would consist of 3-5 Committee Members chaired by one of the Board Members.

====================
"B"

Ques. Besides the Annual Meeting in June I've since heard of a meeting in February and another in November. Are there other important meetings scheduled during the year? Who attends? Why are there so many meetings? Are attendees travel and lodging paid for by the resort?

Ans. There are Board Meetings scheduled for February, June (day before Annual Meeting), and October. This year there was an Emergency Board Meeting on Nov 27th. The Board meetings are logically and timely spread out over the year.

The existing Committees (Finance, Operations, and Personnel) have their own individual meetings before each Board Meeting. The Finance Committee has an additional meeting in January to review financials and meet with Auditors.

For all these meetings the Board Members have their travel and lodging paid for by the resort. The individual Committee Members and the Chair of the Committee do not get compensated for any of the Committee activities. Most of this is done by e-mail, phone, and writing.

====================
"C"

Ques. Approximately 165 units, 51 weeks, that compounds out to over 8,000 units. Deduct, say 3,000 to account for multilple week owners and include un-owned units, that bottoms out at just over 5,000 different owners. How is it possible to reach the hundreds (or thousands, maybe) of members who do not use a computer?

Ans. There are 139 2-bedrooom units and 16 3-bedroom units for a total of 155 units. The Cayena Suites (4) are not included in the total because they are not owned by any members.

So, 155 units x 51 weeks equals 7,905 Shares. Yes, realistically the number of individual owners is about 5,000.

The Costa Linda Bulletin Board is establishing a procedure for registering your e-mail address for electronic delivery of information (letters, notices, updates, Annual Meeting Convocation, etc.), but will still need to use snail-mail to individual owners who don't/can't register their e-mail address.

====================
"D"

Ques. As a board member or committee member, I assume there are committments and responsibilities involving time, travel and communication. What is the service life of a CLBR Board member and committee member?

Ans. The Board Members can serve up to 9 years. Three Board Members are elected every year to serve a three-year term, creating a Board comprised of existing members (to provide history and continuity) and new members (to add new ideas and varied experience). At the end of their 3-year term, Board Members may stand for re-election and will be added to the ballot sent to members as part of each member's Annual Meeting package. (See Question K below for further information.)

Current Board Members Steven Berger, Keith Walker and Dr. Mike de L'Isle are up for re-election in June.

Committee Members serve at the pleasure of each Committee Chairperson, but must be approved by the Board.

====================
"E"

Ques. Does Dutch Law have any jurisdiction involving any of the inner dealings, transactions, deedings, etc. that go on at Costa Linda?

Ans. The official law in Aruba is Dutch and it is enforced by Aruban officials.

====================
"F"

Ques. Who is/are our Aruban Board and Committee members and what is their stance in all of this?

Ans. The Aruban Board Members are: Mr. Ru Arends (Treasurer & Member of Finance Committee); Dr. Mike de L'Isle (Board Member, Secretary, and Memeber of Personnel Committee); and Mr. Marvin Dupersoy (Board Member & Member of Operations Committee).

Without getting into any of the recent partisan politics, at the October Board Meeting, Mr. Ru Arends & Mr. Marvin Dupersoy voted for the Maintenance Fee increase and Dr. Mike de L'Isle was not present. At the Special November Board Meeting, Mr. Ru Arends & Dr. Mike de L'Isle voted for the increase and Mr. Marvin Dupersoy was not present.

Additional information: Costa Linda is not required to have any Arubans on the Board, but it is to our advantage to have local contacts with Aruban Government Officials, island resources, and their own individual expertise. Of the three Arubans, one has Personnel skills, one has Financial expertise and local connections, and one has Engineering, Maintenance, and Facilities experience. They are not Chairs of the individual Committees, but members of them.

It is to Costa Linda's benefit to have local skills available to Costa Linda Management for consultation in between Board and/or Committee Meetings, since most Board Members are not immediately available for consultation or meetings.

====================
"G"

Ques. I've heard of some lay-offs at CLBR of some pretty fine staff members. I've also heard of some potential lay-offs of other important department heads at the resort. Are there competent replacements lined up to take their places? Who hires and fires at the resort? Is there any discussion among managers prior to lay-off?

Ans. There haven't been any layoffs, but we have lost a few employees: Housekeeping — 1 quit and 1 was fired (supervisors I think); Marcel — Activities Director (Quit) ; Enrique — Front Desk (Quit). The problem is that we are losing very good employees for several reasons, but what is evident, the employee morale has never been this bad.

********* The By-Laws and Articles state:
The Personnel Committee shall consist of three (3) Members of the Association chaired by a Board Director, the object of which Committee shall be to supervise the policy and development of the personnel employed by the association and by the Resort.

Since June, the Personnel Committee has been consistently by-passed, especially on major issues in violation of our By-Laws and Articles.

====================
"H"

Ques. "Emergency Owners' Meeting"... Who would call it? How would it be scheduled? Where would it be held? Assuming a fairly low attendance at this meeting, how would a vote be handled? Would it be binding?

Ans. The present Ballot and Proxies are for an Extraordinary General Members Meeting, which has to be requested by 20% of the 7905 Shares/Votes (1,581 Shares/Owner Weeks). The Board shall discuss this request within fourteen (14) days after receiving it and schedule a special meeting. The Convocation with Ballots will sent out 30 - 40 days before the scheduled meeting.

Should the Board fail to convene an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Members, the requesting Members may do so themselves in Aruba.

====================
"I"

Ques. Files, Notes, Books, etc. that are currently in the hands of CLBR Board members and management — I assume these would be legally protected for the Owners should some Board Members be ousted. What if these important documents were NOT turned over?

