Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Saturday, January 29th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: let's do a countdown part 2

I suppose our friends have landed by now, and are pinching themselves that they are finally home in paradise. Oh I can't WAIT to pinch myself. Today, I called Mark and Amy and Ginger and Mitchell and Bobbie and Alex and anyone else who goes to Aruba same time as us just to share the excitement, and now we are all wooo-hoooing all over the place. This is the best feeling ever - like Elaine said, I am so thankful we have Aruba.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, January 29th, 2011, 09:50 PM

Kathy from Ohio is on a distinguished road

Once again I missed saying goodbye to Elaine and Mary before they left to wish them a great time on "our" island. For their sake I hope the time goes by slowly and they savor every last minute...for my sake, I can't wait until I leave cuz I'm right behind ya!
Old Saturday, January 29th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Aruba Expert

And Kathy, I'm right behind you!!

Old Sunday, January 30th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: let's do a countdown part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy from Ohio View Post
Once again I missed saying goodbye to Elaine and Mary before they left to wish them a great time on "our" island. For their sake I hope the time goes by slowly and they savor every last minute...for my sake, I can't wait until I leave cuz I'm right behind ya!
Hi Kathy,
All's well in Aruba----raining now, but I know it's going to clear. Since I arrived yesterday I've spent the majority of time checking in with people we've known forever. This is my 26th year and probably my 50th trip (we at one time came three times a year)-----it's never enough. It's funny to see how green the island is. The beach at Divi and Tamarjin is large, and I guess up towards LaCabana the same. I haven't walked anywhere yet (too much talking between CDM and ABC.)
Old Sunday, January 30th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road

Now that we have officially heard that they have reached paradise from both Elaine and Mary, I can do the big sigh of relief.
Visiting with "old" friends from years gone by is a big part of the Aruba experience, I love that part.
One favor from you both, when Dan and Georgene stop by to visit you, PLEASE give them both a big hug from me.
Have a fantastic time. I'll be seeing you real soon.
Old Sunday, January 30th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Aruba Expert

Thanks for the update. I can't wait to get on the beach at Divi. It's my favorite place. I also can't wait to see everyone we grown to love over the years - so much fun. Again, hugs and kisses to all. Let the good times roll!

Old Sunday, January 30th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsoder View Post
Now that we have officially heard that they have reached paradise from both Elaine and Mary, I can do the big sigh of relief.
Visiting with "old" friends from years gone by is a big part of the Aruba experience, I love that part.
One favor from you both, when Dan and Georgene stop by to visit you, PLEASE give them both a big hug from me.
Have a fantastic time. I'll be seeing you real soon.
It will be a pleasure to give Dan and Georgene hugs from you. Thanks for being so concerned about Elaine and I and our flights. All the storms Elaine had in Pennsylvania and myself in Massachusetts had us both in a tizzy. We were so pleased the weathermen cooperated, and we plan on making every day count.
Old Monday, January 31st, 2011, 09:36 AM

Hi Mary~

Glad to hear all is well in Aruba and especially ABC/CDM. Was hoping the rain was over, but glad it only lasted a few hours and then turned nice.

Sounds like the chickee situation is the same as it's always been (at least that is the way it is when we are there weeks 9-12) or a little worse because of missing 20 chickees. Wonder if they sell tents? Might not be a bad idea. Just pitch your tent on the beach when you get up, take it down at the end of the day. The problem with sharing a chickee is in the afternoon, there's not enough shade to go around. And, there's no trees to get shade from either.

We come in a week before most of our friends so we relax by ourselves the first week (walking the beach), then when they arrive, we get all caught up.

I haven't started the packing yet, but I'm getting closer every day. I have to try on clothes to see what fits. Hopefully, no surprises there!

I enjoy hearing about what's going on at ABC from you and Elaine, so thanks for the updates.
Old Monday, January 31st, 2011, 10:12 AM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road

You'll really be ready for Aruba, Kathy, after the big storm that's coming our way in the next couple of days. Where in Ohio are you from?

Bobbie
Old Monday, January 31st, 2011, 01:11 PM

Hi Bobbie~

We live in southwestern Ohio (between Columbus and Cincinnati) in the suburbs of Dayton called Centerville. Yes, the ice storm they are predicting sounds like it's going to be a doosie. I need to get out today to pick up a few things since I won't be going out the next couple days. I am so ready now for Aruba, but I have to patiently wait my turn!
Old Monday, January 31st, 2011, 09:44 PM
Aruba Expert

Kathy, I know what you mean. Patience is a virtue, but I'm not very virtuous as a rule. All this crappy weather is trying what little patience I have anyway!! lol. We too are expecting snow-ice-snow-ice over the next 2 days. Hang in there -- our time will come.

