Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Closed Thread

Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Aruba Expert

Pantherus is on a distinguished road
Question Re: All Things Natalee Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan78
That's not gonna make sense. The only fact is that there are no known facts.
How do you know that? - I'm not trying to be asinine here, I'm sincerely asking if you know something I don't, since most folks are more up to date on all this then I am of late, especially the people in and around Aruba.

I've heard so many different stories in regard to this whole thing, thinking that they finally had enough to wrap it up, just to find out later on that it was nothing more then a rumor or speculation.

Have you've heard something that new, Jan, or are you pretty much at the mercy of the media like most of us up here?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: All Things Natalee Part II

I'll let Jan speak for herself on this one but, I'd like to try to give you an answer.

I don't think any of us know any more than you do. I think the point is, we are all pretty much at the mercy of the media (and the internet). The only one's who really know what is going on with the investigation are the ones from Aruba law enforcement and they're not talking (they can't by law).

So, therefore, Jan's comment that the only fact is that there are no known facts is right on the money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherus
How do you know that? - I'm not trying to be asinine here, I'm sincerely asking if you know something I don't, since most folks are more up to date on all this then I am of late, especially the people in and around Aruba.

I've heard so many different stories in regard to this whole thing, thinking that they finally had enough to wrap it up, just to find out later on that it was nothing more then a rumor or speculation.

Have you've heard something that new, Jan, or are you pretty much at the mercy of the media like most of us up here?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Aruba Expert

Thumbs up Re: All Things Natalee Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S
According to Greta, from a short report she did a little while ago, the night that Satish's lawyer was on television ... "playing to the camera," and dropping that little thing about belly shots for shock value - what raised a red flag was the fact that he said Deepak got off the computer at 3 AM which is about the time Joran supposedly called Deepak... Again - the timeline comes into play... did Deepak then leave his house???

Looks like ALE hasn't been sitting on their hands like the naysayers have constantly said.... I'm still waiting for that bomb they have to drop... My opinion is that if they re-arrested the two brothers, they sure as s---- have some new evidence to hold them on or they wouldn't have put themselves in a position to be castigated again!
Guess somebody forgot about the importance of remaining silent, hey?

I don't know about down there, but State side that's the most important right one has, especially if they're guilty.

LOL.
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Aruba Expert

Thumbs up Re: All Things Natalee Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlierat
I'll let Jan speak for herself on this one but, I'd like to try to give you an answer.

I don't think any of us know any more than you do. I think the point is, we are all pretty much at the mercy of the media (and the internet). The only one's who really know what is going on with the investigation are the ones from Aruba law enforcement and they're not talking (they can't by law).

So, therefore, Jan's comment that the only fact is that there are no known facts is right on the money!
Thanks charlie.

I wasn't trying to be a smart you know what, but I missed out on hearing anything about this case during the weeks I was gone, so now I'm at the point where I'm leery of believing much of anything I get from the media, especially after all the different turns and twists this thing has taken.

On another note: I can only imagine how Beth must feel by now, or how much of a toll all this has taken on her, so I was not shocked to hear that she is finally loosing it.

Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Almost Aruban

Hey, Pant,
Interesting points. I have a slightly different take on the lawyer's interview: it's not a 'right to remain silent' issue, it's an 'attorney client privilege' issue.

Before going any further with this thought, I should say, as usual, I don't know more than I do know. I don't know if Satish's lawyer discussed the content of the interview ahead of time with Satish and he ok'ed it. I don't know if everything that was said by the lawyer was already a matter of public record so there would be no privilege issue.

So, that being said, if Satish's own lawyer blurted something out on global TV that ultimately resulted in his own client getting re-arrested and, perhaps, convicted of some crime.... (fill in the rest with your own imagination).

And FYI, suspects do have the right to remain silent on Aruba (according to reliable posts on this board).
Quote:
Guess somebody forgot about the importance of remaining silent, hey?

I don't know about down there, but State side that's the most important right one has, especially if they're guilty.

LOL.
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Almost Aruban

We're kind of leapfrogging over each other at the moment but that's okay. You honestly didn't miss much of substance while you were gone (as far as developments in the case). I mean, since the Kalpoes were released from custody the first time, not much has happened. Yet, somehow, the story drew big ratings for all the cable news outlets. So, to fill the time and keep interest up, the media maintained a steady diet of rumor and speculation.

