Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba Safety

Aruba Safety Safety issues for travel in Aruba and elsewhere.

Old Monday, April 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: More crime (hate to keep posting these)

Thanks, Sherry!

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, April 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM

islanddog is on a distinguished road

hi corrine, i don't want this to come out wrong, but the fact that someone would ask if any hotel would be safe for a laptop makes me a little worried for you.

bottom line at least for me is, i take the laptop, cause it's fun. but......... i either keep it with me, or keep my eye on it outside at the pool. i don't leave it in the car when i cruise with it. and the hotel front desk at most hotels will keep it for you if you ask. i leave no passwords on it, and on this particular computer there are no past charge numbers or purchases. and, if you want to password protect it so no one else can turn it on, that would be smart. i do leave it in the room, and although that is a risk, i consider it a low one in most hotels. anything can happen anywhere, but you can't live paranoid either.

the housekeeping staff seem to get targeted any time something is missing, but most often, it has been my experience that someone lost the property elsewhere, or simply can't remember where they left something. but housekeeping seems to take the hit way too often. a few bad apples i guess freaks us all out. but most seem to work their tails off and don't get the rewards most of us do in ours jobs. some would say that is a reason they steal. in most cases however, it is the reason they work harder than most others in hotels, and pick up as much overtime as they can.

so, in my humble opinion, most hotels are relatively safe if you take reasonable precautions.

useless info - something a lot of folks don't know about - there is a computer clearinghoue in upper canada that can track virtually any computer which is actually actively on-line. we cops know about it, or at least some do, but the general public for the most part really doesn't have access to the tracking links. it's something that can be used to locate a unit, anywhere, but is used sparingly, and usually saved for high profile cases.

sorry about the novel..... really
Old Tuesday, April 21st, 2009, 04:10 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Don't be worried for me! I have been traveling to Aruba and Europe for about 10 years now. Living in the NY Metro area, I don't trust anyone, I've seen it all!

Besides, I just realized I can check my email from my Blackberry, duh. I knew it was good for something!

Problem solved!