Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Costa Linda Resort

Costa Linda Resort This Forum is for Costa Linda Resort Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Thursday, February 15th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default the weekly editorial

Ok people, let me get this straight. I am going to go over the salient points of this tale of woe
  • you have been shut out of your forum due to censoring
  • you wanted a forum that was uncensored
  • you asked for a forum and I acquiesced
  • you have spent several weeks complaining
  • you have 7 days to get resumes in
  • I have suggested posting them on this board for all to see and to make sure that the powers that be do not ‘censor’ them too
  • I have offered to even set up a chat for questions and answers to ‘grill’ the candidates
  • I have offered the opportunity for you all to post your suggestions

So, where are we now? I think we all got stuck on the 4th point. We have spent those weeks complaining. Obviously though, we are not ready to take any actions. I watch dozens of lurkers and several members reading each section each day but no one seems willing to go past the 4th point.

How about this? Let’s try for the 5th point. Or are the candidates afraid to answer questions? You have 7 days people. I hate to use a low class saying but ‘s#$% or get off the pot’. Take some action on either side of this problem and save not just a timeshare but an island full of timeshares that are having problems. Maybe we can set an example?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, February 16th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Carol B is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: the weekly editorial

Hello Sherry,
We thank you for the uncensored forum. This has been are only way of communication. I am hopeful that actions are being taken on some of the issues posted here, but like other things in Aruba things can move slowly. Resumes may not be getting posted because many still don’t know about this bulletin board. I too want to see more resumes and have been looking daily in hope of new news.
I can update this for sure, employees at Costa Linda are glad to see posts here, it shows them we care and are not turning a blind eye. There are many folks working hard to improve the situation!
Again, thank you for the bulletin board and your interest.
Carol Beck
Old Saturday, February 17th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Cyrus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the weekly editorial

While I am told by my attorneys, that I and Ru Arends are the only legally
elected Directors under the original Articles, & therefore not need to run
this next June, I have nonetheless, yesterday, submitted my resume
anyway, just in case.
My scanner is still not working here at home, so I don't know to send it
to this thread. It is the same as the one in the 2005 convocation, or
I can fax it to anyone who wants it
I will be in Aruba Feb 24, & that scanner is working (or was), & I can send
it then to those who so request on this thread.......thanks...Cy Holley
Old Monday, February 19th, 2007, 11:24 PM

leftyjy is on a distinguished road

For the record, how many resumes have been presented? If none of this junk had happened, how many of the existing board members would be reaching the end of their term in 2007? Has there been any definite answer to the question "How many persons will comprise a legal Costa Linda Board of Directors"? Until we know that, we won't know how many candidates to elect. Who would be the existing Board Members that the Coalition want to oust? How will a candidate for Chairman be determined as opposed to a regular board member? What about Joy? What about General Manager of the resort? If there are no resumes submitted to be candidate for that position, what happens?
Old Tuesday, February 20th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Here's the answers to leftyjy's questions...

1) Only Joy Viapree knows the offiicial submissions...today, Feb 20, @ 5pm
is the cutoff. Supposedly, all submitted will be included in what is sent
to the Members in the Convocation for next June 20th. I think we all
should ask for a list of all those "official resumes" to be posted on the
Costa Linda website....not another $4+mailing.

2) Under the 2000/2004 Articles, Berger, DeLilsle, & Walker are up for
re-election. They should all be voted out.

3) No, the legal # of Directors has not been determined. The lawyers,
mine & Costa Linda's, & the Notary have been challenged by me to keep the 9 Member Board, approved in 2000, & to get that approved by
the Aruban Govnt so THAT is what the Members vote on in June
Aruba Beach Club already has that provision , since 2001,& so ours should have already been approved & you might be interested to know that Schepps, as our lawyer on the Board, and Viapree were supposed to get ours approved also. Schepps has his own agenda to
explain why he didn't get this approval done & now wants to go back to
a 5 Member Board. You'll have to ask him directly. He will not respond to
me verbally, by phone, by fax, by email & continues to censor/filter me
from the CL website.