As for Beth loosing it, that was at its worst about two or three weeks ago, after her return to Aruba following her first trip back to Alabama. As you can probably tell from the tone of this thread, we're all kind of over it.

QUOTE=Pantherus]Thanks charlie.

I wasn't trying to be a smart you know what, but I missed out on hearing anything about this case during the weeks I was gone, so now I'm at the point where I'm leery of believing much of anything I get from the media, especially after all the different turns and twists this thing has taken.

On another note: I can only imagine how Beth must feel by now, or how much of a toll all this has taken on her, so I was not shocked to hear that she is finally loosing it.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by charlierat; Friday, August 26th, 2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Aruba Expert

amie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So, that being said, if Satish's own lawyer blurted something out on global TV that ultimately resulted in his own client getting re-arrested and, perhaps, convicted of some crime.... (fill in the rest with your own imagination).
I'd say, that would be a lawyer I would fire in a moment's notice!
"I'm not an actress. I just play one on t.v."
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Almost Aruban

I dare say you'ld have harsher sanctions available to you than just firing him or her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amie
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: All Things Natalee Part II

Silence IS golden. Lots of players under "suspicion," Has anyone heard anything about the other boy who was supposedly brought in today? I haven't at this point. I find it ironic that Beth wasn't on island when this went down... perhaps ALE had a method to their madness!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amie
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Me
Pick,Sorry

My eye sight is that bad, even with glasses. It is a chalenge when I drive.

Adds a little excitement to a boring trip
I say, Ed of Maine, post with any size font you want!!!
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Aruba Expert

Talking Re: All Things Natalee Part II

Quote:
Hey, Pant,
Interesting points. I have a slightly different take on the lawyer's interview: it's not a 'right to remain silent' issue, it's an 'attorney client privilege' issue.

Before going any further with this thought, I should say, as usual, I don't know more than I do know. I don't know if Satish's lawyer discussed the content of the interview ahead of time with Satish and he ok'ed it. I don't know if everything that was said by the lawyer was already a matter of public record so there would be no privilege issue.

And FYI, suspects do have the right to remain silent on Aruba (according to reliable posts on this board).
Oh well, I've always liked playing leap frog.

Anyway, I just wanted to touch on one aspect of all this before I've gotta head off for work.

That right should be most obvious in the conduct of one's counsel.

At one time in my life, I was a paralegal, and I remember that even back then, Attorneys were very careful not to talk to the media anymore then needed so as not to conflict, or jeapordize the case.

Other then prospecting for big civil money, I don't think Satish's lawyer did him any favors with that move, if indeed, that's what prompted all this, though I suspect that may have opened the can up, I would like to think that they (police) probably have a lot more to go on now, especially if they've re-arrested them.

Catch ya Later Charlie.
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Aruba Expert

Lightbulb Re: All Things Natalee Part II

Quote:
Silence IS golden. Lots of players under "suspicion," Has anyone heard anything about the other boy who was supposedly brought in today? I haven't at this point. I find it ironic that Beth wasn't on island when this went down... perhaps ALE had a method to their madness!!
Amen to that.

Hey, Psst: Elaine, I love your Pom-Poms.
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Almost Aruban

Don't work too hard. Catch you on the flip flop (sorry, inside joke)!

Quote:
Oh well, I've always liked playing leap frog.

Anyway, I just wanted to touch on one aspect of all this before I've gotta head off for work.

That right should be most obvious in the conduct of one's counsel.

At one time in my life, I was a paralegal, and I remember that even back then, Attorneys were very careful not to talk to the media anymore then needed so as not to conflict, or jeapordize the case.

Other then prospecting for big civil money, I don't think Satish's lawyer did him any favors with that move, if indeed, that's what prompted all this, though I suspect that may have opened the can up, I would like to think that they (police) probably have a lot more to go on now, especially if they've re-arrested them.

Catch ya Later Charlie.
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

Geez - I try and tell everyone to wait until Sept 4, and suddenly we have a big break in the case. I consider the re-arrest of the Kalpoes a big break, and a sign of things to come. I still will refrain from speculating on why and how this came to be, but am glad to see progress. I'm holding out hope that ALE can spit in the eye of the naysayers - so much spit will be necessary, but they'll be willing...

