Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Tuesday, May 27th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default where did your moderator go?

I know you are all wondering why I have been so quiet and what could be wrong with my computer to keep the mouthy moderator so silent. It is time I explain.

As you all know, we arrived on the island on Wednesday 21 may. We drove to ocean 105, our new home away from home. We love the place enough that we are now considering selling our timeshare and using this as our home after our already planned august trip.

However, this trip hasnít been exactly like other vacations on aruba. Normally, we have a bit of a working vacation although because I love what I do it doesnít feel like work to attend a few meetings and such. We go to the beach, eat like pigs and gain more weight, I check my email and rub in how much fun we are having, and then it is time to come home and start counting the minutes until the next trip. This trip hasnít gone exactly as planned.

Iím not going to waste your time with details because they arenít important and I really find them upsetting to talk about but we had all of our valuables taken in a nonviolent incident. The feeling of violation is an uncomfortable one. The losses are not fun either. Our luggage will be a lot lighter on the return than they were on arrival. All was taken except clothing, one camera that they missed, and the luggage itself. Our computers, ipods, tickets, passports and a bunch of other stuff no longer are part of our lives. Home owners insurance is covering all but our cash. We carry a fair amount of cash instead of travelerís checks. That will change now but it doesnít help to recover what we lost since we found out that insurance only covers $200 no matter how much cash you have. That is a burden of stupidity that we will have to carry with us forever.

The police were slow to respond but I will give them the benefit of the doubt since all of them were stuck with crowd control for the soul beach festival and there were no physical injuries involved. That was the negative side although the crime scene guy was really very good when he was able to get there.

The positive side has been the reaction of the people we know or who have heard of us down here. Let me see if I can give you some examples. We have spent most of this part of our trip on the phone with people we barely knew who were concerned. It is the Aruban way. They have gathered around us to help. We have been treated to meals and even our trip to the laundry room was free, lol. It is the Aruban way. The people of Aruba are everything we always knew they were.

We all know petty crime has increased on Aruba as it has everywhere else on earth including where we live but crime isnít rampant on Aruba. However, this has opened discussions about crime and what to do. Today we had some fruitful meeting with people that can do things on this island. A neighborhood watch is now planned. We hope to get one of our members down here to help establish it. Aruba will protect its own and its tourists. We are brainstorming ways to fix the problems that werenít even thought of before. We hope to rapidly set up a touristís advocate to help any tourist who has a problem.

The point is, I canít recoup all of my financial losses but murray and I both are of the philosophy that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes it takes years to learn those reasons. It looks like this time those reasons are becoming evident quickly. it gave us a chance to see the best side of the aruban people and to open closed doors that will never be closed again.

So, forgive me if I am not on line that much for the next few days. I now have a borrowed laptop but am not in the room enough to really stay on line. we hope to meet with people a few more times but maybe we will also finally get to the beach for only the 2nd time. so far we have had less than 30 minutes in the water. My moderator family will have to take over for me just a little bit until we get the opportunity to sit a while and talk with everyone of you.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, May 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Almost Aruban

ruba4ever is on a distinguished road
Default Re: where did your moderator go?

sherry...if you see this...I am so sorry that this has happened to you. But I can see that you are being treated well and that the people of Aruba are everything that we all knew they were. Hope you can enjoy some of your vacation. Please take care....we're thinking of you.

Old Tuesday, May 27th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Aruba Expert

chip collector is on a distinguished road

That's really terrible. I hope you will be able to get some money somehow. I feel very sad for you, but I hope you will be able to get past it, somehow.
Old Tuesday, May 27th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

Thank you for sharing both the good and the bad. I hate for stuff like this to happen but we are all kidding ourselves if we think that it can't happen to us or it can't happen on Aruba. The best response is not to say that it was an isolated incident and carry on like before; the best response is to do exactly what you are doing.

