Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Monday, March 6th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Okay, okay, who is going in April?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_nj
Funny you shoudl ask...just got hubby to agree (at lunch) and I booked my tickets...now desperatly waiting to hear from the guy with a room...he was holding it for me...then I declined...then I accepted all in a matter of 3-4 hours. So he will either not rent to me cause he thinks I'm a nut or just hasn't gotten my new e-mail yet! But he did repost them for rent on our BB so I know its still available. Dates are 3/25-4/3!!! If you go to Cap't Ed's right when they open on Sunday...you always get a table right away. They open at 4:30!
If you have a lucid moment on your honeymoon...maybe we can get together for a celebration drink!!! My husband is a Bergen County guy. Loves old Blues and Southern Rock and dropped out of medical school to PARTY!!! I could be married to a doctor!!!! And heck us Long Islanders (or at least NYers) always get along (right Corrine?)!!!
Absolutely! Us guys have to stick together!

Now, I'm jealous I'm not going too.......

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 6th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Jimbo Jones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Funny you shoudl ask...just got hubby to agree (at lunch) and I booked my tickets...now desperatly waiting to hear from the guy with a room...he was holding it for me...then I declined...then I accepted all in a matter of 3-4 hours. So he will either not rent to me cause he thinks I'm a nut or just hasn't gotten my new e-mail yet! But he did repost them for rent on our BB so I know its still available. Dates are 3/25-4/3!!! If you go to Cap't Ed's right when they open on Sunday...you always get a table right away. They open at 4:30!
If you have a lucid moment on your honeymoon...maybe we can get together for a celebration drink!!! My husband is a Bergen County guy. Loves old Blues and Southern Rock and dropped out of medical school to PARTY!!! I could be married to a doctor!!!! And heck us Long Islanders (or at least NYers) always get along (right Corrine?)!!!
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Getting together in Aruba would be lovely - and like your hubby, my future wife is a Jersey girl - so I guess we'll both be in mixed marriages! She does not hold it against me - in fact, she appreciates being with someone that like going into the city and knows his way around there!

We'll be at the Radisson from 3/27 - 4/3. Hey - are you flying out of Newark or Phily on the 3rd?

Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Almost Aruban

elisabeth_nj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Jones
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Getting together in Aruba would be lovely - and like your hubby, my future wife is a Jersey girl - so I guess we'll both be in mixed marriages! She does not hold it against me - in fact, she appreciates being with someone that like going into the city and knows his way around there!

We'll be at the Radisson from 3/27 - 4/3. Hey - are you flying out of Newark or Phily on the 3rd?
Just squared everything away this morning. We are leaving from Philly on 3/25 and returning on the 3rd on the 4:20 USAir flight! (Are you also doing Philly...wouldn't that be a pip if we were on the same flight coming home?) Staying at our T/S resort LaCabana just up the road a piece from you guys! What time does your flight come in on Monday? They hold a BB party every monday night at the Amsterdam Manor...but its your first night and i'm sure you'll want to get the lay of the land and enjoy your new bride before venturing out to meet people you don't know !!

Its funny....my husband hung out in the Village (Greenwich) and I lived and hung out on the upper west side...so when we go into the city i'm the expert of up town and he's the expert of downtown! Its perfect! Hung out at a place across the street from the Blue Note 2 friday's ago! Had a blast! Was going to catch the midnight show at the Blue Note...but was getting tired and had a long drive home!
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Just squared everything away this morning. We are leaving from Philly on 3/25 and returning on the 3rd on the 4:20 USAir flight! (Are you also doing Philly...wouldn't that be a pip if we were on the same flight coming home?) Staying at our T/S resort LaCabana just up the road a piece from you guys! What time does your flight come in on Monday? They hold a BB party every monday night at the Amsterdam Manor...but its your first night and i'm sure you'll want to get the lay of the land and enjoy your new bride before venturing out to meet people you don't know !!

Its funny....my husband hung out in the Village (Greenwich) and I lived and hung out on the upper west side...so when we go into the city i'm the expert of up town and he's the expert of downtown! Its perfect! Hung out at a place across the street from the Blue Note 2 friday's ago! Had a blast! Was going to catch the midnight show at the Blue Note...but was getting tired and had a long drive home!
We are on that very same flight coming home! - scary huh? I prefer Philly as I am a US Air frequent flyer and that is one of their hubs.

