Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Friday, August 14th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Aruba Expert

DiviAruba is on a distinguished road
Default Re: hi from aruba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
right above these posts, there is a line in yellow (with an ugly olive background) that says 'user cp, all albums, blogs, faq, community, calendar, new posts....' i click on new posts to see the latest and i also use quick links to use posts of the last 24 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
Divi... when you log on, the "New Posts" is right on top of the page..

User CPAll AlbumsBlogsFAQCommunity CalendarNew PostsSearch Quick Links Log Out
Thanks, found it.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, August 14th, 2009, 12:38 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: hi from aruba

Quote:
yesterday was another do nothing day. it's important do nothing so that you can remember it when you are busting your behind at home. dinner was at elliotti's for dinner. it was amazing and totally wonderful. we decided at dinner that we had to rate it a 9.7 out of 10. not sure why we reduced it .3 since it was about as near perfection as possible. i think we were having fun with the rating system and decided that really no restaurant should get a 10 except that food testing by ommi of cooks. murray had the lasagna that was the best we ever ate (yeah, i tasted it) and i had the penne arrabbiata which is supposedly an appetizer but our waitress (who was spectactular) said was more than enough for a main course and she was right. it was also perfect. it would not break my heart to return there during week two.
Where is Elliottis? Never heard of it before. I assume it is Italian since you got Lasagna and arrabbiata there. Is there an online menu?
Old Friday, August 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
Where is Elliottis? Never heard of it before. I assume it is Italian since you got Lasagna and arrabbiata there. Is there an online menu?
It is by Pizza Bob's. I tried to find a menu online and couldn't.

Old Friday, August 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

it is actually owned by pizza bob's. http://dinearuba.com/Documents/Ellioti%27s.pdf liz of nj, thank you for posting this for us.

Quote:
Old Friday, August 14th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what is wrong with me...in many estimations.
We lived in upstate New York and experienced many good neighborhood Italian restaurants in New York and New England.
So I am unimpressed with high-priced pasta in Aruba.
As timesharers, we will prepare at least one Italian style meal in our kitchen. Before airline restrictions, we brought things that made the process easier...bracciole from our favorite market was superb.
I think our cooking for 4 or so is a fraction of the cost of the usual restaurant meal.
We look forward to Aruba for seafood and native dishes. The other stuff we can prepare ourselves for the most part.
All the same, I wish Ellioti's the best. We do patronize Pizza Bob's...different pizza, good pizza, reasonable cost.
Old Friday, August 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
it is actually owned by pizza bob's. http://dinearuba.com/Documents/Ellioti%27s.pdf liz of nj, thank you for posting this for us.
Sherry that link does not work.

Old Friday, August 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator

sorry about that...
http://dinearuba.com/Documents/Ellioti%27s%20Menu.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiviAruba View Post
Sherry that link does not work.
Old Friday, August 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Thanks. I'm planning on going there in Dec.

Old Friday, August 14th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Aruba Expert

Kent is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: hi from aruba

Sherry, Keep them coming!!! That is soooooo good when we can read your post and act like we are in Aruba. You guys have a great rest of your trip. Kent

29th trip Nov 4th for 5 months!!
Snorkeling at Mangel Halto, day or night, using "bladefish water scooters", reasonable pricing, all equip provided and transport from your resort. Also free pics and a cd with over 200 Aruba pics.Email Kent Gerber at kentgerber@adamswells.com or Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call local: 745-7459 or visit:
www.arubabobsnorkeling.com
Old Saturday, August 15th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Administrator

one of the best things about my job as moderator is the people in the caribmedia office. tonight i got to spend an evening with all but one of them for dinner and drinks at a little place above the bus station called the turtle cove. only michiel missed it (hope the family feels better really soon).

dinner itself was very tasty. i had blackened red snapper and murray had a shrimp dish. prices were reasonable and drinks were large. the only problem was the service. the waiter was excellent at remembering the order and then who got each plate and drink. it's just that we really didn't get to see any servers much after the initial plate delivery. we asked if we could place an order for more drinks and without asking what we wanted, brought us a repeat of our first order. then we had to wait forever for the check. no refills on water either. so, although the food was at least a 7 or 8, only go if you have some patience.
Old Saturday, August 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
one of the best things about my job as moderator is the people in the caribmedia office. tonight i got to spend an evening with all but one of them for dinner and drinks at a little place above the bus station called the turtle cove. only michiel missed it (hope the family feels better really soon).