Pant, you really didn't miss a whole lot, just the same things over and over and over...a couple of members came and went, other than that nothing really...
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Quote:
Ame

Hey, Psst: Elaine, I love your Pom-Poms.
Why thank you, Pant! I'm kinda liking them too!!

Just heard that the third kid who was arrested is a friend and neighbor of Joran's... Greta has been trying all day to find out WHY, and can't get any answers. (LE is getting smart now)

Another website said that it's Joran's friend Freddy who was the one that supposedly slept over Joran's house the night Natalee disappeared and vouched for Joran when questioned.

Hang on to your pants... the ride starts again!
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Why thank you, Pant! Hang on to your pants
(Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll get serious, now.)
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Quote:
(Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll get serious, now.)
Now, now..... lol His pants, my pom poms!!
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Almost Aruban

You know, I may admittedly try and take over almost every thread with Red Sox smack, but I've noticed that Elaine seems just as prolific at bringing every thread into her gutter/backseat...
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Almost Aruban

Oh, don't be too hard on her, Mod Man, she's only trying to get into her comfort zone!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d
You know, I may admittedly try and take over almost every thread with Red Sox smack, but I've noticed that Elaine seems just as prolific at bringing every thread into her gutter/backseat...
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 06:18 PM

JohnWinTX is on a distinguished road

To tell the truth, I'm just getting so sick and tired of all of this that I've decided, for my own sanity, to tune out all the posts here about Natalee and restrict my exposure to news as it shows up on the ABC Nightly News broadcast (30-min each weekday).

After all, who really cares about a hapless female teen and whoever may be responsible for her disappearance? Hell, it happens every day and more than once each day. Who can keep up with each and every disappearance?

So why is Aruba under the magnifying glass, anyway? I guess one good thing is it keeps Greta off the welfare roll.
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Now just ONE MINUTE!! How come you didn't YELL at my other co-conspirator, Charlie??? Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez!!!

Quote:
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Almost Aruban

If I had needed to be yelled at, I'm sure I would have been yelled at. Face it, you're bad and I'm not. (36 seconds of revenge!!!)

Quote:
Now just ONE MINUTE!! How come you didn't YELL at my other co-conspirator, Charlie??? Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez!!!
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

You and my yin.... birds of a feather! No fair, you added 36 seconds!! lol

Quote:
If I had needed to be yelled at, I'm sure I would have been yelled at. Face it, you're bad and I'm not.
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Almost Aruban

Us 36 second-men need to stick together! Sorry Elaine - there's only one devil and the rest are just minions

Quote:
If I had needed to be yelled at, I'm sure I would have been yelled at. Face it, you're bad and I'm not. (36 seconds of revenge!!!)
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Shame on you..... after our long friendship!! And you're both far from darlings!!

Quote:
Us 36 second-men need to stick together! Sorry Elaine - there's only one devil and the rest are just minions
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Almost Aruban

Come on, everyone knows the bad girls are more fun!
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 07:44 PM

roxyluv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey, Pant,

The prosecution already knew what time Dee was off the computer, the lawyer only gave what evidence they already had.
The computers were brought in long ago.
BTW, just got back from vacation, camping for a week and hubby said no laptop.
Alot has happened from belly shots to Joran in his underwear, and the brothers being arrested.
Boy alot to catch up on.
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 07:50 PM

BBold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentrees
I see, so Beth has investigated this thing way beyond you & I, spent day after day working it, and yet you can honestly say that she knows less then any of us, or worse yet, that she's worse then Mansur?

Sorry, Pant

Her "investigation" ala joker private eyes, Mansur, egotistical dog posse handlers and a guy named Jug is tantamount to those old biased "investigations" of blacks not all that long ago. Her big "insight" into her daughter getting into "a cab" and Joran actually buying her daughter those ole evil "shots" (woe be us came on her trip back to Birmingham and detailed research into her notebooks

She has had a string of false allegations, accusations and false "leads."

Joran is no less or more naive than Natalee, who by all accounts was not what she has been made out to be by her mother. She was drunken, laying on the bar, got into a car with 3 guys and later turned down a chance to go with her classmates at the bus station, etc. The image of her bouncing jello shots off her navel at C and Cs is in sharp juxtaposition to "this nice 'lil bama debutante" that Beth has fashioned.