I never thought I would see the day when organized neighborhood watches would be needed on Aruba but I don't live with blinders on. I think that is a terrific idea, as are all the other plans that you say are now in motion. Hopefully, there is enough evidence that ALE can track down the perp and get him or her (or them) off the streets.

It does warm my heart to read about Aruban kindness coming to the fore once again. If there's anything at all that this natural born and raised Aruban can do from 1,800 miles away, just ask.
Old Tuesday, May 27th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road

Sherry - I'm so sorry that this happened to you and Murray. If you need anything, just ask. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Almost Aruban

BigPapa is on a distinguished road

DITTO to all the above. It started off so well too.
I am Thankful that no one was hurt. I let George read this and she was shocked that this happened.

By what I read....This would mean they gained entry to your safe also.

Man...This bugs me.

Dan & Sweet Georgene
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Administrator

hmmmm, anyone have any idea how hard it is to be without a computer when you use it as much as i do? thank god for good aruban people. i am sitting here with a borrowed computer from a very good man.

i am also chatty and wired so i can't sleep. i seem to be returning to normal (if there is ever such a state for me) so i will try to tell you some stories.

first, i really don't want to go into details of what happened. it really is upsetting but the rest needs to be mentioned since i learned a great deal over the last few days about behind the scenes in aruba.

behind the scenes, arubans are nicer than they seem. i didn't think that was possible but they are. the kindness is part of the culture. something most of us americans have a short supply of. we need to steal a little of it from them. the management at ocean 105 has been the best support anyone could ask for. ahata has been there for us. even our homeowners has been there.

i also learned what aruba has been and is going to do about crime. obviously, no place is perfect. we always try to remind members of that. however, in general from talking to arubans, police, americans living on the island and others, violent crime is almost unheard of even in this day and age. there is petty crime-- burglaries to some extent, car breakins and vandalism. however, having heard not just statistics but in talking to the people who know, i wish my community had as little as aruba.

however, it brings up the point of safety any time we travel. we harp on that on this board. we have sections for it. we try to update them. but let me give you the generic warnings again.

if it is of value and you want to bring it on any vacation, make sure there is a safe to put it in. make sure the items are on your homeowners. bring atm cards, credit cards and travelers checks. if you lose cash all insurance companies will reimburse $200 and not a penny more. make sure you have travel insurance. make sure you have receipts for all major items you keep. (we have two items we are hoping to find receipts on that we brought with us. if we don't, we won't have proof that they were here.) it won't help against crimes but will help against losses of most other sorts. make copies of your passports and keep them in each suitcase. print copies of your airline info and do the same. keep the phone numbers handy for homeowners insurance, travel insurance, your doctors, pharmacies, and anything else important to you. ironically i had most of those on a print out and got to use all but the doctors and pharmacies.

understand that the people that will help you the least are the people at the amercan consulate. i personally thing that when they are selecting the 'volunteer' foreign service people for iraq, the ones living a cushy life in the ABC islands should be on the short list. as you can tell, so far they have been less than useless. today again i will try to let them know that my passports have been stolen. those passports have probably been used at least once since my first, second, and third attempts to contact them. the stolen passport workers have so far had at least a 4 day weekend. god forbid if you have your passport stolen on a legal holiday or any day but monday, wednesday and friday (i swear this is truth).

obviously, i will be posting this and other info in the safety section but insomnia made me write it here. actually it's the first attack of insomnia. i am ready to commit a crime myself and steal the matress off of this bed. it is amazing and made in aruba.

now off to read some of the bb. life is returning to normal, lol.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Aruba Expert

chrisnwillie is on a distinguished road

Thanks BP for pointing out this thread to me.

Sherry I am sorry this has happened to you.....very sorry, but I am not surprised.

This happened to our friends, this has happened to many people we know personally, first hand in 2007 and 2008. I feel like I have been crying 'wolf' about it.

Take care both of you.