dinner itself was very tasty. i had blackened red snapper and murray had a shrimp dish. prices were reasonable and drinks were large. the only problem was the service. the waiter was excellent at remembering the order and then who got each plate and drink. it's just that we really didn't get to see any servers much after the initial plate delivery. we asked if we could place an order for more drinks and without asking what we wanted, brought us a repeat of our first order. then we had to wait forever for the check. no refills on water either. so, although the food was at least a 7 or 8, only go if you have some patience.
Sherry, are you getting any sun?
Old Saturday, August 15th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Administrator

yes but nobody wants to hear about beach time. here's what beach time consists of. get a palapa. set up towels and chairs. walk to water. get in water. get out of water. walk to palapa. lie down.

Quote:
Sherry, are you getting any sun?
Old Saturday, August 15th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
yes but nobody wants to hear about beach time. here's what beach time consists of. get a palapa. set up towels and chairs. walk to water. get in water. get out of water. walk to palapa. lie down.
Thats what I'm talkin about.That and eating out for dinner was all we did in May. A great relaxing trip.
Old Saturday, August 15th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Aruba Expert

I hate to say it, but all we do is sit on the beach from 7:00 - 6:00 p.m. We just relax for the whole trip. I will go to town once, but that is it.

Old Saturday, August 15th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road

No need to apologize... your schedule sounds exactly like mine except you get to the beach earlier. I go into town ONLY if it should happen to rain all day, and that sure doesn't happen often! I do go in occasionally at night to eat or drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiviAruba View Post
I hate to say it, but all we do is sit on the beach from 7:00 - 6:00 p.m. We just relax for the whole trip. I will go to town once, but that is it.
Old Saturday, August 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Dear Ommi,
I am so pleased for you-----you have surpassed even your own expectations. I read Sherry's report and I know she gave you an honest appraisal of your food. Congratulations,and keep up the good work. I have, and will continue, to recommend Cook's to friends who visit Aruba throughout the year. We had a wonderful evening at Cook's last February and look forard to visiting with you this coming year. Our Febuary list of friends is extensive and we will recommend you highly. Keep up the good work.
Mary
Old Saturday, August 15th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Administrator

somehow, we don't get to spend as much beach time but that's fine. when we are not on the beach we are with friends that mean the world to us. this vacation has been one of those where we were with wonderful friends and that is a perfect vacation for us. no worries, lots of laughs, and caring friends--what more could you ever ask for in life?

Quote:
Thats what I'm talkin about.That and eating out for dinner was all we did in May. A great relaxing trip.
Old Saturday, August 15th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Hi Sherry,
I enjoy reading your daily reports about Aruba. Tough that the intenet was down. Such is life!!! I too LOVE the Buccaneer. Hadn't been going to Buccaneer for several years but once I tried it again I am hooked. For the last two years I have been a repeat visitor, and look forward to dining there in February. Enjoy the rest of your vacation. Oh, how I wish Elaine and I were there with you now.
Old Saturday, August 15th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Aruba Expert

Cooks Restaurant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArubaMary View Post
Dear Ommi,
I am so pleased for you-----you have surpassed even your own expectations. I read Sherry's report and I know she gave you an honest appraisal of your food. Congratulations,and keep up the good work. I have, and will continue, to recommend Cook's to friends who visit Aruba throughout the year. We had a wonderful evening at Cook's last February and look forard to visiting with you this coming year. Our Febuary list of friends is extensive and we will recommend you highly. Keep up the good work.
Mary
Hi Mary, thank you for your kind words and the confidence in us. We are looking forward to see you and your friends here at Cooks. I will never forget the dirty rocks.
Old Sunday, August 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Administrator

last night was another wonderful food night. honestly, so far no place has compared to the tasting at cooks. however, some have come fairly close. last night was one of them. we went to rumba's. as we all agreed the other day to that a 10 is for only the most wonderful we had to only rate rumba a 9.7 for food. again, i am not quite sure what made us do that rule and rumba and ellioti's made it hard to abide by that rule, but we will follow our rule. the one thing we also agreed on was that the attention given to us by the waitstaff rated at a 10+. rumba has never failed us and continues to be one of our favorite places on the island.
Old Sunday, August 16th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Almost Aruban

ruba4ever is on a distinguished road

Love, love, love Rumba....always a great meal and great service. Plus alot of fun!!!
ruba