We are arriving in Aruba at 3:38PM. I think the BB party is @ 5PM which would be too soon. I'm sure we can make arrangements to meet up for drinks / lunch some other time.

With the wedding coming (plus I have custody of my 10 year old son every other weekend) we have not been in the city a lot lately. We did go in for my future brother-in-law's gig at The Cutting Room. Nice place - owned by Chris Noth (Mr. Big / Det. Logan). Jay-Jay French was there (guitarist from Twisted Sister) as he is friends with one of the band members. As far as expertise - count me in for Midtown as I worked there for 14 years! But I do know my way around downtown - especially the Village, TriBeCa, etc.

Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
We are on that very same flight coming home! - scary huh? I prefer Philly as I am a US Air frequent flyer and that is one of their hubs.

We are arriving in Aruba at 3:38PM. I think the BB party is @ 5PM which would be too soon. I'm sure we can make arrangements to meet up for drinks / lunch some other time.

With the wedding coming (plus I have custody of my 10 year old son every other weekend) we have not been in the city a lot lately. We did go in for my future brother-in-law's gig at The Cutting Room. Nice place - owned by Chris Noth (Mr. Big / Det. Logan). Jay-Jay French was there (guitarist from Twisted Sister) as he is friends with one of the band members. As far as expertise - count me in for Midtown as I worked there for 14 years! But I do know my way around downtown - especially the Village, TriBeCa, etc.
That's great...This will be our 7 trip in 4 years (can ya tell we LOVE it?) and all have been USAir out of Philly. (flight 653 from Philly to Aruba and Flight 654 from Aruba to Philly) That's how I'm getting my free tickets now....first time I'm ever using FF Miles! Was pretty easy. I always thought it was a pain in the butt but heck I got mine right away and for such short notice. Before we leave I'll give you our Aruba Cell Phone number (we finally bought one last Nov.).
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
That's great...This will be our 7 trip in 4 years (can ya tell we LOVE it?) and all have been USAir out of Philly. (flight 653 from Philly to Aruba and Flight 654 from Aruba to Philly) That's how I'm getting my free tickets now....first time I'm ever using FF Miles! Was pretty easy. I always thought it was a pain in the butt but heck I got mine right away and for such short notice. Before we leave I'll give you our Aruba Cell Phone number (we finally bought one last Nov.).
I've never been to Newark but am very familiar with Philly as I lived in Cherry Hill, NJ for 6 years.

An Aruba cell phone - I was going to post a question about that - do I need to get one for a week? Is it just as practical to use the hotel phone? Or is an Aruban calling card the way to go?

Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Okay, okay, who is going in April?

Jim... you don't want to use the hotel phone... they scalp you! Calling cards are good, and renting a phone is good. Because I go every year, I bought a cell on island, and use the Ventaha card which I find very economical. I called home often in 3 weeks, and never even started the second Ventaha card which I'll save for next year. It all depends on if you want to be reachable, or if you need to call home.

Quote:
I've never been to Newark but am very familiar with Philly as I lived in Cherry Hill, NJ for 6 years.

An Aruba cell phone - I was going to post a question about that - do I need to get one for a week? Is it just as practical to use the hotel phone? Or is an Aruban calling card the way to go?
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Almost Aruban

In laymans terms...that means we have prepaid phones for Aruba and just buy minutes when we get there. If you want to rent a phone we can give you the name of a great guy who has a booth right at the airport (for pickup and drop off). It will cost roughly 50.00 (for approx. 45 minutes of airtime, plus you can buy more) for the week and all incoming calls from the states are free (for you but not for the person calling you.)

I also find that the calling cards bought in Aruba are not accepted at alot of the phones around the island. Does anyone else have this problem (besides the LaCabana people as we all know what happened there)?

Sorry Elaine, if i never went to Aruba I would never know what a Ventaha card was!
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Okay, okay, who is going in April?

No problem, elisa. Calling cards just seem the way to go, even here in the states, so I assumed Jim knew what I meant. I buy them so that I can call Aruba from home after I got charged $55 for a call.