XOXOXO
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road

Sherry and Murray, we are so sorry to hear that this has happened. And Sherry, we all do need a reminder about safety, no matter where we are. Hey, be thankful they didn't take that mattress you so love!
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 07:24 AM

andrea j. is on a distinguished road

sherry and murray
i am so angry i could spit.
the feeling of violation is horrible.

wishing you both well and hoping your stay gets much better and you have some more beach time.

love you both
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Aruba Expert

susanna is on a distinguished road

I am so sorry that this happened! I am pleased that because of this, steps are being taken to try to bring back the safety/security of the island. Like Andrea said, the feeling of violation must be awful. If tonight you can't sleep, try to get yourself some Benedryl, or Gravol, that could help.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: where did your moderator go?

Hugs to you both.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Almost Aruban

Out of all the places we have stayed.( off the resorts )...Ocean 105 is the safest feeling place we have stayed at.
Locked entrance to the complex.....Higher walls all around...security lights..darn near everywhere..on 24/7.

Locking rods used on windows....This just makes me want to wring someones neck.

Dan & Sweet Georgene
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Aruba Expert

ArubaAmy is on a distinguished road

Sherry, I don't have anything additional to add that hasn't been said in all of the posts above.

All I can say is that I'm sending my support (in any way that I can - and please let me know if there's anything I can do!) and hugs to you and Murray!!!!

26th trip to Aruba: April 2012
27th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2012
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Oh gosh, I am so sorry, Sherry! Having been robbed in NY twice, I know that feeling of violation. I am glad homeowner's insurance will cover some of it.

Please take care!

Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 11:07 AM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: where did your moderator go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArubaAmy View Post
Sherry, I don't have anything additional to add that hasn't been said in all of the posts above.

All I can say is that I'm sending my support (in any way that I can - and please let me know if there's anything I can do!) and hugs to you and Murray!!!!
Well said, Amy. Sherry, this is a good warning about using cash. I am so guilty of doing that too. I always hate to come home to a huge credit card bill, so I always bring cash. I will definately heed your words and rethink. Let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do.

Bobbie
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Almost Aruban

donnie is on a distinguished road

sherry - Like everyone else, I am sorry that this happened to you and murray. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. Your great attitude will get you through this! Thankfully, neither you nor murray were hurt.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

bp, that is the reason i sort of waited a bit of time to write about this. ocean 105 is truly the best and most comfortable place we have ever been to. we really are talking about selling our timeshare and scheduling our stays for when lynn has availability. this hasn't changed that idea. there is more security here than at costa linda. if it could happen here it could happen at the white house (i think it has happened at the white house actually). it's like the internet hackers. no matter what the security, someone can find a way around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
Out of all the places we have stayed.( off the resorts )...Ocean 105 is the safest feeling place we have stayed at.
Locked entrance to the complex.....Higher walls all around...security lights..darn near everywhere..on 24/7.

Locking rods used on windows....This just makes me want to wring someones neck.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

donnie!! you somehow turned your pm's off. can't send to you. so... thanks for the offer but we are actually doing pretty good now.

thanks you!!!
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Aruba Expert

Arubalisa is on a distinguished road

So sorry this has happened to you.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 01:27 PM

sbatjc is on a distinguished road

Sherry I feel awful for you but is there anything we can do beyond feel awful?

Do you need anything wired to you? Do you need to get in contact with anyone regarding your passports? Can we buy you some gift certificates to some restaurants?
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM

sandy1355 is on a distinguished road

Like Chris, I want to thank BP for pointing out this thread to me.

Sherry, I'm so sorry. What happened to you and Murray is awful. I'm so grateful no one was hurt but I know you're going through such a difficult time. Please take care.

Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 02:44 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
bp, that is the reason i sort of waited a bit of time to write about this. ocean 105 is truly the best and most comfortable place we have ever been to. we really are talking about selling our timeshare and scheduling our stays for when lynn has availability. this hasn't changed that idea. there is more security here than at costa linda. if it could happen here it could happen at the white house (i think it has happened at the white house actually). it's like the internet hackers. no matter what the security, someone can find a way around it.
Sorry to hear about this. As you know, we had some stuff taken in 2006. we were at the snorkle spot at Mangel Halto at the time though and all we lost was a travelers check. We were reimbursed for that check after we returned stateside so we did not lose any money. Travelers checks and plastic are the way to go.
I dont think there is more or better security at Ocean 105 than at ABC or Costa Linda. If that were so, we wouldnt have this thread. If they have a security guard at 105, he should have seen the thief. After all, there are only 4 apartments to keep an eye on aren't there? He or someone should have had no problem seeing a stranger inside the walls. I see security guards all the time at the timeshares and hotels.
On the bright side, maybe now that our "queen" has been offended and the tourism folks know how many people you can reach, something will actually be done about the problem.
When I spoke with some locals after our incident, they said that the problems were being caused by a small number of people and the police knew who they were. The police just dont make any effort to catch them in the act or investigate them after the fact.
I remember some posts from a few years ago about cars being broken into at Sea Breeze and someone elses room being ransacked at another small complex as well.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator

first, wow! thank you so much everyone! nice to feel wanted. we are doing very well actually. the credit card is our friend, lol, but better than that, our aruban friends are wonderful and kind.

now to what bob said, bob, there was no security guard but you must understand, and bp can vouch for it, the burglar had to be a gymnast with great jumping and climbing skills to even get into this complex. even then, a resident would have had to leave doors or gates unlocked which we are warned about upon arrival. the only place with any access at all can only be left open by one resident. the place is truly secure but can only be secure as the tenants allow it to be. you can put all of the locks and bolts, chains and keys, bars and cactus up but if someone is negligent that is staying at a place and doesn't bother to follow the rules, then everything you do is in vain. that is the circumstance here. we are sure of it.

understand that i would not defend ocean 105 if there was any possibility that they were negligent. i would be screaming and kicking my way to a courtroom to sue them. i don't like having almost no vacation and spending my life on the phone trying to straighten out this mess. it has made me very grumpy. however, i would more than feel comfortable staying here again. i hope to stay here in august for a week. i actually feel like it is my home. if the benji room is available i will be here.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Almost Aruban

Thank you Sherry for the update on your situation. It seems from your description of whom ever did this deed, that there were "spiderman" skills involved. Funny in a way because someone tried to tell me that units at LaCabana BRC were robbed and the person or persons climbed up and down the building to balconies to do their works. If you are familiar with this resort, it seems unlikely indeed that anyone could possibly do this.
Like others have mentioned, I am just glad that you both were not harmed physically.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM

TomR is on a distinguished road

Sherry: I was very sorry to hear about the burglary, but thankful that neither of you were injured. I am happy to hear though that you are not talking this lying down, but rather taking action that will hopefully help others that may face the same problem in the future. Establishing a Town Watch is a good thing but only for the neighborhoods involved. Establishing an Advocate for tourists is a wonderful idea that will help any tourist with a problem regardless of where they stay on the island. I wish you the best of luck in your efforts, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Tom
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator

thanks tom!

actually the interesting thing is if we do a town watch here we hope to expand it thru the island. start with one area and spread it out. give people the opportunity to help their own island.

i said that it was possible something good could come of this. i see new things on the horizon that will make aruba bigger and better. i keep wondering how we can improve on paradise, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Sherry: I was very sorry to hear about the burglary, but thankful that neither of you were injured. I am happy to hear though that you are not talking this lying down, but rather taking action that will hopefully help others that may face the same problem in the future. Establishing a Town Watch is a good thing but only for the neighborhoods involved. Establishing an Advocate for tourists is a wonderful idea that will help any tourist with a problem regardless of where they stay on the island. I wish you the best of luck in your efforts, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Tom
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Aruba Expert

Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road

Sorry to read this happening.

Is there a possibilty that they had a key?

Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Almost Aruban

seashelldiver is on a distinguished road

Sherry......I am so VERY SORRY to hear that this breakin happened to you and Murray. We hate to admit it, but crime is increasing in Aruba, a sign of the times.......and just as an added word cause I have two friends in Aruba who work at the Marriott and they are shocked how many tourists leave their passports out in the room laying around......not only does one need to lock up money and valuables, but also passports.......a passport in a Colombian or Venezuelans hands is worth several thousand dollars on the black market......they are altered and used to get into the USA.......when working Immigration there in Aruba we used to catch people with stolen passports at the airport and would "break" the person using a stolen/altered passport and some paid as much as 3,000 dollars for it on the black market in their country, these passports travel straight to South American to be altered and sold.........the Consulate in Curacao only comes to Aruba once every other month and I have my own stories about their uselessness........again, Sherry, email me when you get home and know that we love the 2 of you very much and thank GOD the two of you are safe and unharmed !!!!!
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsoder@yahoo.com View Post
Thank you Sherry for the update on your situation. It seems from your description of whom ever did this deed, that there were "spiderman" skills involved. Funny in a way because someone tried to tell me that units at LaCabana BRC were robbed and the person or persons climbed up and down the building to balconies to do their works. If you are familiar with this resort, it seems unlikely indeed that anyone could possibly do this.
Like others have mentioned, I am just glad that you both were not harmed physically.
I didn't know this! I always felt the rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors were fairly safe from burglars. Thanks for the heads-up!

Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator

very highly unlikely ebb. if it was, they made a copy while staying as a resident. definitely not an inside job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-Beach Boy View Post
Sorry to read this happening.

Is there a possibilty that they had a key?
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

Sherry I know that this isn't one of the 20 question games, but I noticed in your previous post that you said it would take a negligent act from a resident to allow the possibility of this to happen - does that mean you think you (or another resident) left a door or window open/unlocked?

Wow, I knew a few details but hadn't realized that your passports and plane tix were gone too. I have to tell you Sherry, your lack of a murderous rage is inspiring. I always preach to find a positive even in a horrible situation, and that things happen for a reason, but sometimes like BP said it feels like the best/only solution is to wring someone's neck. Your even keel is a lesson to us all in dealing with stress.

You have my cell #, call anytime 24/7 if you need anything and I am on it.

Um...if they'd consider an American for the tourist consulate post, I know of someone who would be VERY willing to relocate, and he has a lot of experience with crisis management
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d View Post
Sherry I know that this isn't one of the 20 question games, but I noticed in your previous post that you said it would take a negligent act from a resident to allow the possibility of this to happen - does that mean you think you (or another resident) left a door or window open/unlocked?

Wow, I knew a few details but hadn't realized that your passports and plane tix were gone too. I have to tell you Sherry, your lack of a murderous rage is inspiring. I always preach to find a positive even in a horrible situation, and that things happen for a reason, but sometimes like BP said it feels like the best/only solution is to wring someone's neck. Your even keel is a lesson to us all in dealing with stress.

Um...if they'd consider an American for the tourist consulate post, I know of someone who would be VERY willing to relocate, and he has a lot of experience with crisis management
I completely agree with what you have said about sherry's even keel throughout this mess. And, speaking of candidates for the job of tourist consulate or liason (or whatever we want to call the position), I have someone in too. How about an American with an Aruban birth certificate?

Last edited by charlierat; Wednesday, May 28th, 2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator

actually kev, we know it was not us. you need a key to lock or unlock and ours was locked. when we left and locked when we returned. i am not going to go further with this at the moment.

tonight i hope to actually go out to dinner and not have this aruban phone ring. it would be so exciting to go thru the evening without it. i have never received so many calls in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d View Post

Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 05:19 PM

belinda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... no place is perfect. we always try to remind members of that.
I am so thankful that you are ok. Our town was hit this weekend by a deadly tornado, and many are feeling quite the same. As you so eloquently stated "No place is perfect", but we are thankful that we are here, and that we still have a roof over our heads! Many are not so fortunate.