Old Sunday, August 16th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Administrator

yes! totally agree ruba. it is consistently wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruba4ever View Post
Love, love, love Rumba....always a great meal and great service. Plus alot of fun!!!
ruba
Old Monday, August 17th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Administrator

another lounge day here, lol. we actually had about 30 seconds of light drizzle while at the beach. cooled things down for a few minutes.

dinner was at pizza bob's. we always enjoy that place but we picked the wrong night. our waiter had just started his first day. we ordered onion rings to try as an appetizer and a pizza. our onion rings were about a 7. nothing special. our pizza was a disaster since he got our order wrong. we ordered sausage and mushrooms. a bob's special came with multiple toppings that murray hates. we called another waiter over and explained the problem and he took it back saying it takes 7 minutes to bake another. 25 minutes later the new waiter brought it out. very tasty except the crust was sort of 'well done' to the point that the edges were black. at that point we just ate what we had figuring we had already been there an hour when our food finally was there and we didn't want to wait any more. we then had to flag down the owner to get our check because we had now been there 90 minutes for a pizza and our waiter didn't notice us. we would rate the pizza at a 6. it would have been much higher if the crust wasn't blackened because the center pieces were really good. i sure do hope that the waiter learns quickly.
Old Monday, August 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM

aquarius is on a distinguished road

Hi Sherry,

Glad someone is still there in Aruba! lol We left on Saturday and with much sadness to have to leave One Happy Island. Was great to meet up with you and Murray last Tuesday. Glad to hear some of the restaurants you are speaking about that we didn't get to try like Cooks. Will put that on the list for next time. Did go to Chef's Table and it was really a wonderful place. Good food and the ambience was so warm and inviting with an attentive wait staff. Also on another note when we talked, the restaurant Old Man and the Sea turned out very, very good. We went with some friends and we could never again duplicate the good time we had there that night because everything was so perfect, from the wait staff to the food, the sax player seranading you while you are dining on the beach with a lovely tropical breeze. Perfect timing for relaxing and then receiving the bill. It was a definite 10 for us, so I thought I'd give you some feedback. They seem to be bending over backwards trying to please the patrons and asking if everything was to your liking. Have fun for the rest of your trip and I hope it slows down for you.

Marie

Relaxation on One Happy Island!
Old Monday, August 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM

JanetB is on a distinguished road

Sounds like heaven to me!!!!

Quote:
Old Monday, August 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM

getaway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Something is missing here.......I know.....where is the drink in your hand?
Old Monday, August 17th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Administrator

marie, we have dined at chef's table and agree with you. also thrilled about OMATS. the owner is a wonderful talented lady who has earned the right to enjoy the fruits of her labors. glad to hear she is back on track and going strong.

and, as you know, it was great seeing both of you. sorry we didn't get to visit again. seeing you once a year is not enough. friends need to visit more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
Hi Sherry,

Glad someone is still there in Aruba! lol We left on Saturday and with much sadness to have to leave One Happy Island. Was great to meet up with you and Murray last Tuesday. Glad to hear some of the restaurants you are speaking about that we didn't get to try like Cooks. Will put that on the list for next time. Did go to Chef's Table and it was really a wonderful place. Good food and the ambience was so warm and inviting with an attentive wait staff. Also on another note when we talked, the restaurant Old Man and the Sea turned out very, very good. We went with some friends and we could never again duplicate the good time we had there that night because everything was so perfect, from the wait staff to the food, the sax player seranading you while you are dining on the beach with a lovely tropical breeze. Perfect timing for relaxing and then receiving the bill. It was a definite 10 for us, so I thought I'd give you some feedback. They seem to be bending over backwards trying to please the patrons and asking if everything was to your liking. Have fun for the rest of your trip and I hope it slows down for you.

Marie
Old Tuesday, August 18th, 2009, 12:05 AM

lmccollom is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: hi from aruba

After much trial and tribulation, and one heck of a storm in Chicago, we finally made it home. We were supposed to get it about 6:00 p.m. last night...no such luck. It was about 1:30 by the time we got our luggage, picked up our kids, and got home. It was more difficult to go to work today than it usually is when I come back, but for some reason I got no sympathy whatsoever! (LOL)

As far as rating restaurants, I think the service at Rumba was at least a 12. They were amazing. Mo should be giving lessons to the other staff (except Cooks!). The gal at Elliotti's was amazing as well, although a close second to Mo at Rumba. The food at Elliotti's was wonderful...I had gnocchi, which you don't see often, and which is one of my favorites. The desserts were unbelievable as well. I had never been to Rumba and really enjoyed it, even though Doug wasn't feeling well. I was trying to make a list of my favorite restaurants, and it is really hard. Cooks was amazing, but I enjoyed everywhere we went. Pirate's Nest was wonderful too, as was Matthew's (sorry, Elaine, we didn't do karaoke....) and Wacky Wahoo (which is also just fun to say). So much good food, so little time! The cheeseburger and fries I had at O'Hare yesterday were really pretty good - especially for airport food, but a total anticlimax after a ten days of Aruba food!

