Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Thursday, January 8th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road
Default Why I Hate the Airlines

I am really confused. I just double checked JetBlue again and the fares are way cheaper in Feb and March than in May! How is this possible? Feb and March are prime time and closer in time.

Right now I can get AA for $466 non stop (JetBlue is close to $700) but I wanted to accrue my Trueblue points.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Think JetBlue will go down or should I grab the AA flight?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, January 8th, 2009, 10:47 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why I Hate the Airlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
I am really confused. I just double checked JetBlue again and the fares are way cheaper in Feb and March than in May! How is this possible? Feb and March are prime time and closer in time.

Right now I can get AA for $466 non stop (JetBlue is close to $700) but I wanted to accrue my Trueblue points.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Think JetBlue will go down or should I grab the AA flight?
If that fare is really good, take it. Last year we took our grandkids to Orlando. I wanted to get some good low fares on Southwest airlines (7 tickets) but I was planning this June trip in March and SWA did not have their rates past May 5th. Normally they keep their rates out about 5 or 6 months but for some reason they kept delaying the release of their fares past that date. I sent them emails, called management even went on a blog to try and get some help. All they would say is , we will stay competetive with our prices. American had some very good rates come up in the meantime but I waited for SWA. When SWA finaly put their rates out for the week I was going, they were a lot higher than American. I ended up flying AA but could have saved $75 a ticket if I had bought them when they were on sale at AA. I learned my lesson. Buy the ticket if its a good price, dont wait for something that may not come.
Old Thursday, January 8th, 2009, 10:51 PM

Smile Re: Why I Hate the Airlines

Quote:

P.S. that fare on a nonstop sounds super to me. AA is $915 from Tulsa with stops in DFW and MIA. Leave at 0700 and arrive at 10pm. Have seen the fare drop to around $600 from time to time.
Old Friday, January 9th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Aruba Expert

droykelly is on a distinguished road

$466 is a great fare. Do you really want to wait and take the chance just for a few points?

When shopping for flights, I check all the airlines and go with the one that has the fare and route that works best for me. If I accrue miles that will eventually be beneficial, that's a plus but points will never prevent me from grabbing a good fare when it's available.

I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Old Friday, January 9th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

corrine, i would never wait. i only wish that i could get non stop. add on a price of $466 and it would be wonderful. the only thing i can get from this area is a 90 minute drive to reagan airport for a 1-2 stop flight for that price. from baltimore a one stop flight is nearly $700. i have tried all airlines except jet blue since they only go out 4-6 months and i don't leave until august.

Quote:

Old Friday, January 9th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Arubaman is on a distinguished road

February and March are busiest months, that's why the airfare is cheaper in those months, with a full plane the cost is spread out. In February and March there may be 225 people on the plan compared to 100, divide the cost and that's how you get the higher airfare. Supply and demand.
Old Friday, January 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM

We have been booking flights from Boston for $189.00 each way W/O tax non-stop in the months of Feb. & March for our family members to come down to vist. You can beat that price.
Old Friday, January 9th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Administrator

amazing price! wish it was me. i can't get non-stop anywhere in this area. the one non-stop from dulles seems to now have stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubaman View Post
We have been booking flights from Boston for $189.00 each way W/O tax non-stop in the months of Feb. & March for our family members to come down to vist. You can beat that price.
Old Friday, January 9th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Almost Aruban

Thank you everyone so much! You put it in perspective for me!

I going with American!

Old Friday, January 9th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaAmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
i have tried all airlines except jet blue since they only go out 4-6 months and i don't leave until august.
JetBlue has fares available for travel through Sept. 8th right now.

26th trip to Aruba: April 2012
27th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2012
Old Friday, January 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Administrator

i just checked them. it's amazing that their prices are so high from baltimore, dulles and reagan. from dulles they are $628. american is $411. none of them are cheap from baltimore with american being the worst at 736!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArubaAmy View Post
JetBlue has fares available for travel through Sept. 8th right now.
Old Friday, January 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Almost Aruban

I grabbed the $466 non-stop both ways from AA. We used the money we saved to book one extra night in Aruba!

Thanks again everyone!

I can finally change my ticker!

Old Friday, January 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Administrator

that's wonderful corrine. i still haven't booked my trip.

Quote:
I grabbed the $466 non-stop both ways from AA. We used the money we saved to book one extra night in Aruba!

Thanks again everyone!

I can finally change my ticker!
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 08:18 AM

Tom and Pam is on a distinguished road

I just read about the AA price and sit here wondering, Will something change as it always does with this airline. I am sorry but I always go to Jet Blue. If the fare goes down we get a credit for our next trip. We fly during the week out of Boston, non-stop and never have a problem with schedule changes or stop over changes. . . . It maybe a little more (with weekday flights) but we like Jet Blue and will stay with them. . . . . As a side note, we have never paid more than $500.00 for a round trip, non-stop ticket. . . . . That's total cost with all taxes and fees. . . .

Tom and Pam
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Administrator

if jet blue offered a direct flight from bwi, iad or dca i would jump at it. jet blue doesn't. therefore i might as well go for price. from those three airports the price is a minimum of $100 more per ticket. american gives a charge back to your credit card if their tickets go on sale so i might as well go with the cheaper flight although i hate american. what the heck it gets me there and back and the extra money is a really nice extra meal or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Pam View Post
I just read about the AA price and sit here wondering, Will something change as it always does with this airline. I am sorry but I always go to Jet Blue. If the fare goes down we get a credit for our next trip. We fly during the week out of Boston, non-stop and never have a problem with schedule changes or stop over changes. . . . It maybe a little more (with weekday flights) but we like Jet Blue and will stay with them. . . . . As a side note, we have never paid more than $500.00 for a round trip, non-stop ticket. . . . . That's total cost with all taxes and fees. . . .

Tom and Pam
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM

We think Jet Blue is about the best way to fly, they have been right on with every reservation and delay's and
cancellations have been unseen.
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Almost Aruban

I agree that JetBlue is the best in on-time schedules and in comfort. In fact, I am in North Carolina now, after a perfect flight with JetBlue.

I have decided to suck it up with AA's lousy service and uncomfortable seating and use the money I saved to get an extra night in Aruba!

Old Sunday, January 11th, 2009, 10:36 PM

Smile Re: Why I Hate the Airlines

Quote:
I agree that JetBlue is the best in on-time schedules and in comfort. In fact, I am in North Carolina now, after a perfect flight with JetBlue.

I have decided to suck it up with AA's lousy service and uncomfortable seating and use the money I saved to get an extra night in Aruba!
We dont have jetblue here so cant compare, but I can put up with a lot of crap for $300 a ticket difference in price. We have never had a problem with the seats in AA planes except for the american eagle planes. Continental is the airline we find to have the seats with the least room. Very cramped seating.
Old Monday, January 12th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Bob that's the way we feel also, we take the 1:30 AM fight out of Boston, (189.00 W/O taxes N/S) if you can save 200.00 to 400.00 per trip for the reason of traveling early hours are well worth it.
Other ways we travel by using some of the charter fights in the past years there rates are around 400.00 to 500.00 round trip N/S