Our prayers are with you that you will enjoy what is left of your vacation, with the thought that "stuff" can be replaced (other than the cash, which we will surely not travel with in the future).

Safe travels, Belinda
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Somebody help me out here, but if I recall rightly, there was once one or two burglaries committed on second floors, and the burglar was given the name "spiderman." I recall a couple on a second floor sleeping while the gymnast was busy taking everything he could carry... Can't tell you how many times I've gotten calls at ABC to close my balcony door, and I'm on the second floor.

We all have to take responsibility for our actions because as sherry said, someone didn't do what they were supposed to, and in turn, it's created a nightmare for our Queen and her bethrothed.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Almost Aruban

You are right Elaine. Those are probably the very stories I was told. Supposedly this "spiderman" hit several units on the 3rd and 4th floors at LaCabana BRC. When I was there in Feb. I tried to figure out how this could be possible and unless "spiderman" came down from the roof via ropes, there is no way it could be done. And in case you don't know, the place is all lit up all night long and there are security guards 24/7. My unit is on the 4th floor and I always make sure the balcony door is locked.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Aruba Expert

millertime is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about the incident. Hits a little too close to home when it is
someone you know. I'm glad you and the hubby are safe.

Later,
millertime

Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Gina, I also think it happened in town at the Renissance...and Manchebo or Bucutti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsoder@yahoo.com View Post
You are right Elaine. Those are probably the very stories I was told. Supposedly this "spiderman" hit several units on the 3rd and 4th floors at LaCabana BRC. When I was there in Feb. I tried to figure out how this could be possible and unless "spiderman" came down from the roof via ropes, there is no way it could be done. And in case you don't know, the place is all lit up all night long and there are security guards 24/7. My unit is on the 4th floor and I always make sure the balcony door is locked.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

I am shocked and saddened by the report of what has happened to you.
I know there have been reports of theft at large resorts with others not reported, but to the casual observer, it seems that a number of the break-in/thefts were reported north of the Marriott area/at smaller establishments. Maybe it is just easier to watch when the residents/guests are away.
I hate to ask but does Ocean 105 have room safes?
(I try to read carefully if it was stated above, but I do miss things.)
I admit our casual attitude at our timeshares. I think there were a few "spiderman" reports in the past, but unfortunately (and stupidly) we assume some relative safety on the third and fifth floors. We do lock passports, cash and jewelry in the safes when we are out. I think we will be more careful when we stay in our other ground floor studio this year.
I am very sorry for your loss. You work hard to promote Aruba and Arubans, but you have stated as we know...that the good people of Aruba are FAR MORE NUMEROUS than the others.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJT View Post
I am shocked and saddened by the report of what has happened to you.
I know there have been reports of theft at large resorts with others not reported, but to the casual observer, it seems that a number of the break-in/thefts were reported north of the Marriott area/at smaller establishments. Maybe it is just easier to watch when the residents/guests are away.
I hate to ask but does Ocean 105 have room safes?
(I try to read carefully if it was stated above, but I do miss things.)
I admit our casual attitude at our timeshares. I think there were a few "spiderman" reports in the past, but unfortunately (and stupidly) we assume some relative safety on the third and fifth floors. We do lock passports, cash and jewelry in the safes when we are out. I think we will be more careful when we stay in our other ground floor studio this year.
I am very sorry for your loss. You work hard to promote Aruba and Arubans, but you have stated as we know...that the good people of Aruba are FAR MORE NUMEROUS than the others.
Yes there are safes. Set your own number..push button.

Dan & Sweet Georgene
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Texas Gal is on a distinguished road

Since the American Consulate has been unresponsive, have you tried to contact either your U.S. Congressman or Senator's office? There are liaison's at the State Department whose sole duties are to respond to requests for assistance by congressional offices on behalf of citizens. It may be worth a try. The State Department has a pretty good reputation for responding to citizens who have issues or problems while overseas.
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Aruba Expert

2hokies is on a distinguished road

Sherry,
I hope you turned that phone OFF so you could have a few minutes peace!!