Having said this. I want it clearly understood that I DO NOT WANT TO BE
CHAIRMAN AGAIN, I WILL RETIRE FROM THE BOARD AT THE END OF MY
TERM IN JUNE 2008. I ONLY WANT TO HELP THE COALITION RETURN
CONTROL OF THE ASSOCIATION TO THE MEMBERS BEFORE WE LOSE
ANYMORE GOOD PEOPLE & RUIN THE FINANCIAL SOLVENCY WE HAVE
BUILT SINCE 1999.

4) The Coaltion wishes to oust "up to 6" Board Members, I'm told
that would be Schepps, Berger, Walker for sure, then DeLisle,
Arends & Dupersoy, in that order. Carol Bengis, Linda Rapaport,
& Greg Wallace speak for the Coalition. I do not, only for myself.

5) The Members elect the Board, the Board elects its Chair

6) The General Manager & all principal department heads (eg Pearl
Peters, Finance) are hired by the Board. They do not run for
office. Therefore, they will continue in place, unless & until they
are removed by the new Board elected by the Members, June 2007.

Thanks, JY for asking..........Cy
Old Tuesday, February 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Thank you, Cy. Your input is invaluable! As for me, I have zillions of questions but every time I go to post them on this BB I get timed out and I do not want to make any extra work for Sherry by creating several new threads. I do not want her to 'burn out' having to tend to such an already overwhelming task as moderator.
Let me ask this question, which, while honest to me, might seem like I'm giving in:

Assuming there are too few resumes to offer the owners a valid and varied ballot to select from, if the board does NOT change, no new board members per the Coalition, IS THE COSTA LINDA SAFE AND SOLVENT IN THE CURRENT HANDS?

What with the new funds in the bank account, can I assume that lessons have been learned by the Board members to NOT screw around anymore? That the current Board will see the light and right the ship (and any more clever cliches you can dream up) so we can all resume our vacation plans without FEAR?
Old Tuesday, February 20th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Administrator

lefty... what i would suggest is an easy one... go to your word processor program. write what you want and then copy and paste it onto our board. i do that all the time on long answers. in fact, i did that for this editorial. that way i can stop and think and not time out.

oh, and i burned out 2 years ago. i am working in insanity mode now. ask my husband and he will verify it.

and those questions don't sound like giving up. you just want answers. i personally think that some changes need to be made. some people need to be removed. however, with the entire internet community along with the many costa linda members watching every move now, i think there will be great improvements.

you must assume there are now thousands of eyes on the costa linda BOD. angry tourists and owners can be a very frightening entity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyjy View Post
Thank you, Cy. Your input is invaluable! As for me, I have zillions of questions but every time I go to post them on this BB I get timed out and I do not want to make any extra work for Sherry by creating several new threads. I do not want her to 'burn out' having to tend to such an already overwhelming task as moderator.
Let me ask this question, which, while honest to me, might seem like I'm giving in:

Assuming there are too few resumes to offer the owners a valid and varied ballot to select from, if the board does NOT change, no new board members per the Coalition, IS THE COSTA LINDA SAFE AND SOLVENT IN THE CURRENT HANDS?

What with the new funds in the bank account, can I assume that lessons have been learned by the Board members to NOT screw around anymore? That the current Board will see the light and right the ship (and any more clever cliches you can dream up) so we can all resume our vacation plans without FEAR?
Old Wednesday, February 21st, 2007, 03:24 AM

Dear leftyjy...
Yes, I do believe Costa Linda to be solvent. Last I knew, we had over
$2,million cash in Mellon Bank......accumulated from sales of past acquired
units (reposs'ed & developer buyout) & cost control.....& set aside to
cover a variety of reserves....This was done by the Board elected in 2000,
and most of the financial accumen came from Ken Biederman, who use to
be Treasurer of the State of NJ, & is a Professor of Economics at the
University of Delaware., plus Steve Fanger, who is a CPA & has his own
accounting & investment firm outside Boston...Steve did most of the
financial "grunt" work, ie supervising Pearl Peters. I recruited them.

Neither of them are on the Board now...they resigned for their own personal reasons. I do not have the same faith in Steven Berger nor
Keith Walker that I did in Ken & Steve Fanger. I further have lost
faith in David Schepps, Joy Viapree & Pearl Peters. WHY?

You may be interested to know, that even as a Board Member, &
having requested every single month since October, I have received
NO financial statements for Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, nor have I yet
received a forecast or budget for FY 2007/2008, nor a reconciliation
forecast for the rest of FY 2006/2007.