Last edited by roschone; Monday, January 31st, 2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: cause I'm ****
Old Monday, January 31st, 2011, 10:42 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy from Ohio View Post
Hi Mary~

Glad to hear all is well in Aruba and especially ABC/CDM. Was hoping the rain was over, but glad it only lasted a few hours and then turned nice.

Sounds like the chickee situation is the same as it's always been (at least that is the way it is when we are there weeks 9-12) or a little worse because of missing 20 chickees. Wonder if they sell tents? Might not be a bad idea. Just pitch your tent on the beach when you get up, take it down at the end of the day. The problem with sharing a chickee is in the afternoon, there's not enough shade to go around. And, there's no trees to get shade from either.

We come in a week before most of our friends so we relax by ourselves the first week (walking the beach), then when they arrive, we get all caught up.

I haven't started the packing yet, but I'm getting closer every day. I have to try on clothes to see what fits. Hopefully, no surprises there!

I enjoy hearing about what's going on at ABC from you and Elaine, so thanks for the updates.
Let me preface this with what I heard today---we are down by 30 chickees, not 20!!! Today the put up 3 of the 30---drop in the bucket!!! Picture the first two rows from the first wing to the second wing of ABC-----missing!!! Let me hint as to whom went on to the beach at 3:30 this mornign and tried to sleep on the beach!!!! Hint! 'twas not Mary!!! Well, our friend had an argument with the security guard when he told her she could not hold two chickees for 6 of us. We ended up with one chickee for the day---better than none. We've always been accustomed to getting up, putting the towels down, and then going back to the rooms till 7. One of use was always at the chickees at 7. Some people never come down till 10 or later. We aren't like that. This is so much worse than other years. Believe me when I say that people are saying, "This is ridiculous----I'm selling my units." On another note----the weather was marvelous today, the sea calm, the breeze lovely. Elaine and I ate at Pizza Bob's. No SNOW!!! Tonight we both sleep.
Old Tuesday, February 1st, 2011, 09:20 AM

I guess the chickee situation depends on the weeks you are there. In past years, weeks 10 and 11 are very bad and from what you are saying they are going to be worse this year due to the beach situation, etc. Week 12 is more laid back. This is our first year going for the full week 9 so don't know what to expect except what you are currently going through. It's hard to imagine the first 2 rows of chickees being gone. We have even thought about just staying on our patio and getting a lounger to put on the grass and not hassle with trying to get a chickee. We have known people to put their towels out before they go to bed to reserve their huts for the morning. Then when people complain, security takes their towels. A few years ago, ABC instituted a new rule that whatever time you reserved your chickee, you had to stay there until 6:00 a.m. Then you could leave for up to 2 hrs. to prevent people from saving a chickee and then never using it or only using it a few hours but having it for the whole day. Last year we went for a walk on the beach and the security guard was going to take our towels when some ladies who were sitting near us told him that we had just left to take a walk. We are never gone more than an hour. We are on the beach pretty much non-stop. After all, that's why we go to Aruba! The problem is there are not enough huts to go around even if all the huts were up so this year it's going to be a lot worse.
Old Tuesday, February 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM
Almost Aruban

This situation goes on every year at LaCabana for the 2 weeks I am there which would be 8 and 9. I know people who go over to the beach at 3 in the morning and sleep there to make sure that have their "spot" for the day.
I also know and have witnessed groups of people that go out of their units after midnight and stack chaises and chairs around 5 or 6 tables and tie their towels to them to try to secure them. I have personally counted as many as 18 chairs and chaises at these tables. The worst part of their scheme is that most days you don't see a single person at their "spot" until 10 or after. Last year security "finally" did something about it, but it didn't last, two days later, same thing. I have always suspected that these 2 groups of people "pay off" the security guards so they have their spot saved. And me, I just get up and out by 7 and have no problem finding a spot.
And now for my very important announcement- 19 days until I'm in the air heading to Paradise.
Old Tuesday, February 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM

Elaine and Mary, so glad the weather has been good. Even when it's bad, I just remember, that even a bad day of vacation beats a good day of work.
Two weeks from today, we'll be in the air. Can hardly wait!!