As for being "rich" , from all accounts, the money is on the Holloway side and they are getting all the freebies and attorneys and resources.

The Holloways just don't like fair play. Beth is obviously someone who has been used to getting her way, absent ole Dave excuuuusing himself from her tired act

I've said from the beginning that Joran and Natalee were very much alike and that is why Natalee was attracted to him and vice versa. Two peas in a pod.

They said last night that the Arubans near the courthouse after the hearing are tired of the American media and the way Joran had been treated in this case. many here are too.

You can call Beth's anger based blind accusations "investigation."

I call it ole fashiond "tar and feathering" justice that the Holloway/Twittys want. And she'll stomp her foot like an angry three year old on Fox when that does not happen.
Shhhh is Kevin watching
No?
Good! than I can say.........GOOD POST!!!! "stomp her foot like a 3yr old" I like it.....
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 09:28 PM

flora is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: All Things Natalee Part II

Kalpo brothers re-arrested this morning. A 3rd person was also arrested with the initials FZA (no name released). News on all cable TV stations.
Old Friday, August 26th, 2005, 10:02 PM

andrea j. is on a distinguished road

yup
go back about 50 posts or more and there is discussion about the arrests of the brothers and a 3rd person.

andrea
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 12:11 AM

mafalda is on a distinguished road

http://arubatruth.com/interesting new site...
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 01:52 AM

Ellen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anngie
It looks like the statement from the prosecutor's office pretty much eliminates the possibility of Natalee being alive somewhere, doesn't it?
I guess her parents have suspected this for some time but it is sad to take away their hope.
I heard that the charge of rape was added this time and therefore the clock starts all over again for the Kalpoe brothers. They can be held for that 117 (?) days maximum if the judge of instruction agrees that there is reasonable suspicion. The new guy Freddie was supposedly arrested for selling nude pictures of underage girls and might have pictures or other information that incriminate Joran is some way. He was one of Juran's original alibi witnesses.

On all the pictures I have seen of Joran, this guy Freddie appears with him. On one picture Joran described Freddie as "mi bro mes" which means "my real bro" and on another, as "mi bro Fefi" which means "my bro Fefi." Fefi could be the ring leader of the "gang," and I doubt that Joran would leave him out of the action. Besides being involved in creating the false alibi, he might have been involved in the actual crime itself and/or in the disposal of the body.

Last edited by Ellen; Saturday, August 27th, 2005 at 04:29 AM.
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Aruba Expert

DiviAruba is on a distinguished road

I think this is so sad that so many people are losing their jobs over this. The guy from the prison was supposedly suspended for 6 weeks, Kalpoes mother let go (unsure if it was because of this, supposedly not), PVDS losing his job (cleaned out his desk), the DJ, and so on. Never mind if some people will be deported! It was not very smart of the guy to allow the media in the prison, but 6 weeks is a long time.

I thought that since it was regarding the same incident the clock continues to run for the Kalpoes, it doesn't start again.

I think it was also poor wording by the Holloway's lawyer when she said that Joran and his frineds were a "gang". It does not appear that she meant a "gang" like in the US, but just friends. I'm sure the media will run with this.

This is such a sad time for the Arubans. I just wish it would end and the media would go home.

Last edited by DiviAruba; Saturday, August 27th, 2005 at 07:17 AM.
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Ed of Me is on a distinguished road

Hello Divi Aruba,

I might be dense; but, why is this such a sad time for Aruba?

I returned a little over a week ago and things were the same as they always have been. I did not notice any change in the day to day life.
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
I thought that since it was regarding the same incident the clock continues to run for the Kalpoes, it doesn't start again.
I believe they are saying it is a new charge, so it basically is starting the clock over.

On the site mafalda provided the link to, there is a letter from Jug denouncing the idea of an Alabama boycott of Aruba. Good to see - but dated Aug 4, not that long ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBold
Shhhh is Kevin watching
No?
Careful, I'm always watching...

(unless the Sox are on TV)
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Almost Aruban

Yes, indeed. Excellent read for a Saturday morning! Masha danki, Mafalda!

I paid particular attention to Prime Minister Oduber's request to the people of Aruba. I'm not going to be going back and editing or deleted my prior posts but I will heed Sr. Oduber's request henceforth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafalda
http://arubatruth.com/interesting new site...
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 08:22 AM

BBold is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: All Things Natalee Part II

Quote:
I believe they are saying it is a new charge, so it basically is starting the clock over.