What I liked about the Ventaha card this year is that after the first time you use it, one of the options, if you're using the same phone for every call, is that it recognize the card number and you only have to enter it once. It was a pain before having to dial all those numbers. Now it's the area code and number... bingo, you're there.
Quote:
In laymans terms...that means we have prepaid phones for Aruba and just buy minutes when we get there. If you want to rent a phone we can give you the name of a great guy who has a booth right at the airport (for pickup and drop off). It will cost roughly 50.00 (for approx. 45 minutes of airtime, plus you can buy more) for the week and all incoming calls from the states are free (for you but not for the person calling you.)

I also find that the calling cards bought in Aruba are not accepted at alot of the phones around the island. Does anyone else have this problem (besides the LaCabana people as we all know what happened there)?

Sorry Elaine, if i never went to Aruba I would never know what a Ventaha card was!
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S
No problem, elisa. Calling cards just seem the way to go, even here in the states, so I assumed Jim knew what I meant. I buy them so that I can call Aruba from home after I got charged $55 for a call.

What I liked about the Ventaha card this year is that after the first time you use it, one of the options, if you're using the same phone for every call, is that it recognize the card number and you only have to enter it once. It was a pain before having to dial all those numbers. Now it's the area code and number... bingo, you're there.
Wow that's great Elaine! We never had a problem until they took the "black" phones out of LaCabana. We've all made such a stink I believe they are putting them back! But I like the fact that the kids can reach us anytime (or the babysitter, inlaw or whoever). There is always an "emergency" while we are gone. Like someone stole Steven Jrs. sneaker (only 1) and my mother in law had to use the emergency money to go and get him new ones...that was a crock...the kid just wanted new sneakers...and then once Chistopher NEEDED minutes for his cell phone and I said we can use the emergency money to buy HIM his minutes (they must use their own money for things like that...or no cell phone!)...OMG these kids will try everything....so far in all our trips to Aruba...none of the calls were actual emergencies (knock wood)...I was obviously kidding. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Now I make a note for whose ever watching them and first thing I put is...NO NEW SNEAKERS, NO HAIRCUTS, NO CELL PHONE MINUTES, ETC....then we get on the important stuff!
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road

Elizabeth NJ-Just want you to know how very happy I am for you that it has all worked out and you ARE getting to go to Aruba. I know you are soooooooo looking forward to this trip. Enjoy!!!!!!!
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Jeanine is on a distinguished road

Elisabeth, my parents just got back from La Cabana and the black phones are back. Can't wait 25 more days to paradise
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Almost Aruban

Thank you THank you Thank you...I might end up in the poor house...but at least i'll have my wonderful memories of Aruba.

I need to find a place for 2 nights...does anyone have a suggestion? Cheap of course. Would like to try something/someplace different. Stayed in the Ren. Ocean Suites, Rad., HI and LaCabana. I checked The Mill and they want 200 a night!!! I usually go in May and November and have gone at the end of April and I think Sept....so I'm not used to High Season prices, Phew!!! Maybe one of the places down past the Marriott (the safe ones, hee hee).
Thanks guys your help would be appreciated!!!

Wow, thanks Jeanine...now that we have our aruba cell we won't need it but I know alot of people who will be very happy about that!
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Thanks Elisabeth - I would appreciate the recommendation - but I'm trying to determine if we REALLY need one. It sounds like we'll need some type of phone as the hotel will gouge us. I guess it boils down to buying a calling card or renting a cell. The cell phone would be advantgeous if a true emergency arrose. I'm leaning towards that option.

Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wow that's great Elaine! We never had a problem until they took the "black" phones out of LaCabana. We've all made such a stink I believe they are putting them back! But I like the fact that the kids can reach us anytime (or the babysitter, inlaw or whoever). There is always an "emergency" while we are gone. Like someone stole Steven Jrs. sneaker (only 1) and my mother in law had to use the emergency money to go and get him new ones...that was a crock...the kid just wanted new sneakers...and then once Chistopher NEEDED minutes for his cell phone and I said we can use the emergency money to buy HIM his minutes (they must use their own money for things like that...or no cell phone!)...OMG these kids will try everything....so far in all our trips to Aruba...none of the calls were actual emergencies (knock wood)...I was obviously kidding. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Now I make a note for whose ever watching them and first thing I put is...NO NEW SNEAKERS, NO HAIRCUTS, NO CELL PHONE MINUTES, ETC....then we get on the important stuff!
OMG, did you crack me up! You have to have kids to appreciate this! I had an "emergency" call last October, they announced it at the pool. I ran to the phone in our room, scared to death. It was my 18 year old announcing she hurt her knee running, up at college and the fact that she made it to the ER with a friend and took care of it herself! Wasn't I proud of her, she wanted to know. After I got done yelling about the cost of the call to tell me this, she was very insulted, she thought that this was important for me to know!