Bobbie
Old Tuesday, February 1st, 2011, 03:15 PM
Aruba Expert

I'm going to start with my wonderful news!! 32 days 32 days 32 days.

I am one of those people who sometimes doesn't get out there til 10 or so. I AM on vacation after all and sometimes like to laze around in the morning. I kind of think it stinks that you have to get up early to enjoy a day in the sun. But that's just me. Sometimes we're lucky enough that someone we know is out there early. Most times not. If I don't go out early, I don't expect to get a chickee and I deal with it. Divi has a big beach and hardly any huts, so we're kind of used to it. But if I had a chickee, I'd be ripping mad if I went in for lunch or to the potty or something, and then had my stuff taken away 'cause I took too long. Next thing you know, they'll have meters installed for pete's sake. Gimme a break!

Out to shovel Part 1 of the 8th storm this year - there's a quick break in the snow. Part Duex to follow....this one's going to be murder. I know I'm crossing threads here with frightful weather, so I'll say it again. 32 days 32 days 32 days.

Old Thursday, February 3rd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Almost Aruban

I'm in my teens again, and I don't mean years, I mean DAYS!! Days, until the 20th when I will be up, up and away in my beautiful plane!! (Bet you thought I was going to say balloon.) Days until I am out of this cold and damp and rainy weather.
As a side note, I read on another Aruba BB, that Dan and Georgene did not get out of Chicago yesterday, (Wed), they are now not scheduled to leave until Sat. He continues to plow and is trying to now make all the necessary :changes to their plans. Bummer for sure. Maybe I'll get to see them this year after all. I bet Georgene is having a fit!. I know I would be.
Old Thursday, February 3rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
Aruba Expert

And I'm 30 Gina, lol. I really like saying that. Truly a bummer for Dan and Georgene. I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but you always hope that weather won't affect your vacation plans. I hope they are able to rearrange things. Will keep my fingers crossed for you guys.

Old Thursday, February 3rd, 2011, 06:46 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road

The hut situation is horrendous. Picture this... up at 3, down to the beach where you see bodies fast asleep with pillows and covers, and now the long stretch ahead until 6 AM so you have a place to sit that day. Security arrives on the scene with flashlights... any hut that has no body is stripped of their belongings. I must say that this is the most stressful vacation I've had in all the years I'm coming here, and there's not a single person who isn't vocalizing my sentiments.

Add to the discomfort of sleeping on a chaise, the rain that began at 5:30 this morning. At 6, I was taking a shower to get the damn sand off me. I'm so totally ticked off at this situation that I can't even talk about it without getting p*ssed off.
Old Thursday, February 3rd, 2011, 09:14 PM
Aruba Expert

Wow Elaine, I am feeling your pain. How's the pool situation there? Maybe you could try that for a couple of days? The scene you are describing on the beach is CRAZY. I am so sorry. Stress should not be in the equation when in Aruba.

Old Thursday, February 3rd, 2011, 09:48 PM

Elaine~~I feel your pain and your stress. It's makes the saying "the early bird gets the worm" have more meaning!!! As I have posted previously, we have gotten up, gone out to get our hut around 3:30-4:00, and stayed with the hut until 6:00 a.m. Not fun, but like you said, to guarantee you have a spot to sit during the day. And, yes, there have been sleeping bodies out there at that time (my hubby included) as well as a large group of guys that stay out there and have coffee and chat. I think they must all take naps on the beach during the day. This has been going on for many years durings weeks 10-12 long before the current beach situation. I cringe to think what it's going to be like when we get there this year...probably have to go out at midnight and stay there. Don't think that's going to happen! If there is a better way to secure a chickee, I'm all ears! Besides the hut situation, you're having a great time, right?

And, Ro, there is less huts at the pool than on the beach so that's not a good alternative unfortunately.

We're going to just be so happy to be out of Ohio and this crappy winter and not let this get us down. Hopefully, more and more of the beach will come back each day.
Old Thursday, February 3rd, 2011, 09:50 PM
Aruba Expert

Last night one of the members arrived on the beach with security guards-----all chickees without "bodies" were stripped. The people who observed this (in the rain) were not only wet and tired, but appalled. I believe the pool area has similar issues. Those of us who are beach people, love the feel of sand under our feet. To hear people who have been here 25-30 years saying they look forward to going home is sad. We have also heard people saying they may sell their units. That is even more sad. Tomorrow night is my night so tonight I hope to sleep early and well.
Old Thursday, February 3rd, 2011, 11:27 PM
Aruba Expert

Is it a hut situation, or a chair situation, or both? If you have chairs, I wonder if a beach umbrella would help. Do they sell them on island? Oh listen to me, I am just so desperate to hear you all having a good time that I'll come up with anything. Sorry for the lame ideas.