Things at the Surf Club continue to be quite crowded and a little frustrating, but I won't dwell on that. Both the Marriott Stellaris and the Renaissance Ocean Suites have been re-done and are beautiful. The Ren continues to be one of my favorite places - great rooms, beautiful view from the balcony, excellent service, and the pool area is never crowded.

Sherry, when you mentioned the beach routine, I think you forgot to include the part where you snooze, and the part where I just stare at the water! (ha ha)

I have already been looking at airfare, etc. for our next trip(s)! I actually found tickets from here for $565. I about had a stroke. We don't have our dates set for June, though, so I couldn't get them yet. Crap. I think my heart is still racing from the excitement of seeing that price (and it was easy flights...DSM to ATL and then ATL to AUA, and then reverse it to come home....good flight times with only one airplane change - wow!).

Ahhhh, Aruba........
Old Tuesday, August 18th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Administrator

another day another beach time. last night we went to the paddock. we swore last year that after a terrible meal we wouldn't go back but what the heck, we are brave, right? so glad we did. for those of you who love the place...THE SERVICE WAS QUICK AND GOOD!!!!! murray said his bami goreng was excellent and my shoarma platter was really good. two sauces with it. they make a good drink and the prices are right. we figure it as somewhere between an 8 and 9.
Old Tuesday, August 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

I like reading about reasonable places to eat.
We have enjoyed and also had issues with the Paddock.
It is good to hear a positive review.
Have you ever tried the ostrich shoarma at the ostrich farm. It was good.
Old Wednesday, August 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Administrator

yay! i have internet. every time i tried to type for the last two days the internet died. so... let me quickly, before it dies again which made me forget to do this yesterday, say...

hi ralf and bianca (did i spell it right?) besides being really a lovely couple (young and handsome/beautiful) they have one of the cutest sweetest toddlers i have ever seen. poor little one was so tired but she fought it, woke up and started to smile and play. awesome baby that didn't cry even when too tired to move.

last night we were with some aruban friends who wanted to try the turtle cove. it really is a nice, reasonable, tasty little place, we enjoyed the restaurant and the company.

today we got to see a place called club arius. i will tell you about that once i get home and have time to add to my pictures. we also got a cat fix over at lizzardo and mick's home.

now off to find what adventures await us and to submit this post before the internet dies again.
Old Wednesday, August 19th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Aruba Expert

qlaval is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmccollom View Post
...Things at the Surf Club continue to be quite crowded and a little frustrating, but I won't dwell on that.
Both the Marriott Stellaris and the Renaissance Ocean Suites have been re-done and are beautiful...
You mean the Stellaris and the Ocean Club I presume...
By any chances do you have any pics of the redone units at the OC?
(I own there and I'm eager to see the results...)
Old Wednesday, August 19th, 2009, 07:57 PM

getaway is on a distinguished road

Sherry,
Did you make it to Charlie's Bar yet? Curious if they hung my license plate.
Old Wednesday, August 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Sooooooooooo..... what's on the agenda for tonight???
Old Wednesday, August 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Almost Aruban

getaway....doubt Sherry will be able to find your license plate if she makes it to Charlie's. I haven't been able to find my dad's plate, and that's after looking for 5 (will be six this Sept) years. But you never know..you may be lucky...I will just be forced to return over and over again and keep on looking....
ruba

Old Thursday, August 20th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Administrator

tonight we had dinner at a friend's home. i must say it was delish, the home was magnificent, and best of all we were with wonderful people that make us smile and laugh. believe it or not, we just got back to the room. no casino tonight.

Quote:
Sooooooooooo..... what's on the agenda for tonight???
Old Thursday, August 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Aruba Expert

Kent is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: hi from aruba

If you ever go back to Rumbas, please tell Joanic that the Gerbers say a big hello. She is the best waiteress I have ever seen in my life. She works breakfast and lunch 6 days a week. Her mother works in the towell hut at the Marriott. Claudett is her name and they are 2 people that you must meet in your lifetime. You will never forget them. Joanic got married last Feb and her husband is a cook at Moombas.