And, they are spending your & my money in violation of the Purchasing
Policies that the Board has established, and entering into contracts
without proper approval, and I suspect other things, which I am pursuing
with my lawyers.

I am going down there Feb 22 in hopes of obtaining some specific data
& information, & to meet with my lawyers...in preparation for our Board
meeting on Feb 28. Then I will know more....& can write the next chapter

But I can tell you already,....IF....the Coalition doesn't prevail next June,
I will be selling all my units, to younger people who are prepared
to accept the investment risk..........thanks for asking, Cy Holley
Old Wednesday, February 21st, 2007, 07:02 PM

Good luck, Cy. I wish you not only a beautiful weather time in Aruba but a very successful fact-finding trip as well. I am now quite interested in finding out how many resumes were submitted. If Joy is the ONLY person who has that info, how can we be sure that Judge Schepps has not tampered with these submissions? Wow! To think back at the two very experienced board members Cy had with him years ago compared with who is controlling OUR money now, I shudder at what the future has in store for us owners. My TRUST is in shambles at this point and what an awful thing to say about someone in such a position: "I DO NOT TRUST YOU"! It's a crying shame! To have no faith in those in charge to care for something we find so wonderful and to start worrying about what is going to happen. Horrible! Horrible people! Costa Linda was to be my vacation paradise for the rest of my life and now, after each trip, I'll be wondering if I'll ever get back there again! Thank you so much for ruining things.
Old Wednesday, February 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM

Margaret is on a distinguished road

Dear Cy,
Just another "thank you" for your input and dedication in trying to straighten out this fiasco. I only own one week at CLBR and have been enjoying my time there each year for six years, but it's just unfathomable to me that all these "goings-on" ARE going on with impunity to the one/few who is/are disregarding the owners' interests.
Good wishes, and best of luck on your venture down there!
Old Wednesday, February 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM

Excuse me John..... your last sentence thanks me for "ruining" the place.
after I rescued it from bankruptcy in the first place? And am now trying
hard to correct the mistake I made in recommending David Schepps as my
successor? Why don't you join the Coalition in helping remove Schepps?
Instead of insulting me ! Or, I suggest you just sell....thank you...Cy
Old Thursday, February 22nd, 2007, 10:44 AM

retireddave is on a distinguished road

It seems that the "war of words" has added to the worry and suspicions of CLBR owners concerned about the integrity of the resort and allegations of mismanagement. The reality is that, without the cooperation of the current board and its chair and the resort management, there is no sure way of getting answers to our questions about CLBR's financial condition, the legal status of the board (5 members or 9), what, if anything, is being done to obtain approval from the appropriate Aruban government agency for changing the size of the board and, most worrisome of all, what steps are being taken to erase the budget deficit that reared its ugly head last fall.

We must also realize that, unless the board election is held prior to the next annual meeting and current members are ousted, the same cast that got us into this mess will be responsible for drafting next year's budget and setting maintenance fees!

It is time for owners to exert our rights and elect board members who will fulfill their fiduciary obligation to act in the best interests of the resort and the people who are, in fact, investors. It's time for the finger pointing to end...let's put people in charge, on the board and in resort management positions, who will come up with solutions to the problems and prevent them from happening again.

Dave Lorenzatti
Old Thursday, February 22nd, 2007, 03:46 PM

Linda R is on a distinguished road

Dave,
You make an excellent point -- and actually make the argument for the special meeting request that Costa Linda members with some 1,000 voting shares have already signed. It can no longer be denied by anyone with any credibility that most of the current board members must be replaced.

It is clearly in the best interests of Cost Linda members, however, to return board members who have been trying to hold the chairman and others accountable throughout this mess. We frankly can not afford to do without the competence, character, hard-work ethic and experience that Susan deRoos, Gale Measel and Cy Holley bring to the table. If these three, whose terms are not up yet under our member-approved rules, decide to run for the five-member board, we should elect them. We will need them more than ever. Once elected,they would help re-establish a larger board -- which is what the members want -- and we can elect additional people to join them who will be responsible and responsive to the members.