On the site mafalda provided the link to, there is a letter from Jug denouncing the idea of an Alabama boycott of Aruba. Good to see - but dated Aug 4, not that long ago...

Careful, I'm always watching...

(unless the Sox are on TV)
I just have to get the Sox TV schedule
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Me
Hello Divi Aruba,

I might be dense; but, why is this such a sad time for Aruba?

I returned a little over a week ago and things were the same as they always have been. I did not notice any change in the day to day life.
Just because of all the negative publicity and so many people losing their lively hoods. Now the media is saying negative things about the prison, Joran, feet up reading a book, not a care in the world and being able to watch tv. Our system is like that too, they are allowed books and tv's, even some of those who are on death row! He is in the junvenile section which probably gives him more leeway than the adult section would anyway. They are also saying that he gets preferential treatment because of his father's previous job. It was mentioned that his father asked if he could practice football and that is all you hear on tv, but my understanding is that he was denied that. Do people really think celebrities in the US are not separated from the others in jail? Does everyone think Martha Stewart was not catered to? They are not letting Joran do what he wants although the press would make you think they were. I'll be there on the 4th, curious to know what will happen. I believe the only ones not fired / let go from their jobs are Deepak and Mrs. VDS. The DJ, Deepak's mother, PVDS, were let go. I'm not sure about the security guards as they had already lost their jobs due to the hotel being closed. Don't know if they were able to get new ones. I have to give credit to Ruben and the female lawyer from Aruba, the one who is always on tv. They are really making Aruba look good. Others are taken out of context or word it wrong because of the different language and the media jumps on it. I know for a fact that the media would not be allowed in a juvenile detention facility in MA without prior approval. All juvenile proceedings are confidential. So again I say, it was not very smart for the guard to let the media in, especially in the juvenile part, but it is also not fair that the media portrays the jail as a joke. My feeling is, for something that 5-10 people did, the whole island is taking the brunt of it. All you hear about is how inadequate the ALE is and the employees of the prison and so on...

Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBold
I just have to get the Sox TV schedule
Tonight at 7:05. Kevin you need a notebook computer so you can do both. Maybe you can afford one with all the money you will get for being a monitor. LOL

Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiviAruba
Tonight at 7:05. Kevin you need a notebook computer so you can do both. Maybe you can afford one with all the money you will get for being a monitor. LOL
Yeah that really helps pay the bills

Fenway = Home sweet home
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Yeah that really helps pay the bills

Fenway = Home sweet home
Oops, it should read moderator, not monitor, although they both are the same thing, but I did get your title wrong.

Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

divi...if that 'warden' would have been my employee he would have lost his job permanently. he did this without the authority or without permission and could have created a really big problem. 6 weeks was a generous punishment. as to deporting people, if you are illegal in aruba you know you will be deported if you are caught. wish they did that here. come here or there legally and you should be welcomed but illegal is 'illegal'.

the rest of what you said was right on.

Quote:
I think this is so sad that so many people are losing their jobs over this. The guy from the prison was supposedly suspended for 6 weeks, Kalpoes mother let go (unsure if it was because of this, supposedly not), PVDS losing his job (cleaned out his desk), the DJ, and so on. Never mind if some people will be deported! It was not very smart of the guy to allow the media in the prison, but 6 weeks is a long time.

I think it was also poor wording by the Holloway's lawyer when she said that Joran and his frineds were a "gang". It does not appear that she meant a "gang" like in the US, but just friends. I'm sure the media will run with this.

This is such a sad time for the Arubans. I just wish it would end and the media would go home.
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Aruba Expert

bentrees is on a distinguished road

Elaine,

re: "that little thing about belly shots for shock value ",

The attorney for Deepok was asked a very specific question by Greta -whether his client and Natalee were either drunk or using drugs.

He simply responded....no huge story or emotion involved....and said that there is no evidence of drugs by anyone and they were not used by anyone. He then said in response to drinking that all those involved at C and Cs and when they got in the car...the Kalpoes, Joran and Natalee...were all heavily drinking, too much. He said that Natalee's classmates had signed a declaration regarding the fact that Natalee was drunk and laying on the bar at C and Cs, and ingesting jello cubes with shots and bouncing them off her navel.