29th trip Nov 4th for 5 months!!
Snorkeling at Mangel Halto, day or night, using "bladefish water scooters", reasonable pricing, all equip provided and transport from your resort. Also free pics and a cd with over 200 Aruba pics.Email Kent Gerber at kentgerber@adamswells.com or Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call local: 745-7459 or visit:
www.arubabobsnorkeling.com
Old Thursday, August 20th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

And? A rating... food/service?? lol

Quote:
tonight we had dinner at a friend's home. i must say it was delish, the home was magnificent, and best of all we were with wonderful people that make us smile and laugh. believe it or not, we just got back to the room. no casino tonight.
Old Thursday, August 20th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Almost Aruban

elisabeth_nj is on a distinguished road

I haven't been around in a while (or at least posted, just lurking) and am so happy to be reading these daily events! I'm thinking of planning a trip back to the island for my big 50 in February and need to keep up with what's good and what's not (I totally trust Sherry's opinion). There are a few new places since our last visit and can't wait to try them.

A big HELLO from me! and Sherry...so glad you are having a good trip!
Old Thursday, August 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Almost Aruban

Hi Elisabeth...nice to see you. We've missed you. Hope life is treating you well. What a nice treat for a big birthday. You will have a blast. Good to have you around again...pop in more often okay??
ruba

Old Thursday, August 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Ditto everything ruba said!

Hey..... I'll be there in February, too!! Maybe we'll finally get to meet.
Old Thursday, August 20th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

sherry and murray ~ safe travels home!!

I can only imagine how you're both feeling at this moment. I HATE the last night. When I'm on the escalator looking at the sad faces of the people leaving, and before I even breathe in that wonderful Aruban air, I always know that time's going to fly by, and soon I'll be sitting there!

Oh well, how lucky are all of us to have found that wonderful little island, and have a love affair with her and her people!! I always say that I'm such a lucky lady to be able to have that home away from home to go to every year...
Old Thursday, August 20th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Almost Aruban

Have a safe and uneventful trip home...I agree with Elaine...last nights on the island are the worst. "See" you when you get back...
ruba

Old Thursday, August 20th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road

Safe trip home Sherry and Murray.
Old Friday, August 21st, 2009, 04:05 AM
Administrator

middle of the night... will not miss this shaky, being repaired internet that has been upgraded except for our area of costa linda that hasn't been turned on yet. can't wait to see our aruban kitten and his big brother (really big brother, lol) and that wonderful sleep number bed. will miss aruba and our wonderful friends,

did i mention that i will miss aruba and it was the wishing that it would last longer that woke me? i don't think there is any other place in this world that i think about every day.
Old Friday, August 21st, 2009, 11:40 AM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Safe ride home, guys! Nothing takes the misery out of leaving Aruba, like seeing the little faces of your "kids" when you return!

Old Friday, August 21st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Administrator

45 minutes thru lines and customs and into the business class lounge. i could get used to this, lol. give me airmiles or lottery winnings and i will get used to it.

but what???? stong internet signals? is that possible? we have so much time it could be a carvel ice/catch up on my emails type of wait. no crying room. this place is comfy.
Old Friday, August 21st, 2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
45 minutes thru lines and customs and into the business class lounge. i could get used to this, lol. give me airmiles or lottery winnings and i will get used to it.

but what???? stong internet signals? is that possible? we have so much time it could be a carvel ice/catch up on my emails type of wait. no crying room. this place is comfy.
The lounge makes leaving a little less traumatizing doesnt it? Linda also thinks she could get used to it plus the no baggage charges and seperate line at check in. FF miles is the only way we can afford it. Have a safe trip.
Old Friday, August 21st, 2009, 06:38 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

I hope sherry and murray don't experience a delay in their connecting flight! My brother was due to leave Pittsburgh heading to Philly at 1:30...there was a 4 hour delay because of all the storms surrounding the northeast...
Old Saturday, August 22nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Administrator

when we walked into our house it was 3am. terrible terrible delays from miami. we also walked in missing one piece of luggage which is in dallas, lol. i think i am going to lay low today and try to get some sleep. i will be back on moderator duty in a few hours, lol.

Quote:
I hope sherry and murray don't experience a delay in their connecting flight! My brother was due to leave Pittsburgh heading to Philly at 1:30...there was a 4 hour delay because of all the storms surrounding the northeast...