Actually, though, it needs to be understood that all would not be lost if the current board majority, because of manueverings and other stunts, prevailed temporarily at the annual meeting in June. The special meeting -- actually know as the Extraordinary Members Meeting under our valid and legal association rules -- can be held anytime we want it to be. ... and that includes after the June members meeting.

The next update from The Costa Linda Coalition-Member Relations Group will feature a "see for yourself" side-by side comparison of the exact same language fom both our associations' rules determined to be "legal and Valid" and the newer ones in question. This should reassure anyone still somewhat confused by CL Board Chairman Schepps attempt to mislead members in his recent mailing.

Ironcially(but happily), the drive to collect signed ballots and and assign proxy votes has picked up dramtically since Mr.Schepps sent out his expensive and wasteful mailing -- a $30,000(of our money) exercise designed to keep himself in command and keep us, the members from exercising our rights.

Dave, you are correct in noting that the war of words is is not productive. But I don't think anyone can blame those who have been attacked for defending themselves. And as for moving forward, there are still members out there who are confused and undecided about what action to take. We need those people to join the growing majority of active, engaged members who are taking a stand to protect our investment and put us back on the right track.We need to provide them with the information they need to make a choice...and if need be, repeat that information so they can grasp the full magnitude of what has occured under the current board majority.

Here's a reminder for all the stakeholders in a better future for Costa Linda. The Current board chairman Schepps (and those who have gone along with his decisions) needs to be replaced because of his:

* lack of supervision of CL management;

* refusal to release minutes of board meetings or financial information --not only to the members but to duly elected board officials with a responsibility to make informed decisions;

* failure to hold CL management accountable for developing plans to address a fiscal shortfall that tripled over a period of eight months;

* poor communication about and botched handling of a 20 percent, mid-year maintenance fee increase, which was implemented without the required approval of the members

* censorship of our own bulletin board and blatant personal use of it to divert from his own transgressions by posting messages and allowing others filled with unseemly, undignified personal attacks against a current board member and former chairman

* decision to provide a letter filled with personal attacks against the same board member at Friday check-in of our resort

* lack of accessibility to certain of his supposed colleagues on the board(he has not returned their phone calls or e-mails since last fall) and to the members. Despite being at the resort, he has not attended a single GM meeting and, in fact, while he has been at the resort, those meetings have either been postponed until he leaves or have been canceled all together. He does not provide an e-mail address or respond to messages funneled through CL management

* unilateral decision to create chaos as a way to eliminate three board "dissidents" (as he calls all who disagree with him) by defying a consensus of the board reached at its Jan. 9th meeting. That agreement was to have the lawyers work with the Aruban notary to resolve the concerns over the amendments to our bylaws and articles and resubmit the compromises to the members.

Contrary to his claim, there was no pressing need to take the drastic action of dismantling the nine-member board and there was no agreement to have members vote at the June 20 meeting for only a five-member board. And in fact, Mr. Schepps feigned surprise not withstanding at the so-called news of the illegal limbo status of our association rules, before he was chairman, he was appointed by the board chairman to work with CL's counsel, general manager and the Aruban notary to resolve the concerns the government has with our rules. He was supposed to have reported back to the board on his progress.

If you or someone you know needs the ballot for a Extraordinary Members Meeting request and propositions to be voted on at that meeting, please send a private message through this site to:

Linda Rapaport(Linda R)
Greg Wallace(Greg W)
Carol Bengis(Carol B)
Old Thursday, February 22nd, 2007, 06:31 PM

Cy, please accept my sincere apologies. My context and verse construction was poor, thus, it reads to imply that I'm upset with you. That could not be further from the truth. I have always and always will hold you in very high esteem. My distrust and sarcastic "Thanks" was directed towards those few board members whose improper actions have caused all this stir.

I have signed the Coalition Propositions and will never sell my Costa Linda T/S.

I am sorry to have seemingly insulted you.
Old Thursday, February 22nd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Administrator

thank you lefty... after rereading your post i realized what you meant and am glad you set the record straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyjy View Post
Cy, please accept my sincere apologies. My context and verse construction was poor, thus, it reads to imply that I'm upset with you. That could not be further from the truth. I have always and always will hold you in very high esteem. My distrust and sarcastic "Thanks" was directed towards those few board members whose improper actions have caused all this stir.

I have signed the Coalition Propositions and will never sell my Costa Linda T/S.