If there is any "shock value" that should be directed at Natalee herself...and the classmates who signed the deposition. I agree this description of her behavior is more shocking than what Beth would have anyone believe, but there was nothing inflammatory in the least about that attorney's remarks. He was very factual and has hardly talked at all throughout this process.

This has no more shock value than the hundreds of false stories and leads that Beth and Jug et all have used to stir the pot and make accusatory corruption comments etc.. Now, the defense attorney may have lied.......always possible...but that will be found out when...if..the details of this case go public.

Recall that Beth described these guys as "predators" because they bought her 151 rum as if her daughter had no self control or responsibility. That was a "shock value " story that she was sharing as if guys never do that in every bar every Friday in every bar in the US on college campuses.

At the outset of this story, she said Natallee did not drink, but her classmates giggled when asked by Greta (maybe the 3rd or 4th intreview after they lied initially) that indeed she was drinking.

There was nothing presented as shock value in wording or emotions,....far less than the daily barrage from say Mansur or the Private eye etc.

No doubt this episode shocked some but that is because of the picture Beth painted. Also, note that no one from the Holloway side or the classmates has come forward to deny this jello cube/navel story. And we all have seen that this is not a shy group to react intstantly to any comment from the ALE or the defense.
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry
divi...if that 'warden' would have been my employee he would have lost his job permanently. he did this without the authority or without permission and could have created a really big problem. 6 weeks was a generous punishment. as to deporting people, if you are illegal in aruba you know you will be deported if you are caught. wish they did that here. come here or there legally and you should be welcomed but illegal is 'illegal'.

the rest of what you said was right on.
I guess I just wonder if it is normal that anyone could go and see the jail and therefore the warden did not think it was a big deal, but like I said, it was not a smart move especially the juvenile section where Joran was, and with cameras.

I totally agree that illegals should be returned to their country, but it is sad that someone who was trying to help may have this happen to him. It is unclear if the info he gave is relevant either. I wish they would send the people in the US who are illegals back home also.

My feeling is still that it is turning the island upside down, and the press is brutal and not accurate in what they say, so I am sorry about that.

Are you home already?

Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
He said that Natalee's classmates had signed a declaration regarding the fact that Natalee was drunk and laying on the bar at C and Cs, and ingesting jello cubes with shots and bouncing them off her navel.
Did they sign these in the US? They had already left Aruba by the time all of this came out. Did the FBI have them sign them? Would they be legal? I think it still comes down to no one knows anything for sure.

Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

bent - you and I will have to agree to disagree. As to his response being factual, it was that of a defense attorney...

As to the rest of what he said as to declarations being signed by the MB kids and other things, he also said that his client Satish was a good boy and innocent....

I'm not going to go into the Beth and Jug thing again.... depending on where this story goes, this group could very well be predators. I'll reserve judgment until more "facts" are released.

Quote:
Elaine,

re: "that little thing about belly shots for shock value ",

The attorney for Deepok was asked a very specific question by Greta -whether his client and Natalee were either drunk or using drugs.

He simply responded....no huge story or emotion involved....and said that there is no evidence of drugs by anyone and they were not used by anyone. He then said in response to drinking that all those involved at C and Cs and when they got in the car...the Kalpoes, Joran and Natalee...were all heavily drinking, too much. He said that Natalee's classmates had signed a declaration regarding the fact that Natalee was drunk and laying on the bar at C and Cs, and ingesting jello cubes with shots and bouncing them off her navel.

If there is any "shock value" that should be directed at Natalee herself...and the classmates who signed the deposition. I agree this description of her behavior is more shocking than what Beth would have anyone believe, but there was nothing inflammatory in the least about that attorney's remarks. He was very factual and has hardly talked at all throughout this process.

This has no more shock value than the hundreds of false stories and leads that Beth and Jug et all have used to stir the pot and make accusatory corruption comments etc.. Now, the defense attorney may have lied.......always possible...but that will be found out when...if..the details of this case go public.

Recall that Beth described these guys as "predators" because they bought her 151 rum as if her daughter had no self control or responsibility. That was a "shock value " story that she was sharing as if guys never do that in every bar every Friday in every bar in the US on college campuses.