Ans. Yes, they are protected. Other than that we would need Aruban lawyers to help.

Of note is the fact we cannot control the Members List, Costa Linda Web-site, Censorship, and etc. without making a policy change by the Board. Therefore, the need for a Member Relations Committee with Board Representation.

====================
"J"

Ques. All the owners are scattered pretty much all over the world. How is it possible to collect opinions, votes, applications, etc. unless a complete name and address listing is made available?

Ans. The Costa Linda Members list cannot be provided to other owners/members for privacy reasons. That is why we are building our own network of names and e-mail addresses.

====================
"K"

Ques. Should some existing board members be ousted, how will they be replaced? How will candidates be chosen? How and when will a vote occur? Will responsibilities be laid out fully and clearly prior to their nomination?

Ans. Yes, we believe certain Board Members need to be replaced. Management should already have requested 1-page Resumes for Board Candidates, which need to be submitted by January 31st for consideration at the February 28th Board Meeting. This is when the Board Members review submissions and select candidates to be included in the Convocation Ballots. We, the members, elect the Board by voting at the June Meeting (by presence or proxy). The Board then elects its Chairperson and all Officers.

====================
"L"

Ques. How solvent is CLBR? Is there absolutely any worry about anyone losing their timeshare ownership because of any of this turmoil or the result of some legal mutiny?

Ans. VERY solvent. Absolutely NOT in any danger of losing your timeshare ownership. There is over $2,000,000 in the Bank to cover any emergencies. The Member Relations Group is regularly referring to the Costa Linda Association By-Laws and Articles to ensure we are in compliance with them and not causing a By-Law/Articles mutiny.

====================
"M"

Ques. Do all the departments...ALL! the departments currently performing at the usual excellent level of service we've come to expect over the years? Friendliness, efficiency, attentiveness, included?

Ans. This is a very subjective question to answer but, again, the morale of employees is at an all-time low. Literally dozens of members have reported hearing wide-spread dissatisfaction and fear for their jobs among the employees. From all reports, it is safe to say our resort is not as clean, efficient, and responsive as it has been in the past.

====================

Last edited by GregW; Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old Tuesday, January 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM

leftyjy is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: My Questions From The 'Informal CLBR BB'

Thank you Greg. Your answers are much appreciated. Only the question regarding Dutch Laws is a bit un-answered. More to the point: Are Dutch legal trends, laws, constitutions, punishments/penalties..... anything 'Dutch', something that the Board or management or us owners have to consider when it comes time to do something drastic..... "impeachment" comes to mind..... or any of the processes you and other activists (please, no slur intended here. I just thought the word was appropriate) are discussing?

Are Joy or Miriam in any jeopardy from actions being planned?

Are Joy or any other Board members able to read this BB?

Is Dr. Holley on our 'side'? Would it be worth having him with us?

I'm going to contact the Sesso's, Eggers', Dolans, and the Modamo's and fill them in. If I hear back favorably from them I'll pass their e-mail addys on to you.

Thanx, Greg.... and Carol.
Old Tuesday, January 9th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

john, if you are asking whether the board members are able to read this visit aruba board, the answer is a resounding YES. in fact, the day that i first learned there were problems, i sent an email to joy inviting her, any other member, and any representatives of their choice to join our board so that both sides would have representation. this was before we even created a costa linda section. at that point i didn't even know how deep the problems were. i just knew there were problems and didn't want a one sided commentary. she was provided with links to the website and my email if she had any questions. i haven't a clue how many of them took me up on the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyjy View Post
Thank you Greg. Your answers are much appreciated. Only the question regarding Dutch Laws is a bit un-answered. More to the point: Are Dutch legal trends, laws, constitutions, punishments/penalties..... anything 'Dutch', something that the Board or management or us owners have to consider when it comes time to do something drastic..... "impeachment" comes to mind..... or any of the processes you and other activists (please, no slur intended here. I just thought the word was appropriate) are discussing?

I'm going to contact the Sesso's, Eggers', Dolans, and the Modamo's and fill them in. If I hear back favorably from them I'll pass their e-mail addys on to you.

Old Friday, January 12th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Aruba Expert

Carol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyjy
Some of the Coalition -- Member Relations Group members in Aruba have had several meetings with a Lawyer that has been hired, and Dutch Laws are the Laws that are being followed. The Aruban attorney has been hired in the Name of the Coalition/Members. They've discussed with the Lawyer getting access to our CLBR Bulletin Board for postings for one, and he is about to advise us what kind of Legal Case we might have.

One of the most important things is that they believe the Maintenance Fee Increase IS ILLEGAL, as this needs to be voted on in a GMM (General Members Meeting). The lawyer is looking into this also.

The lawyer has studied the Articles of Association and our By-Laws, and any action taken will be in accordance with these, which also will be in accordance with Dutch law.

Quote:
Joy and Pearl would in jeopardy of mis-managing Costa Linda. The Personnel Committee is responsible for any actions, but the By-Laws that apply to the Personnel haven't been followed either.

Quote:
Sherry did a good job answering this point above.

Quote:
Cy Holley is on the Board, and obviously is an Owner/Member. Cy Holley is not for some of the propositions, but we have been able to negogiate on several issues and have also agreed to dis-agree.

We have not had any of this type working realtionship with Board Members Schepps, Berger, and Walker. Just a lot of vague non-answers.

Quote:
Our pleasure! We just want you to know if there is a delay in posting a response it's because we're researching the questions to make sure you get factual answers.