I am sorry to have seemingly insulted you.
Old Friday, February 23rd, 2007, 07:20 AM

Appology accepted, John. Sorry I misunderstood

I came down here to Aruba last nite, & am beginning to ask
again for financial info. Am promised some today.

There were 23 resumes for Director submitted of yesterday
I'll have them all by today also.

Cy
Old Friday, February 23rd, 2007, 12:18 PM

Jack5031 is on a distinguished road

Cyrus

If you do receive the requested info, I do hope you insist it will also be posted on the Costa Linda Members web site for viewing.

Thanks
Old Saturday, February 24th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Carol B is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: the weekly editorial

Dear Cy,
I am assuming by this date 2-24-07 you are in beautiful Aruba. I can not express how delighted I am to see you posting here. It is vitally important that the members hear from you, so that we might understand more fully what has transpired and what is yet to come. During my 5 week stay this year trying to sort rumor from fact was at times mind numbing. As others do I have many questions, below are just a few.
  • Why is no one seeing a financial statement?
  • Keith Walker, (Finance Committee) claimed in a post “audit has been done” if this it true can we see the audit?
  • Does a New Board have the right to change upper management, without further or future financial obligation to said personnel?
  • David Schepps has not met his obligations as Chairman, are their any provisions in our Coop By-laws to remove him immediately?
  • Are their any provisions in our By-laws for immediate removal of Board Members or Management for lack of financial disclosure to members or other board members?
I thank you in advance for any insight on this, and applaud you for caring. Sounds like you have truly stepped up to right what has gone so wrong! Please post anything you believe the members can do to help.
Carol Beck
Old Saturday, February 24th, 2007, 04:00 PM

Dear Carol Beck , Jack & others

Thank you for your support...I am up to my you know what in sea
turtles, but I have a plan, which I plan to implement in the best interests
of the Coalition at Wednesday's Board Mtg....Then Iill give a full update.
Thanks for understanding in the meantime....Cy
Old Thursday, March 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM

Dear Friends..

Yesterday's Board Mtg & related events were very successful for the
Coalition, & therefore the Members. They are developing a reply to all..

So I will confine myself to answering Carol Beck's specific questions.

. Because the Financial Manager is incompetent & needs to be replaced

. Yes, but it wasn't approved at yesterday's Board Mtg because of a
still open tax issue that hopefully will be resolved today

. Yes, but under Aruban law, it costs big $ in severance

. Yes-the Board has the right to change its Chair. but at present we
do not have a majority. Only the Members can remove someone
from the Board itself. That's why everyone must vote for the
Coaliton petition & be sure to vote when the Convocation is issued

. No-lack of financial disclosure is not presently grounds for immediate
removal of either. The Board may fire Management for lack of proper
performance against Articles/Bylaws/Policies, & the Members may
recall or not re-elect Board Members as they choose
The Coalition...LindaR, CarolB, & GregW know how

More later...Cyrus
Old Thursday, March 1st, 2007, 06:27 PM

Hello, Cy, I do hope you are getting somewhat of a break from business to enjoy your time in Aruba.

Yesterday's Board meeting..... Could you inform us as to who was present, or, if not who, perhaps how many? Was Joy there? Thank you sooooo much Cy.
Old Thursday, March 1st, 2007, 07:22 PM

I'm having so much fun, I haven't set one foot on the sand nor taken one
swim in the week I've been here.

All 9 Board Members were present, plus Joy & Pearl.....they did not have
an Operating nor Capital Budget ready for presentation.. & still don't.

We have another meeting scheduled for 0930 tomorrow. Supposedly
they will be ready, but I have no idea at this writing what it will be

More later..........Cy
Old Thursday, March 1st, 2007, 08:57 PM

For what it is worth, I feel a tremendous relief knowing that you are there with your experience and clout..... however, I feel a tremendous weight knowing that all of YOUR time on Aruba has been spent dealing with all this stuff, dealing with it not only for yourself but for all the rest of us owners out here. You deserve an MVP award for all this. THANK YOU.
Old Friday, March 2nd, 2007, 07:47 PM

Our Finance Committee & Board Meeting today was very productive, but
it is most appropriate & productive for the Coalition to report to you, what
I have reported to them...Cy Holley