Cathy
Old Wednesday, May 28th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hokies View Post
Sherry,

Cathy
Seriously! Good point.
Old Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Administrator

we have several sayings in our family... one of which is 'if our ship comes in, we'll be at the airport'. after 4 days of trying to get in touch with the consulate in curacao i got angry, called the state department in washington and they got the ball rolling. curacao called me (boy was i shocked) apologized, and got on the ball. at 4pm our passports were finally taken off the list of 'let's sell them, make $3k and send a crook to washington' (oops, that happens every 4 years anyway.) about an hour later, the phone rings. it is our landlord. she says, 'sherry, go to the gate. the police called and can't get in. they need to talk to you'. off this chubby body goes to the gate to find two very nice and proud policemen who have found our passports intact. it seems that the thieves were too stupid to realize their value and ditched them. so now i have useless passports, lol. but, it did renew a little faith as the cops said we really do put out the word and a security guard found them. he promised to keep looking for everything else but my predition is there is a young thief out there video recording himself as he types away on my keyboard telling all of his friends of the bounty, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gal View Post
Since the American Consulate has been unresponsive, have you tried to contact either your U.S. Congressman or Senator's office? There are liaison's at the State Department whose sole duties are to respond to requests for assistance by congressional offices on behalf of citizens. It may be worth a try. The State Department has a pretty good reputation for responding to citizens who have issues or problems while overseas.
Old Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Administrator

belinda, you are totally right. i think that the reason we have remained so calm during this is that we have lost family and friends so many times that we have learned the priorities. so we lost some money. compared to losing a friend 2 months ago, it is nothing. we can save and go again. he can't. our material things can always be replaced. those we love are gone forever. we may be unlucky but we are alive and well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belinda View Post
I am so thankful that you are ok. Our town was hit this weekend by a deadly tornado, and many are feeling quite the same. As you so eloquently stated "No place is perfect", but we are thankful that we are here, and that we still have a roof over our heads! Many are not so fortunate.

Our prayers are with you that you will enjoy what is left of your vacation, with the thought that "stuff" can be replaced (other than the cash, which we will surely not travel with in the future).

Safe travels, Belinda
Old Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Administrator

i wish i could, cathy. but at the same time, i am glad that i haven't. somehow, i actually ate dinner last night without the phone ringing. it was a first since saturday, lol. however, most of the calls were from people who really care about us and about aruba. that sure makes up for it. i sure am glad that incoming calls don't cost, lol. i would have spent a fortune if they did.

also i must thank my landlord for giving me usage of her phone for the last several days. i would not like to see her phone bill. thankfully the outgoing calls will now stop since the last pieces of the puzzle are complete and all calls have been made (i think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hokies View Post
Sherry,

Cathy
Old Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Aruba Expert

2hokies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i wish i could, cathy. but at the same time, i am glad that i haven't. somehow, i actually ate dinner last night without the phone ringing. it was a first since saturday, lol. however, most of the calls were from people who really care about us and about aruba. that sure makes up for it. i sure am glad that incoming calls don't cost, lol. i would have spent a fortune if they did.

also i must thank my landlord for giving me usage of her phone for the last several days. i would not like to see her phone bill. thankfully the outgoing calls will now stop since the last pieces of the puzzle are complete and all calls have been made (i think).
Well okay. Now find the beach, at least for 30 minutes today!!!
Old Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
'let's sell them, make $3k and send a crook to washington' (oops, that happens every 4 years anyway.)
I love it!!!
Old Thursday, May 29th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Almost Aruban

seashelldiver is on a distinguished road

Kevind.......here ya go.

The U.S Consulates around the world are all American Citizens....it's tough to get in, but once you do its a sweet job. Here's the website of how to apply.....LOL

http://careers.state.gov/local-emplo...selection.html