Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Wednesday, February 4th, 2009, 09:27 AM

aquaman is on a distinguished road
Unhappy KLM discontinuing service Amsterdam to Aruba

KLM has announced that effective Mar 29,2009 they are discontinuing their direct flights and will direct passengers to their sister airline, Martinair. See the following articles:

http://www.transportweekly.com/pages...rticles/57942/ KLM suspending Amsterdam-Aruba service Transportweekly . Com

KLM schrapt Aruba-route; passagiers omgeboekt naar Martinair 03-02-2009
AMSTELVEEN - KLM vliegt met ingang van de nieuwe zomerdienstregeling niet meer van Amsterdam naar Aruba. Volgens de luchtvaartmaatschappij was de lijndienst naar het Caribische eiland al enige tijd minder rendabel en hebben de huidige economische crisis en de tickettaks de resultaten verder onder druk gezet. Dat meldde KLM dinsdag (3 februari).

KLM-passagiers die al hun ticket naar Aruba hebben gereserveerd zullen worden omgeboekt op vluchten van Martinair, sinds kort een honderd procent dochterbedrijf van KLM. Martinair zal haar schema’s en capaciteit naar Aruba "aanpassen", aldus KLM. De zomerdienstregeling gaat in op 29 maart.

KLM vliegt op dit moment nog vier keer per week rechtstreeks van Amsterdam naar Aruba met een MD-11. Martinair zet drie keer per week een Boeing 767 in. Verder vliegt concurrent ArkeFly drie keer per week naar Aruba, eveneens met een 767.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, February 4th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KLM discontinuing service Amsterdam to Aruba

That makes no sense at all!

Old Wednesday, February 4th, 2009, 12:09 PM

aquaman is on a distinguished road

Here is the official Presss Release from KLM

KLM suspending Amsterdam-Aruba service

Amstelveen – Tuesday, 3 February 2009
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines is suspending its Amsterdam-Aruba service effective 29 March, 2009. Passengers will be able to continue to fly between Amsterdam and Aruba with Martinair. Martinair is part of the KLM Group.
All passengers currently booked on KLM flights will be rebooked. Martinair will adjust its schedules and capacity to Aruba. Special guidelines are being issued for rebooking passengers who already have reservations with KLM.
The profitability of this service has been declining for some time. The current economic crisis and the Dutch ticket tax have further increased the pressures on this route’s results.

For more information:
KLM Media Relations, Joyce Veekman, tel.: +31 (0)20 649 4545.

AMS/DR/JV
Old Thursday, February 5th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

It makes no sense at all. The tax is the same on flights to Bonaire and Curacao so that is a load of bull.

Besides I don't want to fly with Martinair to Aruba, nor Arkefly. I tried that in december and I did not like it. Did it with Martinair as well a few years back and I still have nightmares. They could always reroute once or twice a week their flights to Curacao through Aruba. They were always making a stop on either Bonaire or Sint Maarten on their way to Aruba anyway.
Old Saturday, February 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Ralf is on a distinguished road

I totally agree, I hate to fly ArkeFly and MartinAir (=KLM) is more for the tourists,.......... euh what am I

In 2002 I flew MartinAir as well to Aruba via Miami, but the space for your legs is less. And I've saved enough Flying Blue Miles to fly Business Class or free ticket in Economy class with KLM.