At the outset of this story, she said Natallee did not drink, but her classmates giggled when asked by Greta (maybe the 3rd or 4th intreview after they lied initially) that indeed she was drinking.

There was nothing presented as shock value in wording or emotions,....far less than the daily barrage from say Mansur or the Private eye etc.

No doubt this episode shocked some but that is because of the picture Beth painted. Also, note that no one from the Holloway side or the classmates has come forward to deny this jello cube/navel story. And we all have seen that this is not a shy group to react intstantly to any comment from the ALE or the defense.
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Administrator

yes, unfortunately i am home. beware people, mod squad momma is back!!!

i am not going to comment on what i think of the illegal's information because i have way too many bad words already in my vocabulary, lol.

the warden knew better and should not have done it. with all the bad press that has happened on the island due to american media, for him to go ahead without asking anyone else above him for an ok is unforgivable in my book. every time arubans deal with the media they get screwed.

hard to give a reply about it turning the island upside down without revealing information i promised others i would not release on this board. suffice it to say that it has upset many but arubans are wise people. they may have been disturbed but they are learning fast what they need to do to turn the island right side up again. they will survive this because they are survivors.

Quote:
I guess I just wonder if it is normal that anyone could go and see the jail and therefore the warden did not think it was a big deal, but like I said, it was not a smart move especially the juvenile section where Joran was, and with cameras.

I totally agree that illegals should be returned to their country, but it is sad that someone who was trying to help may have this happen to him. It is unclear if the info he gave is relevant either. I wish they would send the people in the US who are illegals back home also.

My feeling is still that it is turning the island upside down, and the press is brutal and not accurate in what they say, so I am sorry about that.

Are you home already?
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
i am not going to comment on what i think of the illegal's information because i have way too many bad words already in my vocabulary, lol.

the warden knew better and should not have done it. with all the bad press that has happened on the island due to american media, for him to go ahead without asking anyone else above him for an ok is unforgivable in my book. every time arubans deal with the media they get screwed.

hard to give a reply about it turning the island upside down without revealing information i promised others i would not release on this board. suffice it to say that it has upset many but arubans are wise people. they may have been disturbed but they are learning fast what they need to do to turn the island right side up again. they will survive this because they are survivors.
I agree on the illegals.

You are right about the warden, he wasn't thinking obviously. I think it all goes back to it being "One Happy Island" and one friendly island. I don't think anyone is prepared for the mean US press. The Arubans that are "trying" (yes, "trying" because they cannot get any words in) to be interviewed to set the record straight are not treated nicely and have their words turned around.

I know the Arubans are wise and nice people and that is why it drives me so crazy. Just want to stick up for them. On Thursday I will see for myself and will probably feel better after seeing how they are taking it, but from here in the US, my mind is running wild on how the Arubans are handling the situation.

I think I did read that they did eventually had a gathering of people in front of a government building recently. Not exactly sure if it did happen and if they ever talked to anyone from the gov't or press if this did happen. I know there was supposed to be one that was cancelled, but I think one may have taken place.

Ok, I am now off to do paperwork for work (on my day off) because I so stupidly booked this trip so last minute, but I am still so happy to go, it's work I could do without. Only 12 1/2 more years until retirement! That sounds awful.

Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Administrator

one piece of advice for anyone traveling to aruba at this time. the arubans are truly tired of answering questions about natalee. don't ask people about it. if they want to talk about her they will initiate the conversation. we may live it on this bb but they live it 24 hours a day.

Quote:
I know the Arubans are wise and nice people and that is why it drives me so crazy. Just want to stick up for them. On Thursday I will see for myself and will probably feel better after seeing how they are taking it, but from here in the US, my mind is running wild on how the Arubans are handling the situation.
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
one piece of advice for anyone traveling to aruba at this time. the arubans are truly tired of answering questions about natalee. don't ask people about it. if they want to talk about her they will initiate the conversation. we may live it on this bb but they live it 24 hours a day.
OK, I lied, one last message. It is so hard to do work on my day off.

I would not say anything to anyone. To tell you the truth I think I would let it drop if someone brought it up. I think it will be known by just seeing the Arubans. If they're all continuing to smile and be their pleasant selves, that shows to a point that they are doing OK. (And no, I do not think I am an expert in behavior/body language)

Closed Thread