Years ago, when she was with us, she would sneak phone calls home from our room at LaCabana. Charges on my AMEX would be $186 and up!

This year we are renting a phone for the week!

PS - what are black phones at LaCabana? I didn't know about them!

Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine
OMG, did you crack me up! You have to have kids to appreciate this! I had an "emergency" call last October, they announced it at the pool. I ran to the phone in our room, scared to death. It was my 18 year old announcing she hurt her knee running, up at college and the fact that she made it to the ER with a friend and took care of it herself! Wasn't I proud of her, she wanted to know. After I got done yelling about the cost of the call to tell me this, she was very insulted, she thought that this was important for me to know!

Years ago, when she was with us, she would sneak phone calls home from our room at LaCabana. Charges on my AMEX would be $186 and up!

This year we are renting a phone for the week!

PS - what are black phones at LaCabana? I didn't know about them!
OK now you have me cracking up.....I told the kids that the phones in the room didn't work for the US so they never tried...TG!!!

The black phones were the ones down by the elevators that you could by the Ventaha cards and use them there! Only they took them out some time ago to force us to use the room phones!!! Well they are back. Last November Steven Jr. went to the PBV's and AM to try to call his girlfriend and none of their phones worked with the card either! They are apparently special phones you need to look for. All others are direct dial or maybe credit card calls...who knows!
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaAmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I need to find a place for 2 nights...does anyone have a suggestion? Cheap of course. Would like to try something/someplace different. Stayed in the Ren. Ocean Suites, Rad., HI and LaCabana. I checked The Mill and they want 200 a night!!!
You could try MVC Eagle Beach. It's cheap and very, very, basic rooms but....it is across the street from Eagle Beach and they have a nice little restaurant (Tulip) and bar on site. It's managed by the owners of Amsterdam Manor. Oh...and the pool is very, very (very!) tiny but...the beach is across the street.

http://www.mvceaglebeach.com/english/index.html

26th trip to Aruba: April 2012
27th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2012
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Aruba Expert

Carol is on a distinguished road

Elisa, have you checked with La Cabana to see if you can get a room at a special owner's rate? I know at Costa Linda they give us a nice discount which makes the additional nights affordable.

Orbitz, Priceline, and Travelocity have the Holiday Inn at $128 a night. The Holiday Inn web site also has this same rate.

Travelocity has Brickell Bay at $81.25 a night.

Good Luck!

Old Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
Elisa, have you checked with La Cabana to see if you can get a room at a special owner's rate? I know at Costa Linda they give us a nice discount which makes the additional nights affordable.

Orbitz, Priceline, and Travelocity have the Holiday Inn at $128 a night. The Holiday Inn web site also has this same rate.

Travelocity has Brickell Bay at $81.25 a night.

Good Luck!
Thanks Amy and Carol.

Carol...we usually rent one or 2 nights at the Villas with their special rate but thought we'd try something different. But last night hubby said we sould just stay where we are because the guy I'm renting from also has the following week. So if I take both weeks its still really really cheap. He only wants an extra 300 if I take both! I guess they won't care that I check out earlier right?

Amy....I've looked at their website before...yes the rooms are basic but looks cute! I'm definately going to try Tulip this trip...we didn't last 2 times and its within walking distance. Maybe we can do lunch instead of dinner. Seems everyone enjoys that better (on the reviews).
Old Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Amy B. is on a distinguished road

Elisabeth NJ - last year we added on a few days to our trip by staying at the Aruba Surfside Marina. You need to email them for prices, but they are very reasonable. We have a very detailed trip report about our stay there. It is located on this site under Other Accommodations. http://www.arubasurfsidemarina.com/html/

Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Amy
Old Wednesday, March 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Almost Aruban

Wow Amy B...this place looks nice. And next to Pinchos!!! I e-mailed them. The rooms are beautiful. I will read your report now!