Old Thursday, February 3rd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Aruba Expert

As bad as the hut situation is, no one -unless you live in the south- would want to come back home. Ice, snow, single digit temps every other freaking day. No, no - you don't want to come home.

Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Almost Aruban

I am so very sorry this "chickee" situation is going on while Elaine and Mary are there and having to deal with it. And what is the resort doing about it, other than sending the security guard around to "strip" the ones with no bodies there of the belongings, the way I see it, NOTHING. They SHOULD be putting up more "chickees" to keep the timeshare owners happy. That is MHO.
People should not have to get stressed out over where they are going to spend the day on the beach while on a much needed vacation. I'm pretty sure from what I saw while there in Dec. that most of Eagle Beach Resorts are all having this problem. The storms were taking beach area away every day.
Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Aruba Expert

I agree - that's what your maintenance fees are for. I know no one could have predicted the damage from these storms, but it's happened and the resorts should man up and fix the problem. They could at least try!

Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Aruba Expert

ArubaAmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am so very sorry this "chickee" situation is going on while Elaine and Mary are there and having to deal with it. And what is the resort doing about it, other than sending the security guard around to "strip" the ones with no bodies there of the belongings, the way I see it, NOTHING. They SHOULD be putting up more "chickees" to keep the timeshare owners happy. That is MHO.
People should not have to get stressed out over where they are going to spend the day on the beach while on a much needed vacation. I'm pretty sure from what I saw while there in Dec. that most of Eagle Beach Resorts are all having this problem. The storms were taking beach area away every day.
Eagle Beach is nice and wide in front of Amsterdam Manor and LaCabana - have also heard the Tam has a nice wide beach now, too.

There is absolutely NO WAY I would EVER get up early on vacation to get a palapa.

I took this photo early morning on Jan. 3rd on the beach in front of Amsterdam Manor.

26th trip to Aruba: April 2012
27th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2012
Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Aruba Expert

My ticker disappeared. Anybody know why that would happen?

Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Almost Aruban

Ro, not me, I have no idea what happened to your ticker. I would like to learn how to put one up though!!! If you look back, yours disappeared couple of days ago.
The 20th of Feb. will be here very soon. Yippee!!!!
Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Aruba Expert

Pretty sure it was there yesterday. Hmmm, I'll have to check it out. I believe I'm down to 29. Haha, really came to rely on that sucker.

Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Aruba Expert

I think it's a caribbeanmag.com issue which is where I created my ticker. I don't see anyone's ticker from that site. I see where it's trying to download the ticker but then fails. And when I try to create a new one by going to caribbeanmag.com, I get a server error message. Maybe the site is down. Will check back later.

Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Down to 11 days, girls. Almost single digits. I am always so anxious! Aruba never gets old. Every year I look forward to going as much or more than the year before.

Bobbie
Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Aruba Expert

I feel exactly the same way Bobbie. A lot of people ask why we go back to the same place every year. They just don't understand. I live for this trip - it carries me through the rest of the year. I am sooooooo excited.

Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Jimmy B is on a distinguished road

Will be at Surf Club a week from today !!!

Which reminds me... I better start emailing my favorite restaurants for reservations.
Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Aruba Expert

Hi All,
I'm writing this now at 10 of 9. I'll be in bed in ten minutes----lights off, television off. I'll be trying to catch some shut-eye cuz it's my night to go to the beach at 3----pillow and extra towels in hand-----hoping to get a chickee. Some people have either gone home today or will go in the morning so Elaine, Bob, Sue and I will try to move down to flat land. We've been sitting on a hill all week. All in all though-----the weather is delightful, the sand is returning and we are basking in the sun. This too shall pass. Wish me well tonight.
Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Aruba Expert

Good Luck Mary!!! I will send positive thoughts your way. Sleep well my friend.

Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Aruba Expert

OK, I have given up on the caribbeanmag.com ticker. So I went to the Ticker Factory and set up another one. It counts a little differently, it says 1 month plus 1 day, instead of 29 days, but at least it's there. Can't imagine what happend to the other one.

Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Aruba Expert

Well, I'm probably boring you all by now. Stupid me when in to edit my new ticker and now it's gone again. I'll figure this out yet.

Old Friday, February 4th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Aruba Expert

Yeesh, finally!!! What a p.i.t.a. I'm sure you were all breathless waiting for me to get this right, lol.

Old Saturday, February 5th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by roschone View Post
Yeesh, finally!!! What a p.i.t.a. I'm sure you were all breathless waiting for me to get this right, lol.
Great that you figured out your ticker!!! It's raining now but I hope it clears soon. I was on the beach at 5 of 3, and set up the chickees. We figured we'd take two because it's Saturday and alot of people left. i had spoken with a couple yesterday and they bequeathed their chickee to me. I sat at it around 4-5. Elaine, Bob and Sue got the one next to me. Well, I had just finished laying down the towels, stood on a chair to wrap the bags around the pole and then proceeded to curl up on my lounge. Twenty past 3 along came the guard----stopped at Bob and Elaine's----I said, "Excuse me sir (I HATE confrontations). That's my brother's chickee," He asked me where he was and I pointed up to the pool area---"See, there he goes to the lavatory." He continued to fold the towels, handed them to me, and said, "Give them to him when he returns." I know it wasn't his fault. He's just doing his job. I watched as he stripped other chickees where there were no bodies, and then I boldly put their towels down. Needless to say I didn't sleep at all. At 5 of 6 I staggered to my room, still couldn't sleep so went back down at 7. All's well. Now we await the sun. Room change day also. Oh that's so much fun!!!!!
Old Saturday, February 5th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Aruba Expert

What an ordeal! Well, hopefully today will be filled with sun, relaxation and quiet moments. All that ticker stuff I went through yesterday, and now my original reappeared!!! Well I guess 2's better than one. Have a great day.

Old Saturday, February 5th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Almost Aruban

Never, never, never would I get up at 3 to reserve a chickee or any other thingie. I would just march my butt down the beach and find an empty spot, some place to perch for the day. Personally, I like the pool area, that way I'm not bringing sand back into my unit, I hate stepping in sand on the floors! OK so I'm whoozie and I know it!!!
It is my understanding that what Mary and Elaine are going through at their resort, most all other resorts it's the same story.
Ro, don't let me leave without some info from you.
Old Saturday, February 5th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Aruba Expert

Ok, don't yell at me, but when do you leave again?

Old Saturday, February 5th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaAmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Never, never, never would I get up at 3 to reserve a chickee or any other thingie. I would just march my butt down the beach and find an empty spot, some place to perch for the day. Personally, I like the pool area, that way I'm not bringing sand back into my unit, I hate stepping in sand on the floors! OK so I'm whoozie and I know it!!!
It is my understanding that what Mary and Elaine are going through at their resort, most all other resorts it's the same story.
Ro, don't let me leave without some info from you.
I can name quite a few resorts in Aruba where you DO NOT have to get up at the crack of dawn (or in this, before dawn!) to get a palapa....those are the places we stay at.

26th trip to Aruba: April 2012
27th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2012
Old Monday, February 7th, 2011, 11:19 AM

aquarius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roschone View Post
My ticker disappeared. Anybody know why that would happen?

From what I can see, it is there at the bottom of your messages.

Relaxation on One Happy Island!
Old Sunday, April 17th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Aruba Expert

sir_drinkalot is on a distinguished road

This thread is on page 3??? really??? Trip booked for June 4 to 11th...time to start packing!
Old Sunday, April 17th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_drinkalot View Post
This thread is on page 3??? really??? Trip booked for June 4 to 11th...time to start packing!
Lucky doggie!! arty: Heyyyyyyyyyy, weren't you just there?? lol
Old Monday, April 18th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
Lucky doggie!! arty: Heyyyyyyyyyy, weren't you just there?? lol

So glad that we are back to counting Elaine.
Old Monday, April 18th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Aruba Expert

sir_drinkalot is on a distinguished road

Oh yes!! Back to counting! Ummm...im horrible at math..must use fingers and toes and such. But I can only count to 21 this way
Old Tuesday, April 19th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Darryl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoffdhoff View Post
Down to 11 days, girls. Almost single digits. I am always so anxious! Aruba never gets old. Every year I look forward to going as much or more than the year before.

Bobbie
Very true! Aruba is THE ONE place where each visit IS better than the last one!!